Is this allowed.....

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by VoidWhisperer, Sep 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

VoidWhisperer

Basically, I want to make some of my plugins so that they download a lib file, such as vault, automatically as a plugin onto the server to make it so that the server owner doesn't have to go and download it. Assuming I put a notice in the plugin that it would be doing so, and the downloaded jars come from bukkitdev, would this be allowed?

I just figured it would be worth asking this before going through all of the trouble to make the downloader then having it turned away.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2016
  2. Offline

kyle1320

VoidWhisperer
    I don't really know, but just as an outside opinion, I would assume that if the file could not be malicious and only affects your plugin (i.e. if your plugin was removed everything would go back to normal) that it would be alright.

3. Offline

VoidWhisperer

That's what my thought process is.

I wish i could get a response from someone on the bukkitdev staff as to whether or not this is allowed so that I can get on with making it or not. lol

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

4. Offline

Courier

You could try tagging somebody who is online.

5. Offline

tommycake50

If on the console you make a prompt appear or get who is an op and ask if they wanted it to be installed then that is fine also make sure you perform a check to make sure vault isn't already installed hope that helped.

6. Offline

VoidWhisperer

7. Offline

gjossep

I think its ok. As long as the admin or op arrges with downloading it.
    I have made a plugin that downloads other plugins from bukkitdev. And that got approved.

8. Offline

Milkywayz

You could try it like how logblock did it a few versions ago:
    Code:
    if ((localPluginManager.getPlugin("WorldEdit") == null) && (!new File("lib/WorldEdit.jar").exists()) && (!new File("WorldEdit.jar").exists()))
          try {
            Utils.download(getLogger(), new URL("http://diddiz.insane-architects.net/download/WorldEdit.jar"), new File("lib/WorldEdit.jar"));
            getLogger().info("[LogBlock] You've to restart/reload your server now.");
            localPluginManager.disablePlugin(this);
            return;
          } catch (Exception localException) {
            getLogger().warning("[LogBlock] Failed to download WorldEdit. You may have to download it manually. You don't have to install it, just place the jar in the lib folder.");
          }
    Logblock no longer uses this code though. I don't see an issue with doing so since LogBlock has done it for a little bit and logblock is approved on bukkitdev :p

EDIT: You may want to download vault to the plugin directory because... I believe vault needs to be installed for the api methods to work...

9. Offline

Sleaker

Not only does Bukkit actively discourage this, but as the creator of Vault I'd ask that you don't ever do this (for Vault). In addition. BukkitDev does not allow projects submitted to contain downloaders which access unauthorized locations (anything outside of bukkitdev).

Milkywayz - I'm surprised as a BukkitDev staffer you're encouraging the usage of outside downloaders, which are clearly not okay in the submission guidelines.

For reference: http://wiki.bukkit.org/BukkitDev:Pr...ines#Auto-updaters_and_opening_URLConnections.

10. Offline

Craftiii4

Maybe, but the link you posted also has this in big bold writing making that point kinda invalid and allowing him to approve it if he thinks it is ok, they could also use a bukkit link if they wish anyways.

Milky was just being helpful and providing the code that would be needed to do the action the creator of this topic was trying to do.

"Please keep in mind these are guidelines. The BukkitDev Staff have the final decision in approving or rejecting your project."

11. Offline

Milkywayz

He stated he would be downloading from bukkitdev, I only used the logblock downloader code as an example since I didn't have another example in mind. I did mention that logblock doesn't use this anymore... Sorry that it came off as me encouraging the use, I was just trying to help the poster with his question. He would be better off just disabling the plugin if the dependency isnt installed.[/quote]

12. Offline

VoidWhisperer

If you would like me to remove the downloader, I will do so. Sorry. I was trying to make it more convient for users. It was getting it from your latest bukkitdev upload.

Removed it. Sorry about any inconvience it caused.

13. Offline

keelar

VoxelUpdate does this. I don't see the problem if the download link can be changed in the configuration. That way anyone who uses the plugin can see where they're downloading it from. That way it can be controlled by the user of the plugin.

14. Offline

JazzaG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.