Quick server download query

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Onza40, Feb 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Onza40

When you run craftbukkit.jar for the first time, it auto-downloads the latest version of the minecraft server (at least from memory I think it did, but do correct me if I am mistaken).

On subsequent runs, does it check for updates, and download if appropriate?
    Or does it simply always use the downloaded one?

Whichever it is, where does it save this downloaded server file?

I just noticed my server is running 1.2_01, when I know the latest (for client at least) is 1.2_02, for the skin download fix.

2. Offline

fffizzz

as far as i know, its in the craftbukkit binary, so if a new version came out, you'd have to update your craftbukkit. I dont even have a minecraft_server.jar.

3. Offline

Pezmantbh

The latest minecraft server is _01... However the client is _02

As far as I know, the Minecraft server is contained within CraftBukkit.

4. Offline

TnT

You are mistaken. Nothing at all gets downloaded from the Minecraft.net servers when the server starts.
    The Bukkit server still updates skins and uses the Minecraft.net authorization servers, just like the vanilla server does.

There are no updates for it to check against. Bukkit is the Minecraft server - recompiled. You update your Bukkit by downloading a newer build from the bamboo site.

No downloaded server file exists.

Server version is still 1.2_01. Client version is 1.2_02. You can verify this if you don't want to take our word for it by running the vanilla Minecraft server.

5. Offline

Onza40

Cool, thanks for the replies guys, was just remembering how hmod did it I guess

6. Offline

TnT

First step to learning Bukkit: Forget hMod.

7. Offline

Onza40

Lol yup, but then what happens when notch releases his own moddable server :p

8. Offline

TnT

I hope he doesn't go through all that hassle. There are already servers being developed that do that, so I hope he works with the teams (whether its Bukkit or a different server mod). I don't think he'll go that route anyway, but who knows.

Either way, the community will adapt, then you and I can relearn whatever we need to relearn. :)

9. Offline

Onza40

Tbh, from scanning the posts on notch and the other devs twitters, sounds like they are working quite well with the bukkit team, so I think bukkit is the sound option for servers, in terms of a long lifetime option :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.