Who's been on my server

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by CoachieX, Oct 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

CoachieX

Hi. I'm very inexperienced in administering a Bukkit server. Can I see which users have visited the server (but are not necessarily currently logged in)? Can I see their IP address? Can I do this from an in game command as an OP?

Thanks for your advice (and patience—I couldn't find an answer to this by searching documentation)

2. Offline

timtower Administrator Administrator Moderator

@CoachieX You could always check the server log.
    Or get a plugin that logs such things, don't really see the usage of it though.

3. Offline

CoachieX

4. @CoachieX Interested to know why you want people's IP address.

Khriz and timtower like this.
  5. Offline

CoachieX

Hi. My server is for my kid. He's only invited a few friends to play on it. At this point I haven't used the whitelist functionality. I'd like a way to see if more users than I expected have logged on over time, in which case I would use a whitelist for trusted users.

6. @CoachieX Whitelist doesn't take IP addresses so this does not explain why you are looking for them. You also don't need an IP address to keep track of people, you have usernames and UUIDs available.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  7. Offline

oceantheskatr

Since it seems you want to keep the whilelist off for now, what you should do is whitelist your kid's friends and keep the whitelist off, but have that list of trusted players. Then, if you ever have the need to turn it on, you can and the trusted players will still be able to join.

8. Offline

Tecno_Wizard

Relax a little. There's very little chance there's any intent of harm here. He probably didn't even realize you could whitelist by account UUID.

However, @CoachieX, walshy is correct in that you don't need to have a player's IP to create a whitelist. All you need is either their in game name or UUID.

Bukkit has built in whitelist functionality through the server.properties file. Set the white-list field to true and save the file while the server is stopped. In game, you can add players to the whitelist using the in game whitelist command. Don;t bother with the whitelist.json file. It's not something that's friendly to self-editing.

9. Offline

CoachieX

Thanks for the advice. I think I get what you're saying. After some more investigation, now I (think I) understand that the server is authenticating through Mojang accounts.

Instead of even mentioning IP's, I should have just explained my use case more clearly: I would like to know if users that my son didn't specifically invite are accessing the site. If possible, I would prefer not to use the whitelist as long as strangers aren't using the server. My reasoning is that my kid and his friends are young, and I'd like him to be able to easily invite friends without the added complication of whitelisting.

So if I can just see a list of usernames that have accessed the server, that would serve my purpose.

Thank you. This is a very helpful suggestion.

Thank you so much. I appreciate the instruction.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2016
    oceantheskatr likes this.
  10. @CoachieX
    Although it may get quite annoying, you could always check the server log, as it says exactly who joined the server and when.

CoachieX likes this.
  11. Offline

I Al Istannen

@AlvinB @CoachieX
    I am actually bored enough to be writing a program to do what Alvin said. I will edit this post if I finish it.

Edit: Here it is. Source is packaged within.
    1. You will need to select the "logs" directory of your server (if you don't it will check every file accessible from the selected dir. So just selecting your server dir works too, but will be a bit slower. If you select "C:\" however... .
    2. It will "freeze" for a while after you click go, as it crawls through your log files. This may take a while, but shouldn't be too long.
    3. The biggest harm this program could do is crash itself. Nothing to worry about. If you want you can go through the source within or ask another person you trust to do it.
    Screenshots:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    CoachieX and oceantheskatr like this.
  12. Offline

Issyur

Tell me, and if I administer the Bukkit server, may I know that the person comes to me using a proxy? Or, it may be inpossible?

CoachieX likes this.
  13. Offline

I Al Istannen

@Issyur
    I am not quite sure who you wanted to address. The program currently doesn't extract the IP address.

You can get the IP address of the user logging in, but to decide if he uses a proxy, you would need to have a list of known proxies to check against.

So it is possible but it won't catch all and you will need a list first.

CoachieX likes this.
  14. @Issyur
    If I were you, I wouldn't bother checking that, as even with the best list of proxies in the entire world, it's still super easy to bypass.

CoachieX likes this.
  15. Offline

CoachieX

Perfect, thanks.

16. Offline

maks244

i used it but it freezed, then a minute later it stopped and i was in the same screen again.

17. Offline

I Al Istannen

@maks244
    Interesting. It works for me, so there must be something different. Is your log folder big? What operating system do you use?

I don't know how proficient you are with computers, but could you start the program using the command line?
    The command is "java -jar path/to/jar/file". If the jar file is called "program" and is in "S:\Downloads", it would be
    "java -jar S:\Downloads\program.jar".
    This output would probably help the most, as errors are better logged there.

Thanks for that :)

@CoachieX
    Have you tried the program? Just to see if it works for you :p

18. Offline

maks244

I accidentally wrote this message and I can't delete it.....

I opened it with the command line and I got the same result.

My log folder is pretty big: 822 MB

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2016
  19. @maks244
    When you ran it in the command line, did anything come up?

I Al Istannen likes this.
  20. Offline

maks244

yes the program

21. @maks244
    I mean, did any text pop up in the command line?

22. Offline

maks244

no

EDIT: I deleted every log file but not the latest and it worked it was just to much i think

23. Offline

I Al Istannen

@maks244
    Yea, it is not paticulary efficient... :p The fact that Gzip can achieve a quite good compression doesn't really help either. I could probably make it work with larger files too, but I am not sure if that is needed.

Thanks for finding it though, I didn't even realize it was this bad, until you tried it. Thanks again!

24. Offline

maks244

np

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.