making bukkit 2 servers

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Mr_gav, Aug 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Mr_gav

I have a dedicated server and I setup a ip failover. (ip2) I have 1 server on (ip1) and I want the second server to use (ip2) but (ip2) takes me to the first server on same as (ip1). How do I seperate this and use a different ip for each server? I want (ip1)to take you to server 1 and (ip2) to take you to server 2

2. Offline

UnityPvP

Mr_gav You would have to host each server on a different port I think.

3. Offline

Mr_gav

There has to be some way of doing this, could I maybe setup a virtual machine? How would I go about that?

4. Offline

thelectronicnub

A virtual machine wouldn't do anything. Like UnityPvP said, you can have 2 servers on one IP if they are on different ports.

5. Offline

Mr_gav

Im not trying to run 2 servers on n1 ip, I have a ip with one server on it and I want to run the other on a failover ip. Is there a way to do that?

6. Offline

thelectronicnub

A failover IP is not useable unless your server fails. When it fails, everything will be transferred to another server with a different IP.

7. Offline

obscurehero

Mr_gav - You're not using an IP failover in the way you think you are (or want to). See here

Anyway, you need to purchase a new IPv4 OR you can host both servers on the same IP address and use different ports. Set up two different DNS addresses and configure them with SRV records.

For example:

a.thisserver.com points to 55.55.55.55:25566
    b.thisserver.com points to 55.55.55.55:25567

Or you can use Bungeecord or Lilypad to set up a 'hub' server. That is, your IP address will point to a server instance that will then relay your players to either server A or B based on what portal they walk through.

8. Offline

caelum19

IP addresses point to the computer, ports point to which part of the computer, you can however have more then one domain name pointing to the same computer, and then a diffrent port.
    but as thelectronicnub said if the computer(not bukkit) crashes then neither server will work, so it'd be best to have 2 separate computers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.