[REQ] Join a town, with a command

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by RowdyKingDippyo, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Offline

RowdyKingDippyo

Hi,

In towny it's required for someone to add you via /town add <playername>

Can I get a custom command plugin to allow the player to type /town join <town_name>
    and join the town themselves?

Thanks,

Seb

2. Offline

amunro

Doesn't this defeat the entire point in having towny as a user-controlled anti-grief system. I guess you could try to implement it so that it is togglable like in factions wether someone can join without an invite.

Machete.Panda likes this.
  3. Offline

RowdyKingDippyo

Towny is protected, I want players to join themselves, is this possible? And how?

Thanks

4. Offline

Tomskied

Towny is protected because of the way it manages users. If you let someone join a town, without permisison from the Mayor or assistants, they could greif the town if build and destroy is allowed in the town for members.

5. Offline

Retricide

@Tomskied
    The mayor could set build to false in the town, even for members - so the point of joining a town is to purchase a plot in that town (for individual protection).

If possible, I would pay if a plugin could be created so that a user joins a town upon purchasing a plot. For example, player B wants a plot in TownA, so he stands in it and does /plot claim. Even though he is not a member of the time at the time of issueing the command, he gets added to the town and the plot is claimed by him automatically.

6. Offline

Tomskied

Yeah It would be nice, but the problem is that if a mayor is selling land, but he still wants to be selective about his residents then it could be abused. Maybe if there was a setting that the mayor could use to allow join for HIS town, so it didn't work globally. This could work.

7. Offline

RowdyKingDippyo

I want anyone to join in my town.. I'm not selective about my residents.. and ofc, I could ban them..

But yeah, per town would be good.

8. Offline

Retricide

Yup. I'll make a more formal request for this later today or tomorrow.

9. Offline

Machete.Panda

Wouldnt this mean a griefer could join a town and grief it with out asking.

10. Offline

Retricide

Nope - not necessarily, at least. Read my post - its a tried and true system on many servers, but isn't done through Towny.

11. Offline

RowdyKingDippyo

If anyone gets a plugin please post it here!

12. Offline

amunro

I suggest you post this as a request on the towny thread.

13. Offline

Retricide

It's been one for months now. Apparently it was created in December, but it's not present in any build to my knowledge. If I'm wrong, I'd love to be corrected.

14. Offline

amunro

I personally don't like the Towny plugin or its development. They have changed developers several times and not much has changed since its original developer. It needs a complete rewrite and should atleast be MySQL compatable in my opinion. The amount of times the flat files have bugged out for me (roughly 3 times a day until I deleted the plugin) is too bad. Personally I use factions now. Since it added economy support, it is far more stable and flexible with other plugins.

15. Offline

RowdyKingDippyo

I know a server that allows players to join themselves.. not sure how it works :/

So it's possible!