Overrun By Squids

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by nisovin, Apr 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

nisovin

EDIT: Guess I should search before posting, there's already a discussion here: http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/analysis-minecraft-server-lagging.11078/

I seem to have a problem on my server. There's a certain spot on the map that seems to be the cool dive for all the cool squids. They gather for miles, a good 50 of them at least, and all hang out, frolicking and dancing about, in the same map chunk.

Now, don't get me wrong, I have nothing against squids. The issue is that all of that frolicking tends to lag out anybody nearby. It starts as a bit of lag, then quickly escalates to major lag. Then the poor player's FPS begins to drop, until they can't do anything and their game crashes.

If I mass murder them (with /butcher from Worldedit (I think?)), then the lag issue goes away. But I feel bad for doing that. They were just having a party. And it doesn't stop them for long anyway, new squids come along soon enough. Now I've written a small plugin to prevent squid spawn altogether, so we'll see if that helps any.

Anyway... any ideas anyone? Is this a strange issue with just this map? A vanilla issue or a bukkit issue? I really have no idea. I think I've even heard other people with a similar lag issue, though I don't know if anybody has blamed the problem on squids before.

2. Offline

SirHedgehog

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.