What OP is best for a Bukkit Server?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by bigbass1997, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

bigbass1997

Hello. I have been running a bukkit server on my Windows 7 computer and I was wondering if there is a better operating system for running a good bukkit server. What do you think is the best OS for a bukkit server?

2. Offline

c0mp

I tend to prefer a headless linux box with SSH for the console and samba for easy plugin updating. No GUI or other unnecessary programs, daemons, or services running. I use Ubuntu Server Edition, but there's also MineOS, which is specifically for Minecraft and comes with some nifty features.

3. Offline

md_5

Linux of course.
    I use Ubuntu server, although any Linux should do for optimum performance.
    Oh also its OS not OP

4. Offline

NuclearW

I too would suggest a form of Linux.

MineOS is likely the easiest, but personally I would suggest Debian.

5. Offline

WizzleDonker

I recommend Ubuntu Server... it is what I use.

Mainly because FTP access is easy to setup using the ubuntu cloud service and you can provide FTP access to the server for people who are plugin developers or something.

Ubuntu server is also low on unecessary system resources.

6. Offline

Gnatz

I fully agree with you, but for security reasons I would suggest NOT using Samba if the server has public access. SSH/scp does the job for me, especially with WinSCP on the client side.

7. Gentoo linux without genkernel, with dev-java/icedtea (not dev-java/icedtea-bin) and wisely choosed use- and cc-flags is probably the fastest you can find. :p

8. Offline

emericask8ur

@c0mp
    LOL

9. Offline

Galdrak

What would be a decent hardware set-up for a mid-range (price) server?

10. Offline

Herogx

linux is a coders os as far as i know, so dont get linux unless you know exactly what to do,I think windows server 2008/10 would be good, i dunno if 2010 is out,but 2008 is extremely good.

11. Offline

Vhab

There's a distinct lack of FreeBSD in this thread. :(

@Herogx 2008R2 is the latest.

12. Offline

Largo Usagi

We generally use Debian Linux for almost everything if you do a minimal install, you have no bloat and you add and build components as you go. Also building the kernel from source is a nice way to tweak things in. Ubuntu server though based off of Debian has a lot of bloat its called Linux for the masses because its simplified with lots of shit already there so the end user doesn't need to do as much work to set it up. Another strike against Ubuntu is that its based on the latest testing version of Debian each time, for a server environment you want tried and true and stable, not bleeding edge. Ubuntu is great for learning Linux but I recommend a shift to Gentoo or Debian in the future, and the comment on FreeBSD, that's also a fun viable choice for a server but never tried to run minecraft on it.

13. Offline

mindless728

well, technically you could use Server 8 Technical Preview if you were feeling brave

14. Offline

TinuvaGeogroda

Vhab: For personal stuff I only use FreeBSD but devs tend to forget FreeBSD with compability a bit so for actual server stuff I generally use Debian.

Iunno I can't back it up with figures but for me Ubuntu has always been the desktop OS I just prefer my bare Debian even tho some packages are outdated (other repos <3).

Also Gentoo is nice too.

tl;dr: Debian.

Edit: Also for the guy going Linux is a coders OS: Programmers might use it more than others but really all you need is being able to read and type the language your OS is in and some common sense.
    Just because it looks different to what one is used to (mostly Windows) doesn't make it any harder to use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.