I can't connect but my friend can

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by daonlydagger, Jul 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

daonlydagger

So I made a small Minecraft server for me and one of my friends with just a few plugins. Now we got everything set up, the ip, portforwarding, all the plugins, and then started the server. My friend was the first to login, and it worked for him. Great I thought, until I tried to also log in, and could not. This wouldn't seem weird to me, except for the fact that it is being hosted on MY machine, and not his. Any help?

2. Offline

cschilhamcoco

What is the IP you're trying to connect to on your own PC and what does is say when you try to connect?

3. Offline

daonlydagger

I looked up my ip online, and originally used that one, but even when I use localhost, it won't work on my computer, but my friend is using the ip that I got online, and he can log in using that up I looked up online. He is also not on the same router as me.

4. Offline

cschilhamcoco

Make sure to put the server port is behind the ip, but what does it say when you try to connect?

5. Offline

Unknown025

Using localhost (connecting through 127.0.0.1) will only work if your server is on the same network as your client. You can also try getting your server's IP address (not your router's), and connect to it that way. Don't forget to add your listening port (default 25565). All together, it should look like this:

[78.125.0.209] -- Your server's local IP (you can get this by running ipconfig through Windows' CMD, or ifconfig on Terminal in Mac or Linux) :[25565] -- Your port that you port-forwarded.

78.125.0.209:25565

6. Offline

daonlydagger

Thank you so much for everyone's help. I was not using the same computer as what the server is being hosted on. For some reason I was not thinking when I was trying the Local Host. But for some reason I thought that it would work. Then I tried using the computer's IP that the server was running on. That was the IP that my friend was using and he was able to connect to the server, but I was not able to connect to the server using that IP. The computer that is hosting the server may not be the same one that I am using to connect to it, but it is on the same network, so I decided to just try the IPv4 just for SAG and it ended up working.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.