pisses me off

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by Toxic__Waste, Jul 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Toxic__Waste

This is just a lil rant post

I see tekkit and all it has and even on their front page it says made from the bukkit core and can use bukkit mods

I know the bukkit team works hard and it really makes me mad to see theft in this fashion
    Tekkit takes what bukkit has done and other mods like buildcraft indutrail craft packaged it
    and now take donations from others hard work

and dont say well they done some things on their own with out all the crap they use from others they could not have done nothing

on their fron page

Tekkit uses Bukkit!

That’s right, the self-contained Tekkit server is Bukkit at its core, allowing you the entire Bukkit plugin catalog to be run with Tekkit. Many thanks to the minds over at MC Port Centeral for their devotion in porting vanilla SMP mods to the Bukkit platform

thats bullshit

2. Offline

sillyrosster

That's like saying, "Bukkit uses Minecraft!", which it does. If the devs. of those mods had a problem with it, then they would tell the Tekkit guys. Don't assume the worst without knowing any of the real faqs. For all you know, the Tekkit guys have permission!

3. Offline

Coelho

Bukkit is open source.

4. Offline

Toxic__Waste

ik its open source see but if you install a minecraft server and a bukkit server they both use the same launcher so there is no real modding of the minecraft jarfile where tekkit comes along and pulls apart bukkit and remods it
    so all the plugings the devs make work with it
    now whos to say the plug in developers wanted there stuff to be used with tekkit

I just think its a low underhanded way of making something and getting donations for doing it
    I do donate to plug in devs for their hard work

I was wondering on the front of the minecraft launcher it says do not distribute
    well isnt taking that launcher and adding to it stamping your name on it still using the minecraft authentification servers oferring the launcher on a different site and taking donations
    isnt that distributing

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2016
  5. Offline

CarlosArias604

I'm pretty sure they mean the .jar... As anyone can download launcher even when not logged in, The launcher doesn't contain anything of value in it so I don't see why Mojang would care.
    Tekkit also uses Spout's launcher so if you want to consider legality take it up with the Spout team; Although Spout/Tekkit is not the only Mod with a launcher so I'm going to say the fact it has a launcher is irrelevant.

This doesn't make much sense to me as plugin Devs released their plugins to the public for a reason, You can't really release it and say no I don't want it used under certain circumstances; That's just like making a flash game or something and getting mad at someone for playing it with IE...
    If I recall they also state that they have permission from every mod maker who has mods in Technic or Tekkit.

-C

6. Offline

TnT

There are many groups out there that take Bukkit/CraftBukkit and expand upon it. Tekkit, Voxelbox and others. Voxelbox takes CraftBukkit and modifies it into an awesome play experience. We encourage that, not discourage it.

I have no problem with them doing that, all I ask is they support their users if and when those modifications cause server problems. Since we do not know how extensively those modifications change the code, there is no reasonable way for us to provide support.

Cirno, damunzy and Zino like this.
  7. specially for voxelsniper :D

8. Offline

blackice504

i have to admit that this person is on to something, for example i recently posted a how to add a mod to the tekkit pack, they got really upset about it, and all this mod did was allow BC to IC and IC to BC energy i only showed people a link to the mod and how i got it to work with tekkit ( block IDS changed) now this to me made the tekkit pack better.
    i have and don't see a problem with adding to someone else's work as long as you ask or sometimes they just give it to public under GNU, what gets me about tekkit they use other peoples stuff and thats fine but you add to theres oooo thats big no no, even tho it states nothing in there rules about it, also i stated that if they get problems do not contact tekkit staff about it.

In short there is something wrong with the tekkit team but its not that they use other peoples mods or plugins or launchers its how the expect people not to look at what they done, and the moderators ego's ect.

Read the GNU then understand what it is, i think the only company that has abused GNU would be Mac OSX as they proffit from others peoples works and only mod on a OS, to me that is bad.

Donations are fine i believe your paying for the Tekkit team to mod bukkit and craftbukit and give you a simple pack and there is nothing wrong with that as Donations will not make you rich and most of the time fall short of keeping there website up or keeping the bills paid for what the server uses in power ect, the rest is left over for people to work and that is far less then you would think, in that respect they are doing you a service.

Have a Rant about MAC OSx ripping peoples work and making a profit on it, this company is the most ruthless company in the world at leased M$ tells you that you are paying Programmers and support as they writen most of it from scratch or built the OS.

9. Offline

Lolmewn

I don't quite see the problem here, it's great they're giving credit at all!

afistofirony likes this.
  10. Offline

Necrodoom

honestly, this pretty much equals server owners requestng donations.
    they just use bukkit as a base.

firecopy and jorisk322 like this.
  11. Offline

sillyrosster

I clicked on this thread, read the first post and was about to reply until I scrolled down. Thanks for that :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.