how to restore your world to a previous point

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by xXxAwesomeCrafterxXx, Jul 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theres a staff i had, but one day they lost their sanity (i know who did it from server logs) and worldedited all the stuff that i worked 6 months on and deleted it :'( is there a way to undo his actions? (i had to remove CoreProtect due to errors :()

2. Offline

Bobcat00

You should make regular backups. If you don't have backups or some sort of logging plugin, no, you can't get it back.

3. Offline

LHammonds

Well, you could have rolled back everything that this one user did if you had CoreProtect working (which would have been perfect). You also could have restored the if you made multiple external backups on a normal basis. If you have a virtual server and make snapshots on a regular basis you could restore the entire server.

If you have even just one backup file somewhere of what he deleted even if its a few weeks old, you could spin up an offline server, use WorldEdit to create a schematic and then copy the schematic to the main server and paste the schematic.

If you don't have a single backup of your server in all the months its been online, well, I hope you've learned your lesson is all I can say.

4. Offline

Bobcat00

Even easier is to use a WorldEdit snapshot. The fix can be done in-game. Select the area and restore it from backup with a single command.

But, of course, you need the backup!

5. Offline

LHammonds

But that could complicate a normal backup process though since the archives MUST be in .zip format, named according to WorldEdit's filename requirements and must reside within the server folder system (where craftbukkit.jar is or somewhere under it) which means if you backup the server folder, your backup could include other backups unless you exclude the folder containing the other backups.

Basically, you need to make sure your backups are not recursing themselves, must be in ZIP format (not .tar nor .7z) and the filenames must be in the correct format for WorldEdit to recognize them.

If the only thing you have is WorldEdit, then ya, that could be a viable use for in-game restores but you might be better off using a log block plugin like CoreProtect since they can rollback any kind of grief regardless and it doesn't require a complicated system to make it work. As Steve Jobs used to say..."it just works."

LHammonds

6. Offline

Bobcat00

WorldEdit snapshots also work with plain-old .mca region files. They don't have to be zipped. From time to time, I'll take the region folder and put a copy under WorldEdit's snapshot folder, so I have it handy for restores.

This is in addition to using Prism. Belt and suspenders, if you will. Also, I could go to a backup from December and put that in the snapshot folder and use it (I did that last week). But I have Prism configured to only retain data for 2 months.

I was just pointing out that WorldEdit's snapshots are easier to use in a situation like this instead of using MCEdit. Don't need to shut down the server, simply select the region in-game and issue one command.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.