Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by JustNoHacks, Oct 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

JustNoHacks

I'm planning on starting my own network of server, but I have a few concerns that I don't know the answer to.
    I really don't know if it's worth spending all the money on hub servers, mini-game servers, faction servers and only having a few players on it. If you check out other server that advertised, have beautiful builds, fun community... you see that they don't have alot of players online yet it's been up for over a month. The key question I want to ask: Is it worth it making spending money on servers, spend money on developers to develop you a plugin, hiring a build team?

2. Online

timtower Administrator Administrator Moderator

@JustNoHacks Do you need all the custom plugins and a build team?
    Why not use existing plugins or the plugin requests section?
    A build team is only needed if you are gonna protect a chunk of the world, do you want to do that?

3. Offline

JustNoHacks

On my test server, I have all the plugins setup. But I don't think that my server is going to succeed not matter how much hours I put into it.

4. Online

Depends on what you call successful to be honest. Some have a server just for friends, nothing complicated on it.
    Others require large teams to run.
    Where do you want your server to be between those?

5. Offline

JustNoHacks

I'm planning on making a network like the other big servers with fun mini-games.
    If I make a server, spend tones of time on it and hardly get any players. That would be quiet disappointing... That's why I'm quiet unsure If I should make my network of servers.

6. Online

To save you some money on servers: start small, expand based on the amount of players and what they want.

7. Offline

JustNoHacks

That's a good idea but lets say it'll be factions only. Not many people enjoy factions and there are about 500 faction servers out there, same goes for prison... How can I start a community when people don't enjoy the primary gamemode.

8. Online

You need a playerbase first, small one, then ask them what the primary gamemode should be.
    Don't put your attention on the big gamemodes right away. Make a small survival plugin with a little shop at spawn, get some people on it, then continue.

9. Offline

JustNoHacks

Thanks for your time ;)

timtower likes this.
  10. Offline

mcdorli

@timtower @JustNoHacks Okay, there is a server in my country (both of them are really small), there is about 3 players online everytime, 7 players active, and the owner thinks, that it is enough. The server had 50 players online everytime with 200+ players active, but still, that 5 player is enough to keep up the server, they donate more money, than that 200 did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.