Odd Glitch

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by mattrick, Nov 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

mattrick

Sorry if this is something stupid, but when attempting to get something from a config file and send it to the player, it just send the word "false" to the player. here is my code if it helps:
    Show Spoiler

Code:java
    1. public class EventListener implements Listener {
    2. public EasyAnswers plugin;
    4. public EventListener(EasyAnswers plugin) {
    5. this.plugin = plugin;
    6. }
    8. @EventHandler
    9. public void onChat(AsyncPlayerChatEvent event) {
    10. if (plugin.getConfig().contains(
    11. event.getMessage().toLowerCase().replaceAll(" ", "_"))) {
    12. event.setCancelled(true);
    13. event.getPlayer().sendMessage(
    14. plugin.getConfig().getString(event.getMessage().toLowerCase() .replaceAll(" ", "_")+".answer"));
    15. }
    16. }
    18. }

2. mattrick16
    Maybe have an else statement to allow a chat message to be sent if it doesn't contain "_" ?

3. Offline

1Rogue

Print out variables. My guess is the path doesn't exist.

4. Offline

mattrick

That's not the problem. It allows the event anyway, but when the criteria is met, the message sent is "false".

5. Offline

AoH_Ruthless

mattrick16
    That seems really strange...
    Do you mind posting the config? I'm not even sure what you are trying to do.

6. mattrick16
    Like what 1Rogue said, try a null check to see if the path exists.

7. Offline

mattrick

AoH_Ruthless
    Code:
    can_i_be_op:
      answer: No
    The Gaming Grunts 1Rogue
    Nope it exists.....printed out variables, they were correct. It just sends "false" to the player which makes no sense as I never even added a possibility for that to happen :/

8. mattrick16
    Well, idk if this has anything to do with the problem, but you don't need to have an underscore in the config ("_" <--this thing). You can just put normal spaces. So in your code, you don't have to try to replace anything. You can simply do getConfig().getString("some string") and what-not.

9. Offline

mattrick

Yeah I know, I just think it would look cleaner. I'll try it though.

10. Offline

Gamecube762

Try putting No in quotes. Its looking for a string, and it being in quotes says "Hey! this is a string!". I'm not sure if YML likes the double quotes " or single quotes '.

Code:
    can_i_be_op:
      answer: "No"

1Rogue likes this.
  11. Offline

1Rogue

When .getString() attempts to get a value of "No", it will return false. Looking into the reason now. (Tested externally and confirmed)

Edit: Putting the word in quotes works. This isn't a bukkit issue, yaml considers "no" as a false value.

Either quote is fine.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2016
  12. Offline

AoH_Ruthless

Good to know for future reference.

Double quote and single quotes essentially do the same thing. I don't believe there is a difference.

EDIT: I got ninja'ed :(

13. Offline

mattrick

1Rogue

Thanks! That is odd, Bukkit should throw an error instead.....

14. Offline

Skye

There's way better ways to do what you're trying to do, but...

Without quotes, Bukkit will interpret that field as a boolean and default to returning "false" when getString is called. Surrounding the answer with quotes will solidify it as a String and return "no" like you expect.

15. Offline

mattrick

In Java, "A" != 'A'. Single quotes represent a character.

16. Offline

Gamecube762

Learn something new everyday =P

mattrick16 likes this.
  17. Offline

mattrick

Just a follow up question, I am also trying to replace question mark characters, but using just a "?" throws an error, and using a double backslash question mark ("\\?") also doesn't work. Any ideas? AoH_Ruthless 1Rogue

18. Offline

1Rogue

Not quite, YAML itself returns a b0olean value. This is independant of bukkit

Again, in YAML, single or double quotes make no difference.

Put it in quotes or use a "\" in double quotes. Alternately use the unicode value of the character.

mattrick16 likes this.
  19. Offline

mattrick

Ok thanks :D

20. Offline

Skye

Technically, yes...

However, the object returned by Bukkit's MemorySection.getString does not get casted to String, but instead calls toString() from the object. This is kind of a stretch, as you would expect a method called getString would either return null or log a ClassCastException in the event that a requested field isn't a String. I'm not really sure why it doesn't do this, but it's probably so that plugin makers can conveniently readout configurations to administrators without having to write too many statements.

21. Offline

1Rogue

What?

This makes perfect sense. (Primative) booleans can have two values: true or false. When you cast a boolean to a string it can only be two things, so it returns "false" when you get the string value.

22. Offline

Skye

Yes, it makes sense. It is because of Bukkit's implementation that this thread was created. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.