HyperThreading Question

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by Mrchasez, Sep 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Mrchasez

I have a Xeon 1270 machine with 180GB SSD.

We are running into performance issues and our CPU is bottlenecking. It isn't really because the most we ever use is 25%.. However We have it hyperthreaded into 8 parts.

So we can run 50 online perfect, but 60+ and our TPS and performance just goes way way down (5TPS even).

Our CPU is at 25% and hardly ever goes above that (we have 2 servers running).

This machine will never be used for anything but minecraft, and a Voice server. That is it.

So would it be better for us to turn HT off?
    It seems it would, but i am not sure.

Thanks

2. Offline

TnT

Try it and find out. It shouldn't make a difference, but I have heard rumors that it may.

3. Offline

Mrchasez

Yeah but 8 cores, Means that our server can only run on 12.5% instead of 25% of the CPU?

4. Offline

TnT

... no. That's not how HyperThreading works.

If you have 4 cores on a single CPU, you have 4 CPU cores. HyperThreading, in theory, gives you another 4. You don't divide up your CPU power, you're multiplying it.

However, a CPU core is a physical separation of a physical CPU (4 cores on a single die, for example). HyperThreading is a logical separation of a CPU core. See here to learn more.

jtjj222 likes this.
  5. Offline

Mrchasez

Yes but we are only able to use 12.5% of our CPU right now because of..... Nevermind..

6. Offline

TnT

Minecraft is multi-threaded to a degree, if that's what you were going to say.

7. Offline

Clinton

Leave hyperthreading on. The issue is with the way the server is setup.

8. Offline

Mrchasez

Like what? We have literally tried everything.
    We didn't get these issues until 1.3

9. Offline

Milkywayz

Your choice of plugins will likely be the culprit...

10. Offline

Mrchasez

I have tried everything. The issue is that our CPU is bottlenecking.
    We run 38 normal plugins , all are updated, none are very intensive. Our most intensive plugin is AuthMe (NoLagg Examine)

We run a Xeon 1270, and 80% of the CPU is never used because of no dual threading.

11. Offline

Clinton

What's your startup command line?

12. Offline

Mrchasez

-Xmx8192M -jar craftbukkit-1.3.2-R1.jar nogui -nojline

13. Offline

Milkywayz

My server runs 24 plugins, i find any more then 30 to be a pretty bloated server even on good hardware...
    Im going to be running on a i7 pretty soon, I felt that xeons were better for like actual servers not game servers since 2 threads do most of the work, and other features just sit and do nothing. I wouldn't be surprised to see more core stuff in minecraft be pushing into other threads, that would be a big improvement for the large servers and a good improvement on regular server setups.

14. Offline

Mrchasez

We are at around 9TPS with around 95 Online.
    For the first two hours of gameplay the server runs fine at around 65/75 online.
    Then it just goes down very rapidly

15. Offline

Milkywayz

Personally I consider anything under 20 TPS to be laggy, and I do anything in my power to fix it. In your case Im not quite sure what the problem could be...

sillyrosster likes this.
  16. Offline

Mrchasez

Full Startup: http://pastie.org/4811420
    Plugins:
    (Older image taken for something else its why there are white spots, all plugins are the same)
    [​IMG]

17. Offline

Milkywayz

To me that seems like a ton of clutter. But unless you would like me to tell what plugins I consider to be junk, i won't. It's really only my opinion, but it could help you solve your issue.

18. Offline

Mrchasez

Please go ahead.
    Everything there is really used constantly. Oh we have removed EssentialsAntiBuild because its useless.
    Pretty much everything else is good.

19. Offline

Milkywayz

PerformanceMonitor: I doubt it does anything more special then /lag in essentials
    PluginManager: A restart beats a reload, even if its a just a plugin reload
    CFBanner: NocheatPlus has the exact feature but even better
    CoreProtect: I honestly believe this is a terrible plugin, but thats just my very own personal opinion as a server owner, i'd use logblock over core protect any day. It's stable and proven, it's what I like.
    Economy plugins are generally heavyweight which is why I default to the built in Essentials Economy.

Note that the above contains strictly opinions, it does not reflect the opinion of bukkit, the bukkit staff, or the forums in any way, just my own personal opinion as a server owner.

np98765 likes this.
  20. Offline

sillyrosster

Explain? CoreProtect is an amazing plugin and so is LogBlock. What on earth could you have against CoreProtect?

OP, it really comes down to plugins because your server looks very powerful and capable, meaning that plugins are more likely or not the culprit. You could also have corrupt chunks, which your users are loading as more come on, but that's just what I notice that lags my server occasionally.

21. Offline

Mrchasez

PluginManager is so lightweight and gives enough additional features to be worth it.
    CFBanner is also quite minor, and it helps NoCheatPlus because it makes it so no checks even have to start, since they are blocked before anything even happens.

CoreProtect i prefer to anything, especially logblock. It can rollback worldedit, roll backs cause no lag what so ever, and the commands are nice and easy.

BOSEconomy simply gives the features we need ;/

Almost every plugin we use has a use

22. Offline

Milkywayz

Mainly I wasn't used to it, which you really can't blame the plugin.
    It's basically a plugin that I have a unexplained hatred for... ...

Well, you came to the forums asking for help. If your not willing to try anything anyone says then you won't find your solution. I was throwing some ideas out there...

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2016
  23. Offline

sillyrosster

I switched to it from LogBlock when LogBlock was in it's dying stage and then it was revived, again. Anyways, it's an amazing plugin and is fast, logs everything you can possibly imagine. It helps with WorldEdit griefs, which rarely happen, but when they do it's really nice to have.

24. Offline

Mrchasez

I am gladly open to suggestions.
    I was simply explaining why those are feasible to keep.

What do you think of RoyalCommands over Essentials?
    How CPU intensive is Essentials, i disabled it for a few mins and didn't really see any improvements.

25. Offline

sillyrosster

I use rCmds over Essentials because I have a hatred for Essentials, but it's all really opinion.

26. Offline

Mrchasez

Is RoyalCommands = rCmds?

27. Offline

Clinton

Running: screen java -Xmx25000m -jar craftbukkit.jar With an I7-3770K, 32GB of RAM, and 240GB SSD results in 300 players with about 18-20 tps for me last time I checked.

28. Offline

Milkywayz

Really? Im going to get a i7-3770 (not over clocked) with 32gb of ram and a 120gb SSD. Also I'm going to be upgrading my internet soon.

29. Offline

sillyrosster

Yes. If you download it, you will get rCmds.jar, which is RoyalCommands :p

30. Offline

Mrchasez

Xeon 1270, 16GB Ram, 200GB SSD. TPS at 91 online = 13

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.