How to include Bukkit JavaDoc into my project?

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by Etsijä, Apr 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Etsijä

I've been on and off making plugins for Bukkit for two years now. Earlier on, as per the Bukkit plugin tutorial instructions, I just set up http://jd.bukkit.org/rb/apidocs/ as my Eclipse project's JavaDoc location and everything worked: the Bukkit JavaDoc contents could be viewed in Eclipse.

Nowadays, that doesn't seem to work, and I am puzzled as to how to integrate the JavaDocs of Bukkit into Eclipse? Tried to google, but couldn't find a solution. Of course I can always use the JavaDocs in a browser, but it was so much easier when they were integrated into my IDE. Any help would be greatly appreciated. (BTW, am not using Maven for building my plugins, but I don't know if that is required. Hope not.)

2. Offline

BillyGalbreath

Remove rb/ from that url and try again.

3. Offline

Etsijä

Nope, no help at all. When validating the location, Eclipse gives this: "Location is likely valid. Files 'package-list' and 'index.html' have been found".
    Still, when going over to a Bukkit method, Eclipse complaint is the same as in the OP.

4. Offline

BillyGalbreath

5. Offline

RawCode

download javadocs and use local filesystem as source.

6. Offline

Etsijä

RawCode, I'm sorry but you're not being very helpful. Neither is Bukkit - I am googling hard, but still cannot find any instructions on how/where to download the Bukkit javadocs. Could you please
    be more specific?

Billy, thank you. Just read your post and the thread you linked surely gives good information. Maybe I can work this out. Will let the solution be known to everyone in case I can fix this. I am sure some others are experiencing this as well with Bukkit javadocs.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2016
  7. Offline

Wizehh

Don't mind him; RawCode is notorious for his obscure, usually unintelligible posts. Anyway, if you still need help, this post has the solution: https://forums.bukkit.org/posts/58241

8. Offline

Garris0n

They generally require a basic understanding of Java and the ability to google the terms used. Unfortunately, a lot of people don't bother to google the terms used (which is probably why a lot of them are posting here instead of finding old threads with the exact same problem). His strategy would be extremely helpful in encouraging people to find answers for themselves (essential for programming), however, unfortunately, when he tries to get people to do this, somebody else often shows up and gives them the exact answer. In turn, he looks like an asshole and the OP has no idea how to find solutions to their own problems.

BillyGalbreath likes this.
  9. Offline

Wizehh

And we usually have no idea what he's saying.

10. Offline

Garris0n

I do, I don't know about you...

11. Offline

xTrollxDudex

His posts are really useful, just ask for a real answer and he will give you a real answer.

12. Offline

Etsijä

Wizehh (and others): I actually did find this old thread when searching. It's just that I couldn't believe that a mechanism which has been working for me for two years (just pasting the HTTP link to the JavaDoc location into project propertiea) suddenly has stopped working. Well apparently it has, so I'll try the one suggested then.

EDIT: So downloading the Bukkit source code and linking it into the craftbukkit JAR did help; now I'm seeing all the documentation. So thanks for the tip. Personally I think this is a worse solution than the earlier one, because now I am required to keep my downloaded Bukkit source code up to date in order to keep my JavaDoc up to date, but oh well...

13. Offline

Failede

I'm not sure you understand, because my English is poor and I am going to the translator, but if you want to add javadoc of Bukkit that Eclipse is a need to do so:
    Right Mouse Button on the project (the root folder, the name of the project) > Properties > Java Build Path > Now click on the little plus sign at the JAR file added there since Bukkit > Javadoc location > Click > Button on the side to the right of the "Edit ..." > Select "Javadoc URL" > Enter http://jd.bukkit.org/apidocs/ there and press OK

14. Offline

Deleted user

15. Offline

Etsijä

Failede: I'm pretty sure you haven't understood my problem at all, since I'm saying in my original post that the method you are referring to doesn't work at all anymore.
    Joiner: well, yes, that has been discussed in this thread, and as I said, the method with including Bukkit source code worked, so all is (relatively) well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.