[WIP] aPluginator - a "Get Plugins" directory for your minecraft server!

Discussion in 'WIP and Development Status' started by Ahniolator, Oct 11, 2011.

?

Would you use this on your server?

Poll closed Oct 25, 2011.
  1. Yes, it would make everything so much easier!

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Nope, it's easier for me to go find the plugins and download them myself.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Ahniolator

aPluginator
    Adding new plugins to your server - With ease!
    Project has merged with MagnaIpsum. You will soon see these features integrated with that plugin.

This plugin acts like a lightweight version of the "Get Plugins" portion of the bukkit website. You can search for, download updates for, and install new plugins all with simple commands while playing on your server. Only problem is, I don't have many plugins that are supported right now.

The plugin is not finished as of yet, and upon completion it will support:
    • Installing new plugins on the server (As long as no additional configuration is required other than /reload) Done!
    • Updating existing plugins Done!
    • Search Function: Search through supported plugins in a similar fashon as in the "get plugins" section of the bukkit website in game Done!
    • All with simple in-game/console commands, and you don't even need to restart the server!
    Todo:
    • Add more plugins to support
    • Add description command to get a description for a given plugin
    Here's a little preview video for what I have as of 10/12/2011, 7pm pst​

I would like to release the plugin with a few more plugins supported than just my own, so here is all that I need from you, if you want your plugin supported:

• Plugin Name: (Spelled exactly how it is in the plugin.yml, spaces** and all!) (Case-Sensitive)
    • Download Type: (BukkitDev/Static Dl link)
    • Download Link: (if using BukkitDev, all you need to do is provide the web page that your files are hosted on. ie: http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/burning-creative-suite/files/)
    • Download Location: (Where you want your plugin to be downloaded to. ie: plugins/BurningCreativeSuite.jar)
    • Keywords: (The category of your plugin for example, or what it does)
    ** If applicable

2. Offline

dak393

So the plus side to this versus say CraftbukkitUptoDate is the lack of a restart? Any thing else different?

3. Offline

Ahniolator

CButD only does updates, This is more of a plugin manager than anything. The only reason I called it plugin updater is because I couldn't come up with a better name. In hindsight, that was probably not an accurate title, hence the "Working Title" bit

This plugin is run in-game by commands, and is used to install/remove plugins from a server as well as optionally handle updates. I need to pick a more descriptive title

Updated op due to finished features etc.

@dak393 If any of my posts indicated that this plugin was trying to compete with CButD, I didn't mean for it to. It's essentially a lightweight version of the "Get Plugins" here on the bukkit forum that you can use inside your minecraft client. I apologize for any confusion. It would probably work best alongside CbutD in my opinion.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2016
  4. This is a good idea =)

I get confused with CraftBukkitUpToDate because even though it has been out a long time, there are not many plugins in the plugin list... and when the plugins DO get updated, and I place the file into the plugins directory and overwrite.. I get many errors due to the fact that I also had to copy over the latest version of craftBukkit and many plugins get broken.. There doesn't seem to be a way to cross-check the plugins with CraftBukkit so that the right version of the plugin is downloaded for whatever CraftBukkit version you have, or it will tell you otherwise, this could be a feature request? Optionally allow the user to choose whether they want this feature or not..

An idea... for every CraftBukkit release, create Folders (1240, 1370) etc. And for every plugin, place them in the specified folder for the specified version (if that is possible).

BTW I like the name of this plugin =) Keep up the great work. If you say this can be used alongside CBuTD, then thats great =D

ps. How about creating a source where anybody, Dev or Otherwise can upload the download links to a central server rather than everyone having to send you the links to the downloads for auto-updates? Spout could be useful, but again this could be done via your Auto-Updating/Downloading part of the plugin

5. Offline

Ahniolator

I'm not sure how well getting each version would work, and as of now, I'm going to assume that people know that what they are downloading may not be compatible with the version that they are using (if they are not using the most recent Rb). I'll only support plugins that are currently under development or are currently being supported so I don't end up with a lot of inactive plugins in the list.

As for the uploading the links and other information for a plugin to a website, I was planning on using MySQL for organizing them online, and having a submission page on a website where a developer could go and submit all of the information online. I do have a problem with people just being able to upload whatever they want, whenever they want, which is why I am using myself as a proxy and so I can check every submitted plugin and make sure that it is even compatible with the way that I am parsing the html and getting the download links/etc. It shouldn't be as large of a problem if the developer is using a static link, so long as every update that they upload gets uploaded to the EXACT same address.

In a final summary of what I mean by everything that I've said above:
    • Separating plugins into separate build directories: Possible, but at this point it would make it much too complicated for me to do at the moment.
    • Public directory where people can actively submit links + other information: This is a goal, but it will never be automated. For quality check purposes, everything will have to go through me to make sure it works correctly.
    • Downloading the most recent version of bukkit into a folder (If that's what you intended by the second paragraph in your post, which I may have misinterpreted and responded to it with my first point): Very possible, but it will be done on command instead of automatically.

6. Offline

codename_B

You might want to have a look at my plugin MagnaIpsum, which does this, but for every plugin on BukkitDev

7. Offline

Ahniolator

I honestly didn't even know that existed... I'm sorry if this is "encroaching on your territory", or however you would like to refer to it... The only real differences that I can find between them is that mine supports keyword search + plugin descriptions, and yours does not. Whereas mine needs plugins to be "added" to the directory, yours does not. Mine supports off-Bukkit-Dev downloads, while yours does not...

That's a little disheartening honestly... I even searched BukkitDev and the GetPlugins page for plugins that did even remotely close to this a week ago when I got the idea for this to make sure it hadn't been done before... I guess I just missed yours...

Big "What now?" statement comes to mind. :(

8. Offline

codename_B

We work together on an even better one?

Ahniolator and Don Redhorse like this.
  9. Offline

Ahniolator

This works for me :)

10. Offline

codename_B

Join me on #bananacode on IRC (irc.esper.net)

I think we'd be better off using at least some of the MagnaIpsum codebase, but I'm all for a rebranding under both of our development (and anyone else you want to get involved)

Hope onto my channel and we'll discuss it further when you get the chance, you're also invited to join my dev team :)

11. Offline

Ahniolator

Alright, I'm on IRC. Sorry I took so long to respond, I fell asleep :p

12. Good luck guys =)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.