[Request] Comets.

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by Brock Blocking Samson, Mar 10, 2011.

?

Comets

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. Hi, this was posted on the hmod forums as well but I feel I will find more success here. I want this to come to life.

Heard this from a viewer mail on a podcast. I'm not stealing the idea only trying to bring it to life. not sure if this has been posted here. I put my own spin on the ideas I heard.

I'm looking for someone to program this!
    Starting details are: Feel free to brain storm:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. The comet would be seen in the sky for days to weeks before impact. (Minecraft time, not real time of course) Impact would be a random spot on the generated world map.

2. It would first appear in the sky as a small sparkle, getting larger and larger as the time draws near... "do you see that? where's it gonna land?? Oh no I hope my house will be safe. Hide your children."

3. once the comet hits the planet: the meteor crater would be 5-10 times larger than a creeper hole. If close enough you will be able to hear impact. (creeper explosion sounds x10)

4. Once the player(s) find the crater: the meteor itself (made of cobble, smooth stone, gravel, mud, fire and obsidian) can be mined into and around to find rare ore. I'd imagine the meteor would be a rough sphere shape and about 15x15 or larger. We could even have different sizes for different meteors, small, medium, large, and the rare super large.

5. This goes without saying, if the meteor lands on you, you die.

6. In the final stage (I'd imagine the whole process would have 4-5 stages) the meteor enters the true world (highest altitude player is allowed to go) as a burning ball and crashes into geometry.
    ---
    1st stage: Far away in sky, tiny light
    2nd stage: (2 to 3 days later) Larger light
    ...and so on
    ---

7. Crashed meteors give off smoke for the first day.

8. Obsidian would be the only block invulnerable to meteor blast. Could be altered in plugin properties to allow more /less.

9. Multiple meteors: Meteor Shower, also edit-able in plugin's properties.

10. ???

Other notes:
    The discover factor for this would be amazing. Imagine your server witnessed the comet up in the sky, but now it's gone, it had to land somewhere, Where is it?

**map programs (like cartgraph) would make it fairly simple to find crater holes.

Writing this post made me excited multiple times.

Hopefully reading it gets you excited as well. We need someone to step up! Everything is open to new ideas and or change. This sounds like it would a lot of work but the payoff would be huge.

What say you? Any other ideas? Programmers? Make my dreams come true.

Attached Files:

2. Offline

RyanTheLeach

sounds cool, the difficult part being, how do you have it as a sparkle in the sky?
    closest approximation i can think of, is having physical blocks in the sky but that doesn't seem nearly as fun.

3. Someone was interested in making this for hmod but gave up. He did make progress though.
    I think what he had in mind is the comets appears small out in the distance at first(1x1-2x2-3x3 block) and as it draws closer the physical chunk of meteor grows, So it appears it was that size all along and and its simply getting closer. Sound good? Sparkle isn't necessary. Is particle effect smoke possible? That could work.

Below are his notes:

"what i could do is make it so there is a 'comet' that spawns 64 blocks in the sky, it then every like 2 minutes moves one block down, untill it hits a block it then carrys on moving quickly for 5 blocks (the time between travel decreases as it gets closer to the ground) but 5 blocks above its head a tnt is spawned (ignited) that blows a hole in the ground, so that all that is there is the comet... made out of either ice, obsidian or cobblestone!
    i could make it so as well as it happening automatically (it would be triggered by various things that happen commonly, but the trigger doesnt go off if a meteor has appeared within the last 10 minutes) you could also trigger it with a command, like /comettarget
    then you rightclick somewhere, and if like the automatical response, it has appeared and gone off within the last 10 mins then nothing happens and you get a message saying 'there are no comets nearby for you to summon"
    "hmmm maybe the meteor looks like this;
    @ = cobblestone
    + = insides/prize
    0 = nothing
    layer one
    OOO
    O@O
    OOO
    layer two
    O@O
    @+@
    O@O
    layer three
    OOO
    O@O
    OOO
    so meaning the meteor will be 2 crosses merged into each other, making the center the 'prize' sometimes this prize is just cobblestone though
    the comet (to make it seem smaller) only starts off as 1 until it enters the 30 seconds stage where it will turn into this shell and eventually explode!"

4. Offline

ChrisX930

I want this plugin :D

5. Offline

Waterwolf

Rofl I will definately look at this :)

6. Offline

alta189

7. Holy cow. No way. Thanks for the Link alta189.

8. Offline

alta189

welcome!