Need Help with Server

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Bl0oDyAce, May 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Bl0oDyAce

So I have encountered a problem..
    I am running Ubuntu 12.04 and have completely made a server, but my problem is I don't know how to run it. I have the file on my desktop with all the files needed for the server, and I added my ip under multiplayer, but my server always shows up as "Can't Reach Server". I was wondering why this is, I assumed either somethings wrong with the files, which couldn't be true because I have checked them all or It is simply not started. So I ask for help with running my server...

Well I have figured out how to fix all those problems, and i'm running it, but one problem is left, the server says its running, but when I check my IP it still says the server can't be reached..

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2016
  2. Offline

JWhy

create a file called 'start.sh' in the bukkit folder and type in the following:

java -Xms512M -Xmx1G -jar craftbukkit.jar

Then rightclick -> properties on that file and change the file attributes so that it's executable. Now you should be able to double click that file to start the server

3. Offline

Bl0oDyAce

I don't understand what you mean by file, but what I can tell u is I usually run a similar code through terminal. When I do this terminal says that the server is started so I go check under my ip and the server says "Can't Reach Server". So I assumed it wasn't going to the right ip, so then I went into server properties and changed the "server ip= (blank)" to replacing where there is the blank with my ip. Then I ran the code once again through terminal, but this time instead of working.. Terminal said there is already a port...

4. Offline

JWhy

Definitely leave server-ip blank and reboot your machine. Then try to connect to 127.0.0.1

5. Offline

Bl0oDyAce

hm I rebooted and did as you said, that ip is it mine?
    It worked, but one more question are my friends able to join this server if it's actually mine.?

6. Offline

JWhy

127.0.0.1 points always to the same machine, so your friends couldn't join by typing that in... At least we know the server works itself. Now, do you have any firewalls?

7. Offline

Bl0oDyAce

Idk, but I don't think so, and how will I be able to set up a server where i can play with friends and how does the firewall influence this.?

8. Offline

Dead-i

Is this server hosted on your own home network? If so, you will need to configure port forwarding on your router.

This depends on what router you have, so you might want to search online or look in your router's manual for information on how to Port Forward on your particular router. You will need to forward TCP/UDP 25565 to your Ubuntu box.

Alternatively, if you don't want to port forward on your router, another popular method of letting a couple of friends join is configuring LogMeIn Hamachi on your Ubuntu box.

9. Offline

Bl0oDyAce

How do you enable port forwarding.?

10. Offline

Dead-i

It depends on what internet router you have. As I said, you may wish to review the manual that came with your router or search online for how to port forward on your specific router. You need to forward 25565 TCP/UDP.

For example, on my BT router I would have to go to api.home/ in my web browser and set it up in the Settings menu. It may be similar for your router, but as I said, it really depends on what type of router you have :)

11. Offline

Bl0oDyAce

Would you be willing to help me with this? Cause I do not know where the manual is nor do I know how to access it through the computer. I have a speedstream 5200

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.