The recent update for Bukkit (API changes, and code wipes)

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by Lildirt, Mar 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Lildirt

Well.
    Here we are, March 8th 2012.
    Bukkit surely has grown from it's old days in three-digit builds.

This has to be one of the biggest updates in Bukkit history, at least for the four-digit builds history.
    As this has occurred, API has been changed massively. Most 1.1 things won't work for 1.2 any more.
    I want to know everyone's thought of this on how this works. The API has changed, most plugins in the world are broke, and not many of us are having luck with our old plugin devs updating.

I actually know a few devs that have quit just because of this update, and it's heartbreaking to see that a update for fresher API drop a dev off.

Any final thoughts before they release a RB?

2. Offline

desht

Most? That's some serious hyperbole, there. Some deprecated classes and methods have been removed from 1.1-R6 on onwards, in particular the old event API and old configuration API. Some plugins are currently broken, many are being/have been fixed, and those that aren't being fixed are because their developers couldn't be bothered to stop using deprecated API's back when they were deprecated, and presumably can't be bothered to update to the new API now. Is that the sort of plugin you really want to be using on your server?

3. Offline

Acrobot

The new event system and all the new things, such as chest.getInventory() returning a double inventory if the chest is a double chest are AWESOME changes.

The only thing I miss was the old Configuration class, because it didn't throw exceptions, but I can live with the new one just fine :)

4. Offline

Lildirt

Acrobot, the maker of ChestShop?
    I'm glad you're not dead too.. I've found out some of my critical devs are out of business since build 1337.
    Well, I suppose you have a point there desht. I guess I'll have to drop the InfiniteClaims and InfinitePlots though. Bye creative :(

Oh well, not like anyone would really use it on a PvP server.

Regardless to that matter, I guess it's time to remodel my plugins folder ;)

EDIT: I guess you're right about that new API though.
    I found it funny the JAR you download is like, half the size it used to be.

Also, does anyone know any good logging plugins that are currently updated? I know LB is absent, I refuse to use BB, and I don't know the condition of HE.

:/

5. Offline

Vhab

Yes, you're terribly misinformed.

6. Offline

Lildirt

Could you be anymore blunt and obvious about it?

7. Offline

Superkabii

LB works perfect. A good deal of plugins have alternate builds out that work just fine.

8. Offline

Vhab

That might be tricky, but I'm open to suggestions.

9. Offline

Lildirt

I must have been blind, but yeah I found a working version here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.