i dont think our internet lets us make servers...

Discussion in 'General Help' started by H20Dynamix, Jul 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

H20Dynamix

---------------------------------------------------------= Extra info =----------------------------------------------------------
    For over maybe even a year now, I haven't been able to make a server on MY internet that allows others to join it. Now I know that this deals with port forwarding, but I've port forwarded soooo many times and it still didn't work. Making a server works just fine, in fact, I can join it using my ipv4 address, but no matter what I've tried, I can't get others to join. I've port forwarded so many times now that I can't stand trying anymore. But I have come to realize that I don't want to use free hosts that give you limited plugins. I want to have an awesome server that I can have whatever I want on it.
    IMPORTANT NOTE: I've even let my friend, that lives in Canada and USED to run a server on his computer for quite a while, get on my computer through TeamViewer and try copy whatever files he had on his server and put them on my computer AND port forward, but it didn't even work for HIM ;(
    IMPORTANT NOTE #2: For some reason, ever since we let some people change our house floor, our internet has had a big problem where every time someone calls us, we call someone, someone calls us and we DONT pick up the phone, or when we call someone and they pick up the phone, our internet literally goes out for about 3-5 min. then it comes back.
    --------------------------------------------------------= MAIN Details =------------------------------------------------------
    Internet Provider: Windstream
    Router type: Netgear
    Two computer available to run server on: Macbook air, Windows 10 slow computer

MODERATOR EDIT: Do not post personal information (Skype, etc)

2. Offline

Tecno_Wizard

@H20Dynamix, port forwarding is handled by your router, so let's start there. Attempt to port forward your router again, which I'm sure is painful by now, and see if the port you opened is actually open using canyouseeme.org. It will tell you whether or not the port forwarding has actually worked. If it didn't, your router is either faulty or you aren't forwarding correctly. If it DOES say it is open, then you are likely setting up the port forwarding to the wrong local gateway. Double check that the gateway you forwarded to is actually the computer you want to host the server on and that it is using the correct port (default 25565). I would recommend running the server on a different computer than the one you are playing MC on since both of your computers are weak.

Now your internet dropping issue. Not many people know this, but your internet connection and phone line actually share the same wires. Remember (or at least know of) dialup? For the most part, they are still hosted on the same lines. This can cause serious issues when you are on a phone call. It's likely that either your phone company knows this is an issue and doesn't care or your modem is malfunctioning. You can discuss that with your provider.

3. Offline

H20Dynamix

ok thnx man! as much as that was kinda confusing, ill try :D but i might need a little help. It would be nice if you could help me

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2016
  4. Offline

Tecno_Wizard

@H20Dynamix, you're probably confused by default gateway. Remember when you found the IP address of the server computer for the port forwarding? That's your gateway. The port number is essentially what "radio frequency" your server is communicating from, like tuning a radio. By default it is 25565. It is formatted like this:
    "ComputerGateway:port" or, a usual case,
    "10.0.1.5:25565"

None of this is simple. That's why everyone doesn't have a minecraft server. It requires some computer skills, and running the server once you have it set up isn't exactly step-by-step either.

5. Offline

H20Dynamix

i mean ive done that so many times before but it still hasnt work :/ i honestly dont know.

6. Offline

Tecno_Wizard

@H20Dynamix, well, try the canyouseeme.org site and see if the port forwarding is working from the outside.

7. Offline

H20Dynamix

will do :D

ok well I had deleted the server a while ago, and now I'm trying to find files to get it back up, but I cant xD I'm so stupid.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2016
  8. Offline

H20Dynamix

ok so I got a server running on the windows PC, and if I type the PC's ipv4 address, I can connect to the server. now I found a tutorial on the internet on using Utorrent to port forward, but that didn't work either :/ I even checked canyouseeme.org, but even that said that it couldn't see anything on the port 25565.

9. @H20Dynamix Can you please send a picture of your portforwarding and cmd with your ipconfig.

10. Offline

H20Dynamix

sure man
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    all of those are what u asked for and an additional server.properties file ;) thnx so much man

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  11. @H20Dynamix That looks fine, you may need to contact your ISP asking trhem if they allow activity coming in and out of that port and if not, ask them to unblock it.

12. Offline

H20Dynamix

ok ill try to ask my parents to contact them, thnx a lot man :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.