Is it true?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by BMX_ATVMAN14, Dec 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

BMX_ATVMAN14

So I heard from a friend that the new build with 1.4.7 coming out soon will break most plugins, is that true?

2. Offline

theguynextdoor

I think this will be a case with the packaging names, the same thing which 'broke' most plugins in 1.4.6. Sorry if i am wrong, but i should not be able to function at this hour of the morning

3. Offline

Phinary

It wont break any plugins that just use the Bukkit API. If the plugin is using net.minecraft.server or org.bukkit.craftbukkit, then it will break. This is due to Bukkit's new packaging system. Anyways, it shouldn't matter a whole lot because 1.4.7 clients are comparable with 1.4.6 servers, so if you just leave your server on 1.4.6 you shouldn't have any issues.

BMX_ATVMAN14 likes this.
  4. Offline

Hoolean

WorldGuard, WorldEdit and anything else using more complicated methods will break. Basicly, all the ones that broke with 1.4.6 :p

This is just Bukkit's safeguarding feature to prevent plugins causing damage. Instead, they safely disable :)

5. Offline

BMX_ATVMAN14

Will this be true for every update?

6. Offline

Hoolean

Yep :(! Bukkit changed something in 1.4.6. According to them it will fix more damage than it will create though :)

7. Offline

Phinary

Yes, although once developers get more familiar with the new system, there are ways to prevent it from completely breaking.

MrBluebear3 and BMX_ATVMAN14 like this.
  8. Offline

TheBeast808

I thought the views towards trying to fix it were "Use Bukkit API or GTFO." I remember reading that plugins that try to dynamically change the package names they use will be removed from BukkitDev.

9. Offline

Phinary

Yeah well, not much we can do. Bukkit isn't very "open" about many things...

10. Offline

mbaxter ʇıʞʞnq ɐ sɐɥ ı

Please read this topic, it's clear you haven't. Can't claim we're not open if you ignore communication! ;)

sillyrosster and BMX_ATVMAN14 like this.
  11. Offline

Phinary

Oh I have. I wasn't just referring to just the 1.4.6 change...

12. Offline

owenftw

maybee

13. Offline

Jogy34

That topic doesn't say anything about this and I've been meaning to ask. When the Minecraft Plugin API is up and running will the package name changing of CraftBukkit on every Minecraft update be taken away and also are you and all of the bukkit staff against us plugin developers using the CraftBukkit and Minecraft code or do you not really care but are just adding an extra protection for servers? I couldn't find any threads on either of those things.

14. Offline

Necrodoom

the main point of this is server protection, against outdated rouge plugins that cause unrecoverable changes such as the infamous bug of entire world being wiped from stone.

15. Offline

Lolmewn

But that's pretty cool right?

16. Offline

Necrodoom

not when you need to start over a world you worked hours on, which pretty much was the main whine over the forums.

17. Offline

Jogy34

I was asking if they don't want plugin developers to use CraftBukkit or if they don't really care. I understand that it is for server protection but I still want to know weather or not they care if we use CraftBukkit or Minecraft code versus the Bukkit API in our plugins.

18. Offline

chaseoes

They generally don't, but the safeguard is in place to protect server owners, because those Bukkit team members who work at Mojang know that the internals will be changing drastically in preparation for the Mod API. Methods will be renamed, moved, etc.

If all the sudden something.a(), which previously saved the world's chunks to disk, changes to a method that deletes the entire world and all traces of it - the server owner using an outdated plugin which called something.a() won't be too happy.

They don't really mind if you use it (if they did, plugins using NMS etc. would be banned from BukkitDev, I assume) as long as you know how and update your plugin accordingly for new Minecraft versions.

The safeguard isn't aimed at plugin developers because they don't want NMS/CraftBukkit being used in plugins, it's aimed at server owners keeping up-to-date on their NMS/CraftBukkit using plugins.

tldr; yes, most of your plugins will break. It depends on your plugins of course, but I generally find about a quarter to half of all your plugins will. This shouldn't be a big deal however because you should be regularly updating your plugins anyways - especially after a update.

19. Offline

Jogy34

Again, I know all that. I was asking if they preferred that we only stick to the Bukkit API or if they don't really care if we use CraftBukkit and Minecraft code.

20. Offline

chaseoes

Well I kinda answered that (last two paragraphs?).. unless you're looking for an answer from one of them.

21. Offline

np98765

They want us to use NMS responsibly -- That is, checking that your plugin won't blow up someone's server.

-_Husky_- likes this.
  22. Offline

Sushi

To be honest, I've seen more threads with issues related to package renaming and plugins breaking than threads that would benefit from the package renaming change.

23. Offline

mbaxter ʇıʞʞnq ɐ sɐɥ ı

Most of those threads were prevented by the package rename.

24. Offline

Sushi

It doesn't matter, because new threads were created that rooted from issues related to the package renaming.

25. Offline

mbaxter ʇıʞʞnq ɐ sɐɥ ı

And these threads were "Help my plugin is throwing an error" which means we can instantly point to the source of the problem. The prevented threads include some that are "Help X has broke/changed/erased/disappeared/corrupted" which do not point to any source and instead potentially irreversibly (without weeks old backups) damages a map.

falkensmaze likes this.
  26. Offline

lol768

And then I'm guessing a lot of time was wasted because there was no way of knowing whether it was the fault of CraftBukkit or a plugin?

27. Offline

mbaxter ʇıʞʞnq ɐ sɐɥ ı

Yussir

28. Offline

Jogy34

When the Minecraft Plugin API is up and running will the package name changing of CraftBukkit on every Minecraft update be taken away?

29. Well I know Entity Plugins and Block Plugins will be must likely broken :'(

30. Offline

mbaxter ʇıʞʞnq ɐ sɐɥ ı

There isn't even a release date for the API yet and you want to know a third party's decision regarding it?

Most plugin devs updated quick for the past update, I bet they'll do it again for 1.5 :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.