Operation timed out

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by tigerpoop, Mar 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

tigerpoop

Just to start, here is my server properties
    You are up to date!
    174 recipes
    27 achievements
    12:35:24 [INFO] Starting minecraft server version 1.1
    12:35:25 [INFO] Loading properties
    12:35:25 [INFO] Starting Minecraft server on *:25565
    12:35:25 [INFO] This server is running CraftBukkit version git-Bukkit-1.1-R3-b1846jnks (MC: 1.1) (Implementing API version 1.1-R3)
    12:35:26 [INFO] Preparing level "ShadowCraft"
    12:35:26 [INFO] Default game type: 1
    12:35:26 [INFO] Preparing start region for level 0 (Seed: -1114542065)
    12:35:27 [INFO] Preparing start region for level 1 (Seed: 1411796576916232583)
    12:35:27 [INFO] Preparing spawn area: 0%
    12:35:28 [INFO] Preparing start region for level 2 (Seed: 1411796576916232583)
    12:35:28 [INFO] Preparing spawn area: 85%
    12:35:28 [INFO] Server permissions file permissions.yml is empty, ignoring it
    12:35:28 [INFO] Done (2.444s)! For help, type "help" or "?"
    >

So the first time I ran this, it didn't work properly. It said another server was already running through my port. I restarted the computer and it worked after that. I stopped the server for the night and turned it back on in the morning. Above is the message I got. It didn't say that my permissions file was empty before. But that is not my problem. When I try to get on my server, it says "Operation timed out!" in the preview of the server on the server list. I can connect to it but only by using localhost. I did not seed to earlier though and it actually showed the server as running and not red how it is now. Anyone know how to fix this?

2. Offline

Snipes01

This is in he wrong section, but lets see um yeah if you are connection to a server that is hosted on your computer on the same network you just use localhost. Permissions.yml empty doesn't mean much it just means the main permissions.yml in the main directory is empty so it ignores it. Are there any other errors? Also you are aware you are running r3 right? I'm just trying to make sure.

3. Offline

tigerpoop

Yeah I just realized it was in the wrong section. But why doesn't the server show up as online anymore? It did earlier. And nobody else can log on. It just tells them that their login timed out.

And what is r3?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2016
  4. Offline

Snipes01

In your server properties is the ip blank? No one can log in? Then maybe port forwarding was not done right.

Bukkit-1.1-R3

That is the version of bukkit you are using.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

5. Offline

tigerpoop

It's blank. And I have no idea what port forwarding is. I looked it up and it says it's possibly dangerous. Is my version of Bukkit old? I just got it two days ago...

I just realized I didn't post my server properties... Here they are
    #Minecraft server properties
    #Thu Mar 08 16:05:29 PST 2012
    allow-nether=true
    level-name=ShadowCraft
    enable-query=false
    allow-flight=false
    server-port=25565
    level-type=DEFAULT
    enable-rcon=false
    level-seed=
    server-ip=
    spawn-npcs=true
    white-list=false
    spawn-animals=true
    online-mode=true
    pvp=true
    difficulty=1
    gamemode=1
    max-players=20
    spawn-monsters=true
    generate-structures=true
    view-distance=10
    motd=Welcome to ShadowCraft, the Medieval Minecraft experience\!

6. Offline

Snipes01

Okay..I know what the problem is...

First tell me do you have any plugins installed? If so could you list them for me. Now your are running r3, there is r4 and r6 already out. R6 is the latest build, but not every plugin is updated, but most are updated to r6. Check out dl.bukkit.org for builds.

Now if you can tell me the model number of your router? After that I will link you on how to port forward. Port Forwarding is not dangerous its basically telling your router to let data run in and out of a certain port. For people to connect or anything to send data to your server you have to have an open port.

If port forwarding is too difficult them look up Hamachi, by LogMeIn...

EDIT: So the problem is port forwarding is not set up.

7. Offline

tigerpoop

No plugins. I want to get the server actually working first. The model number is DIR-601. It's a 2WIRE.

8. Offline

md_5

Moved to Bukkit help

9. Offline

Snipes01

Well DIR is not 2Wire its DLink, but here it is http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Dlink/DIR-601/Minecraft_Server.htm

Do that and the server should be able to be connected from the others. Also update that craftbukkit jar to at least r4, but you'd be better of with R6.

I have DIR 615 so its almost the same as yours. Let me know if people can connect to it.

10. Offline

tigerpoop

Okay that's weird. I had r6 downloaded but for some reason an old one was being used by the server. And I will try that.

11. Offline

Snipes01

Oh the issue with it using the old jar is in your start.bat

Just make sure the name in the bat file is the same as the file you downloaded. You can just post it here and we'll tell you what to change.

12. Offline

tigerpoop

I don't have a bat file. I don't think Macs have that. But I know it works without it. Let me try port forwarding now...

Okay. So I can't port forward because I have a mac. So instead I went to no-ip.com and did some stuff there. I made a host there and it gave me an ip. I tried using it but it said there was another server using it.

13. Offline

Snipes01

I didn't know you have a Mac (hehe) that's a bit different. I have to direct you here http://wiki.bukkit.org/Setting_up_a_server#Mac_OS_X because Macs are not my thing.

14. Offline

tigerpoop

Yeah that's what I have been using. I used it three times to try to get it to work. That just tells me how to get the server set up (which I have). I just can't get the said server to actually work properly. My friends can't even log in from the same wifi. I switched over to the vanilla server I had and they had no problem connecting. I would use that server but I want some plugins...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.