"This porject is not a java project" help!

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by tooncool64, May 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

tooncool64

so, i am making a plugin.
    When i try to add a package to my maven project it wont let me add a package becuase "This project is not a valid java project!"
    Please help!

2. Offline

TryB4

tooncool64
    This is help for Bukkit not your IDE.

You should also at least provide more information if you ask for help with something that is not Bukkit.

3. Offline

tooncool64

TryB4
    I am using eclipse. I was following the Plugin tutorial on the wiki, and when i tried to add a package,
    The error

4. Offline

MineStein

tooncool64 Do not use the Plugin tutorial on the wiki. The only good and recent tutorials are by @PogoStick29Dev

PogoStick29 likes this.
  5. Offline

Not2EXceL

Are you retarded? The wiki not only works, but is much faster and better than watching a video on how to create a Maven project.

SuperOmegaCow likes this.
  6. Offline

MineStein

Not2EXceL Excuse me, do not talk to me like that. PogoStick29Dev teaches you advanced plugin tutorials, and Maven is not used. I apologize for any inconvenience I may have caused. When I learned to develop, I tried to use the wiki. It was not enough to learn well. A video tutorial shows you step by step exactly how it is.
    ~ Sorry, you made me feel bad for trying to be helpful.

PogoStick29 likes this.
  7. Offline

ZeusAllMighty11

You have to add your package in the src/main/java/ folder, unless otherwise specified. Did you try that?
    ?

8. Offline

tooncool64

ZeusAllMighty11
    Thank you all, but i got it under control now!

9. Offline

Not2EXceL

Don't talk to you like that? So what you're saying is you don't know java, and you had to watch step by step tutorials on how to do simple things? Pogo doesn't teach advanced bukkit api topics. Also the bukkit wiki has been updated to include maven in the plugin tutorial.

10. Offline

xTrollxDudex

MineStein
    The total disregard you have for BukkitWiki astonishes me. His videos are mainly for beginners (correct me if I'm wrong PogoStick29 ), the official source of plugin documentation are bukkit javadocs and BukkitWiki, and that's IT.

Also, you are really misguided about the actual meaning of "advanced". It's really the use of Maven, Git, IntelliJ, OOP, Concurrency, NIO, Performance, Profiling, debugging, ad hoc mechanics, and Reflection. Did you learn any of that yet?

11. Offline

MineStein

Not2EXceL Oh please, I am learning. Again, I apologize for any troubles I may have caused. On the other perspective of things, PogoStick29 has very nice tutorials for both advanced and basic tutorials. Sorry again - Have a good day!

12. Offline

AoH_Ruthless

MineStein
    It's not troubles you are causing ... your information is just completely misguided, and this warrants discussion. If you are still learning a lot of basics you aren't really completely qualified to be trying to help others.

13. Offline

MineStein

xTrollxDudex Sorry, I truly am. I was just trying to give perspective to a beginner from a beginner's point of view. I have read the BukkitWiki, it is not exactly easy to understand right away. PogoStick29 has good tutorials for learning a lot of the parts of the BukkitAPI. From there, you use other sources (I.E BukkitWiki and the JavaDocs).

14. Offline

xTrollxDudex

MineStein
    You don't need to be sorry, its all good if you've learned something new :)

AoH_Ruthless likes this.
  15. Offline

PogoStick29

I think that my videos get advanced, seeing as I've made 67+ Bukkit videos and other coding videos.

16. Offline

MineStein

PogoStick29 All of which, by the way, are excellent :D

PogoStick29 likes this.
  17. Offline

bdubz4552

File>New>Java Project.
    Problem solved.

18. Offline

Wizehh

No, his minigame game tutorials were far more extensive and advanced than your own minigame tutorial.

PogoStick29 likes this.
  19. Offline

xTrollxDudex

Wizehh
    No, it takes longer to watch a video than read a wall of text.

20. Offline

Wizehh

Your tutorial was very basic, and it would be a bit of a stretch to call it a minigame. Even if you do call it just a framework, it was still lacking in substance.

21. Offline

xTrollxDudex

Wizehh
    I didn't call it a framework, I just pasted some code, show people how it works, get them to understand how OOP works and design patterns, throw in some collections API and get/set, you got arenas. Have you looked at my 70th edit yet? My first 69 edits were all written on an iPad and iPhone.

22. Offline

SuperOmegaCow

xTrollxDudex
    I don't see why Object Oriented Programming is "advanced" programming. When you first released your how to make multiple arenas I though it was going to be buried because basically you just told them what OOP is... Nothing more.

23. Offline

xTrollxDudex

SuperOmegaCow
    The amount of people that actually understand what OOP is and the concept of OOP is minuscule... You only think that because you are a well grounded developer and thinks that it's a really easy concept.

The truth is, it is a really easy concept, but people need to be able to understand how it works. Ask a few people this question: "Do you know what OOP is, how it works, and how to use it?". You'll be surprised how many people will answer yes and no. There aren't that many that will answer yes.

I wished there was a real video on how to use concurrency, thread safety, performance stress testing, IO optimizations, NIO, netty, sockets, all of that great stuff, in a high quality format, good, accurate information, but such a resource doesn't exist - The best thing I ever got was the books on those subjects.

24. Offline

SuperOmegaCow

xTrollxDudex
    OOP is life. OOP is future. OOP is EVERYTHING.

25. Offline

xTrollxDudex

SuperOmegaCow
    The fact is, his code was very, very similar to my own, just explained in more detail per line. I tried to comment out as mug as I can how each line works. Only a bit more functionality was added so that it was different, plus some extra to aid with paintball gameplay.

26. Offline

Garris0n

Not to say that there is anything wrong with his videos, but this statement is absolutely ridiculous.

Also, his tutorials are by default more out of date seeing as he can't simply update them along with a change.

PogoStick29 likes this.
  27. Offline

MineStein

Garris0n This was over a while ago, do not keep going about this.

28. Offline

Garris0n

Then edit your post admitting that it was a ridiculous statement and should not be regarded as true in any way.

29. Offline

Onlineids

Shots fired

30. Offline

Garris0n

Somebody may happen to read his post and then leave the thread. That person would be horribly misinformed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.