Is it true?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by BMX_ATVMAN14, Dec 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Well I mean it did happen for 1.4.6 So I am just worried

2. Offline

Jogy34

The link you provided explaining why the safeguard was put in says, "As Mojang continue to work towards the Minecraft Plugin API (cleaning up and rewriting the code), the code within Minecraft and CraftBukkit will undoubtedly shift." and also this, "With the extensive work being done to Minecraft to accommodate the Minecraft Plugin API, the Minecraft code is now more unpredictable and volatile than ever before. These changes have made it clear that allowing plugins to run unchecked across Minecraft updates is a big mistake that puts your servers at significant risk of being silently damaged. " so I was just wondering if you (the bukkit team) had planned to take out the safe guard after all of the massive code re-writes were done which would be around the time the plugin API is fully released presumably.

3. Offline

TnT

There is no plan at this time to remove the safeguard, as there is no end in sight for those changes.

4. Offline

Ne0nx3r0

The bottom line is that when doing any Bukkit update you should make a test copy and ensure your plugins are up to date and compatible before updating.

For server admins the vast majority of the time it's just a matter of going to download an updated version of your "broken" plugin. Most decent plugins will likely have a working build out well before Bukkit has promoted even a beta/recommended build.

Most of the hype is developers being aggravated at the added complexity of dealing with what is perceived as a poor method of forced versioning, and really that's not something server admins should be concerned with, except to know how to recognize the errors and update/prod developers accordingly.

BMX_ATVMAN14 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.