Read First: What to do when taking over someone else's plugin

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by RROD, Feb 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

RROD

So here's the scenario.
    You've seen a plugin in the inactive/unsupported forum and you'd like to re-release it.
    You decide to download it, test it with the latest build and upload it here.
    Well that would be stealing.

There are faults with doing this, including legal:
    • You have just uploaded a plugin written by another developer without their permssion.
    • You have just taken credit for writing this plugin, yet you have written no code at all, or very little.
    • You have not checked the plugin's licence (GPL, Public Domain, etc).
    • It may work with the latest build, but the code is not clean - it could have deprecated functions.
    • It most likely contains bugs that would need fixing before releasing.
    So what do I do if I see a plugin that I really want? I can't just take it, can I?
    No, you can't. This is what you need to do:
    • Ask the developer if you can take this plugin and keep it updated.
    • Also ask them for the source code - if it's on GitHub you can just download it, but be aware of the licence so you can keep it the same.
    • If the developer agrees you can have it, keep proof. If they don't, then don't take it.
    • In the new thread, you need to state the original plugin developer and that you have their permission.
    • If a member of staff asks for your proof, give them it. In fact if anyone asks, do so to avoid confusion.
    I can't get hold of the plugin developer! They're not responding to my messages! What do I do?
    Then you can't take their plugin without their permission, so don't take it.

What to do if you see a stolen plugin:
    Report the thread if you think someone has posted a stolen plugin. From here on you don't need to do anything.

What are the consequences for stealing a plugin?
    • The thread could get closed if it is found that you didn't do it intentionally.
    • If it was intentionally stolen you, could recieve an infraction or ban from the forums/BukkitDev.
    • The thread closed and moved to LAWL posts for humiliation.
    • Other decisions based on the judgement of Bukkit Staff.
    Also, there's this scenario:
    You have made a plugin based upon a tutorial and you wish to release it.
    Don't even consider releasing it...
    This was made for teaching purposes, and the plugin has (with no doubt) been release before by someone else. Also, tutorials are designed to be easy to follow so coding by one is easy. You don't need to release all plugins you make. For example, some of my plugins are private to my server. You can't find them elsewhere.​

Ice_Sword and Lolmewn like this.
  2. Offline

Lolmewn

What if.. the developer is missing since months?
    Good thread btw :)

3. Offline

RROD

Then you can't get their permission, can you? I'll add that.

4. Offline

Don Redhorse

you DON'T need permission if the license allows to take the code and reuse it, this is a restriction which is implemented by the bukkit staff and not ideal when the developer is MIA. (Note: Political correct wording)

you SHOULD always give credit though, even if you rewrite the plugin from scratch as you take over an idea.

you SHOULD also make changes to the source you took over and be sure you know that you can keep the plugin working.

If there is no source, but the threads state that you can use the source (aka GPL etc) you can decompile... but that is a little bit shaky.. otherwise decompiling isn't very nice.

If you just take over the plugin... keep the name... give credit... that is I think the most important thing if the developer is MIA... renaming a plugin and saying you coded it is stealing or imposting (?)

my 3 cents..

RROD and Ice_Sword like this.
  5. Offline

Chipmunk9998

Thanks for the tips. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.