My server randomly turns off.

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by KrisEike, Feb 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

KrisEike

I'm having a problem with my server, it's quite weird.. At times, it just randomly stops. It's like someone type "stop" in the cmd file.. because it saves all chunks, and everything else. No progress is lost, but still, it turns of, without turning back on.

I installed a plugin to make it restart every 2 hours, but it didn't work, so i deleted it. Now i think a small piece of it is left, and is causing the server to stop, but not restart.. Or is this completly wrong?

Please help me find out what the problem is..

Kris

2. Offline

kexus

I dont think its because of the plugin. I'm not sure, but it sounds like the server is running out of ram.
    In the folder where you have the CraftBukkit.jar, you should also find a file called "server.bat". The contents will look something like this:
    Code:
    java -Xms1024M -Xmx1024M -jar craftbukkit.jar
    pause
    Try changing the -Xms and -Xmx numbers. First try lowering them, if it still has the problem, increase them. But be careful, if its set too high, it can cause problems. If this doesn't work, maybe try redownloading the CraftBukkit.jar from here. If you still have problems, try asking for hold on the thread for the plugin you are talking about. See if anyone else has the same problem. Hope this helps.

3. Offline

KrisEike

Thanks mate, will try that. =)

Kris

4. Offline

captainbinary

I would get this on a regular occurance, using multiple builds craft bukkit without mods and with mods. I believe its something to do with the actual server framework. Hitting some error and not reporting it to the console but going through the process of shutting down anyway.

Do not take my word on this, i am not a java programmer, im a python programmer so some logical thought. thats how i would see this happening.

5. Offline

Linkupdated

its happenning to me too :(
    im hoping to see difference with the updates

6. Offline

TnT

Info?

7. Offline

KrisEike

Not sure how much info i can give you.. It just randomly turns off. No errors or anything. It happens from every hour to every 24 hours.. so i can't tell when it is going to happen. =/

Kris

8. Offline

TnT

Have you tried running it without plugins?

9. Offline

KrisEike

Nope, but how do i move all the plugins away without losing all progress i've made on them?

Kris

10. Offline

TnT

Stop the server. Rename your current plugins directory to plugins.bak. Start server. Test.

You can then start testing one by one and move each plugin into the new plugins directory that will get created.

11. Offline

KrisEike

So, you mean i should test which plugin is causing this? Because that's just impossible to do =/
    I have like, 20 plugins running, and this "bug" only occurs at random times, like every 1-24 hour.. Any other way of finding out why it stops?

Kris

12. Offline

Vittek

Well I'm having the very same issue. It started turning up around the time multiworlds go introduced. Server just closes, no error nothing. Never had that issue before, right no assigned 4gb ram to it on a 12gb ram machine so I doubt it's caused by running out of ram.

13. Offline

Windwaker

Hey uh... I'm having the same issue except I cannot even type any command or else the server just stops as if someone typed "/stop". In addition, it will also stop if I just walk around for a bit...

14. Offline

Nathan C

If you run out of RAM this happens. It was happening to me until I fixed it.

If you have the stats or achievements plugin, that is the issue. They leak ALOT of RAM and screw over the CPU.

Remove them and it will be fixed.

15. Offline

Windwaker

Me personally, I don't have that plugin, I still dont know what the issue is...

Should I just increase

java –Xmx1024M –Xms1024M –jar craftbukkit.jar nogui

to

java –Xmx<moreram>M –Xms<moreram>M –jar craftbukkit.jar nogui?

and if so... how much?

EDIT: On a mac btw :confused:

16. Offline

Nathan C

Wow YES.

You are running out of RAM, and then the server shuts off.

Do like -XmX828M -XmS2048M

XMS always should be higher.

17. Offline

Plague

No, the other way around!

18. Offline

Windwaker

Huh?

so... java -Xms2048M -Xmx828M -jar craftbukkit.jar nogui?

Sorry but I just don't get that... How can the max be more then the min?

19. Offline

Plague

mx means Memory maX, ms means Memory Start

20. Offline

Windwaker

Okay... java -Xms828M -Xmx2048M -jar craftbukkit.jar nogui

Still getting same issue didn't change anything...

Do I need more?

21. Offline

Plague

Well in some combination of bukkit and plugins there are leaks, like when monsters are on I think etc. It is being worked at, but I think we just have to live with it for the time being. You can restart the server when it goes down automatically, I know it's not really a solution though.

22. Offline

Windwaker

Okay I guess I will continue with SimpleServer until the next build...

EDIT: I think I found the problem...

You need Java 1.6 for Craftbukkit and for that you need Snow Leopard for the mac...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.