How to remotely disable plugin?

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by pie_flavor, Feb 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

pie_flavor

I would like to know if it is possible for a plugin to check an online text file (or pastebin), and if it has a certain word in it, disable itself. And if so, I would like to know how to do it.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  2. Offline

teej107

Just open up a URL connection and get the information.

3. Offline

pie_flavor

4. Offline

Zombie_Striker

@pie_flavor
    • Get the URL of the site where the text is located
    • open the conenction.
    • Read the all the page info
    • If the text contains the word(s) you're looking for
    • Disable the plugin
    BTW: If you're doing this as a "Unless you pay me, the plugin will not work" sort of feature, Just note it is really easy to disable this feature. It requires only a small amount of knowledge about Java to edit the plugin so that is bypasses the check.

5. Offline

pie_flavor

And how is this done?
    I have no idea how any of this works. My only Java experience is plugins and a god-awful Asteroids.

6. Offline

Zombie_Striker

@pie_flavor
    If you don't have knowledge about dealing with webpages you should not be making a plugin until you fully understand it. We will not spoonfeed you the code and you will most likely get lost if you try to attempt this without any knowledge about how to go about doing this.

I would recommend you google about how to read URLs. This will give you a better understanding of how it is done.

7. Offline

The_BloodHound

I think the reason he is here is because he's trying to understand it. I believe he came here in the hopes that someone will explain it to him and help him :)

8. Offline

teej107

9. Offline

Zombie_Striker

We would be happy to help him if this was a Bukkit problem. This has to deal with opening and managing webpages, which goes beyond Bukkit. IMHO threads like these should not be posted here and should be moved to a "General Development" forum.

teej107 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.