RealFluids

Discussion in 'WIP and Development Status' started by mindless728, Feb 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

rominos2

mindless728
    Hey, that's looks quite amazing.
    But it's just outdated.
    Do you give me the authorization to give it a crack ?
    Perhpaps I'll update it. ^^

2. Offline

mindless728

rominos2 have at it, the code is a bunch of crap as it started out as a demo and added features as it went along. I was going to give a crack at integrating this with FluidFlow (its on bukkit dev) but ran out of time between school, work, and running a server

https://github.com/mindless728/RealFluids
    https://github.com/mindless728/BlockStorage

those are the github repos you would need, BlockStorage is how I keep track of the fluid height which was independent of the fluid height data value so it was more configurable

3. Offline

rominos2

mindless728
    Ok thanks.
    I don't promise to make it better it but I have some time and I'll look at that.
    And at least, I'll make it working with the last RB

4. Offline

mindless728

@rominos2 no problem, I just don't have time to update it at all, not to mention the poor performance if it is not handled just right. I basically determined that it wasn't really feasible on the server

5. Offline

agentcaboose

hey can someone send me the plugin the download says error 404 not found plz help

6. This plugin sounds promising, hope it gets fully working soon...

7. Offline

rominos2

TakeruDavis
    Hi,
    For the moment, I'm focusing on updating my plugins to 1.4.5 (long time since i've been there) and then I'll work on RealFluids.
    Don't worry, I hadn't forget you

8. Offline

rundmx

good plugin but dead

9. Offline

rominos2

rundmx
    Yes I had not time to do it.
    Sorry.
    One day perhaps.

10. Offline

mindless728

Well this plugin would need a lot of work to get into a state where it would be useable on a server. The code does not scale well when there are a lot of fluid events.

Some things I had in mind
    • Making the effective volume smaller (less calculations)
    • Have large bodies of water be considered infinite sources
      • Emptying large bodies cause most of the scalability problems
    • Make the calculation back end multi-threaded

I really think that in order for the plugin to be useable on a server the code would need to be completely redesigned and rewritten from scratch using the known limitations of the current system.

11. Offline

rominos2

mindless728

I've done that rewriting some months ago.
    I've use some metadata to store informations.
    Use a Thread to make calculations
    I've handled all the WaterFlow Event on the server and it's fine if you have no huge waterfall :)

12. Offline

mindless728

rominos2 you should have seen it with the old code when you drained an ocean, fluids went to a standstill, at least I put in a limiter so it didn't use the entirety of a server tick to process events

13. Offline

rominos2

mindless728
    I've seen videos of that.
    Now you're talking about it, I want to recode some parts.

I'll try to make something nice

14. Offline

mindless728

rominos2 if I had time I would like to redo this myself, but porting Xinu over to the raspberrypi fora class is killing most of the time I have extra in a week

15. Offline

Gravity

This thread has been locked at the OP's request.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.