How to restore Nether?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Malvisk, Dec 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Malvisk

I just installed Bukkit on my server, and when I started it, it mentioned that it was moving my nether to another server, and to restore it I only need to copy the files.

Unfortunately I failed to copy the instructions before shutting down the server. Now I don't recall what I need to do to restore my nether for my world.

2. Offline

TnT

It doesn't matter what the world type is, you have to have the names matching.

So, if you do not use a multiworld plugin (such as MultiVerse), your worlds will be named world and world_nether (assuming you didn't change the name of your world in the server.properties file).

To restore your nether, just copy the world_nether into your CraftBukkit folder when the server is shut down. When you start it back up, it should load the world_nether you just moved.

Malvisk likes this.
  3. Offline

Malvisk

I may have done something wrong then, cause I ran CraftBukkit from within the same root folder that I was running my vanilla Minecraft server.

I only have one world_nether folder. If both vanilla minecraft and bukkit utilize the world_nether, than the execution of Bukkit resulted in my _nether folder being recreated. I've lost my original _nether data then?

4. Offline

zipron

if a world folder exists with the correct name (such as world_nether) it doesn't matter what server you use, bukkit or vanilla, they won't overwrite that folder they will just use it. If you're world crashed because of a bad server shutdown you can try to fix it with mcedit exporting the needed chunks into a new map. Or you'll have to put a backup on, that's the only thing you can do.

zip

5. Offline

Malvisk

No the installation of Bukkit specifically stated that it did something to my _nether folder data. My server didn't crash or anything, but now when I go back to the Nether all that I had built is gone. I distinctly remembering some instructions Bukkit install gave about restoring my nether, but I just can't recall what it said exactly.

Looking at my folders, i do have a world_the_end (16 MB of data) and world_skylands (2.5 MB). I've not travelled to either of these worlds. Should they be that big by default?

6. Offline

zipron

world_the_end is generated by default unless you change the config in bukkit.yml.
    normally (if not using multiverse or another multiworld plugin) you have these three worlds:
    - world
    - world_nether
    - world_the_end

if you change your world name into the server.properties file, the server will search for the folder with that name, or create them if they don't exist:
    - <world_name>
    - <world_name>_nether
    - <world_name>_the_end

remember: the usage of of the vanilla/bukkit server of the nether world is the same. They will both load the folder <world_name>_nether or create it if it doesn't exist, but they won't delete the folder of the other server and replace it by there own.

In singleplayer, your nether and end world are stored in the DIM-1 and DIM-2 folders. so this is different then multiplayer!! I don't know what exactly went wrong, and you're explanation is a bit strange, but that's maybe because I'm not English so I don't understand correctly. So what I understood:
    - you started your server
    - it said it wanted to "move" your nether folder and you had to copy your stuff
    - you didn't do that, so you server created a new nether world.

now I don't think it's possible your server will move your nether folder. So probably something else happened. it would help if you copy-pasted the server.log file in this thread, so we can read it ourself. Worst case scenario: you deleted your nether folder by accident or without knowing it and the server created a new one. That means that (if you don't have a backup) your nether world is gone.

Zip

7. Offline

Malvisk

Steps:
    1. I was running vanilla Minecraft, with a single mod within the Minecraft_server.jar file called Hot Air Balloons. It is a SMP server on my network.
    2. Downloaded the CreeperHeal.jar into my plugins folder
    3. Downloaded new Craftbukkit, copied the jar and bat file into my Minecraft server.
    4. Shutdown the vanilla java session running
    5. Executed Craftbukkit's bat file.
    From what I recall in the Batch file's dos screen
    It stated it was starting my world "Daniel's World"
    It did some world building
    Mentioned something about 1.6 Minecraft, and that it was doing something due to how minecraft handles something. (shrugs)
    It stated something about steps to restore my nether world. It was late and I was tired.

I found that the Hot Air Balloon's mod was causing the client to crash if I tried to drop a hot air balloon onto the ground.

I restarted the Vanilla Server, it started as normal.

I then recalled that I didn't copy down the instructions about the nether, and wondered if I lost all that I had built in the Nether. I created a portal, and went to check and found that the nether was reset.

8. Offline

zipron

Hmm.. I'm afraid I don't have an answer but one: you should take backups of your server, there are even plugins for that. And if you say your nether world is gone, and you don't have any backups, I don't think you can get it back =S

zip

9. Offline

Malvisk

I concur =(

10. Offline

Malvisk

I ended up copying my _the_end folder into my _nether folder. I checked after a restart and everything was still missing, I was checking from a second portal. I gave up, then yesterday I went through my original portal and everything was back! =)

11. Offline

TnT

There was no actual problem, you were just going through the wrong portal?

12. Offline

Malvisk

No, there was a problem.

When I installed Bukkit this second time around, I only had a single portal. It was at my main base.

I went on a really long balloon ride, found five villages. While doing work at the 1st and 5th villages, I got tired of Creepers blowing my stuff up. I wanted CreeperHeal. So I installed Bukkit. At some point I recalled the 1:8 travel ratio. Thought it would be cool to open a portal at the 5th village and make a tunnel from my 2nd nether portal to my first, within the Nether. When I ported over to the Nether from my 2nd portal, I went into creative mode flew all the way back to the coords of my first gate and.... it wasn't there nor was the base that I had built.

13. Offline

ixcthu

Here's the message you were looking for:

19:16:17 [INFO] This server is running CraftBukkit version git-Bukkit-1.2.5-R4.0-b2222jnks (MC: 1.2.5) (Implementing API version 1.2.5-R4.0)
    19:16:17 [INFO] Preparing level "world2"
    19:16:17 [INFO] Default game type: 0
    19:16:17 [INFO] ---- Migration of old nether folder required ----
    19:16:17 [INFO] Unfortunately due to the way that Minecraft implemented multiworld support in 1.6, Bukkit requires that you move your nether folder to a new location in order to operate correctly.
    19:16:17 [INFO] We will move this folder for you, but it will mean that you need to move it back should you wish to stop using Bukkit in the future.
    19:16:17 [INFO] Attempting to move world2/DIM-1 to world2_nether/DIM-1...
    19:16:17 [INFO] Success! To restore nether in the future, simply move world2_nether/DIM-1 to world2/DIM-1
    19:16:17 [INFO] ---- Migration of old nether folder complete ----
    19:16:17 [INFO] ---- Migration of old the_end folder required ----
    19:16:17 [INFO] Unfortunately due to the way that Minecraft implemented multiworld support in 1.6, Bukkit requires that you move your the_end folder to a new location in order to operate correctly.
    19:16:17 [INFO] We will move this folder for you, but it will mean that you need to move it back should you wish to stop using Bukkit in the future.
    19:16:17 [INFO] Attempting to move world2/DIM1 to world2_the_end/DIM1...
    19:16:17 [INFO] Success! To restore the_end in the future, simply move world2_the_end/DIM1 to world2/DIM1
    19:16:17 [INFO] ---- Migration of old the_end folder complete ----

14. Offline

lucifer6642

Sorry to resurrect this thread.

Isn't there a way to disable the folder migration completely? I have no interest in multi-world support and the folder moving is causing a headache for my server wrapper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.