Help to make A bukkit Server + things needed all help is welcome

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by ashley, Aug 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

ashley

Hello Bukkit Community,

I am planning on making a bukkit server <- can anyone explain me all kinds of server
    RPG, SURVIVAL,Creative,PVP,
    Server Type i want ot use : Survival
    but don't know where to start
    i know all the basics of running a server
    but i need you're help to choose the right plugins
    ill make a short list
    what do i need?

Need a person to explain me how to use MineCart Mania and permissions (in-game) if possible

[1] Some People that can tell me What plugins to use for running and maintaining a server
    [2]Some creative people that have idea's about how a world needs to be
    [3]Any other help is welcome
    [4] A Server manager (tool)

if you could help with any of these
    ill be happy to hear it

plugins i currently have (tell me wich to delete)
    # = Approved by community
    # = Disapproved by community
    # = Still Awaiting answer
    # = Recommended by community
    1. bLift #
    2. ChairCraft #
    3. ColoredSigns #
    4. CommandBook #
    5. CraftBukkitUpToDate #
    6. DelayedStop #
    7. dynmap #
    8. LazyRoad #
    9. LivingBuilding #
    10. Lockette #
    11. MagicCarpet #
    12. MCDocs #
    13. MineBackup #
    14. mxRingplatform #
    15. MyHome #
    16. PlgLogCmd #
    17. PlgNoHealth #
    18. PlgSetspawn #
    19. PlugMan #
    20. PorteCoulissante #
    21. PreciousStones # <=> replaced by WorldGuard
    22. RetractableBridge #
    23. Spout #
    24. supplysign #
    25. WirelessRedstone #
    26. WoolSwitch #
    27. WorldEdit #
    28. WorldGuard #
    29. Help #
    30. Auto Help #

thanks anyway,

eddieash

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2016
  2. Offline

Supersam654

What type of server are you going to be running? PVP, Creative, RPG, Survival, Pseudo-vanilla? Once someone knows that, people can start helping you choose plugins. Also, I used to use MyMcAdmin as my server manager and I wasn't really thrilled with it. It didn't work correctly but I was getting a server through a hosting company so I couldn't change it.

3. Offline

ashley

Survival

4. Offline

Supersam654

Well, as an admin, it just feels good to be able to use WorldEdit. CraftBukkitUpToDate is always helpful, and PlgCmd is good if you think that some of your users are abusing commands. IDK if you want PlgNoHealth on a survival server...it kinda defeats the purpose. Also, if you leaning more towards anarchy, then leave Lockette out, but if you want it to be a little more controlled, then throw Lockette in there. I think that PlgSetSpawn will be good seeing as nobody is ever satisfied with the default spawn location. CommandBook always comes with a lot of useful commands that both you (an admin) and your players will enjoy. With that said, I noticed that a permissions plugin is not on your list! Unless you plan on using the op system (STRONGLY dis-recommended with this many plugins), you should probably take a look at PermissionsBukkit and the PermissionsBridge that you can install with it. Once all of your plugins support Bukkit SuperPerms, you can ditch the bridge, but it is a good idea to start off with the latest technology, rather than the oldest. I also think that MyHome will be good for players seeing as it generally eliminates a lot of useless walking. As far as Spout goes, don't install it unless you are looking into a Spout plugin. MagicCarpet is a great way to get around, but some feel like it gives users too much freedom and changes Minecraft too much. It's your call though.

My only question is what are you using MCDocs for?

I have never used any of the other plugins in the list so I can't really give you my input on them.

And as a final note, depending on how structured you want your server, you might want WorldGuard (same dev who makes WorldEdit and CommandBook). With WorldGuard, you can guard people's plots of land. However, it doesn't replace Lockette because sometimes your chest won't be on your land and you can't give WorldGuard to your users because there aren't any checks in it to make sure it isn't abused. Basically, you will need to protect other people's areas of land, they can't do it themselves. But remember, this is only for a structured survival server, not hardcore/anarchy.

5. Offline

ashley

thanks for advice

MCDocs : i use this for the MotD , News , Rules page
    i also have some problems setting up these Permissions that's why i didn't use them (i don't know how)
    any help with that?

6. Offline

Supersam654

Ok, I think you will like MCDocs for that. As far as permissions go, you really need it (it's not really optional). Try out PermissionsBukkit and if you have problems, tons of people will help you. I can tell you right now that your problem was with the config file because it has very strict rules for the configuration or else it won't work at all.

I also think that you will really like Help and AutoHelp. Help makes the /help command manageable and really easy to find what you are looking for. Unfortunately, it only supports a few plugins. AutoHelp on the other hand fixes that problem because it automatically makes every plugin support it!

7. Offline

ashley

Any seed proposals?
    Supersam do you have msn ?
    so i can ask questions easily

8. Offline

Supersam654

That, my friend, is an excelent question for Google! However, I personally just use the random one. But you would be amazed at what people have found as far as seeds go.

9. Offline

ashley

Do you have msn ?

10. Offline

Supersam654

11. Offline

ashley

thanks

12. Offline

kota99hix

if the server will not be white-list i really recommend mine backup. I
    had my server spawn greifed by TNT (smart greifer cause it was protected) and minebackup just saved the server

13. Offline

ashley

Thanks

any more advice? about the plugins?

Need a person to explain me how to use MineCart Mania and permissions (in-game) if possible

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2016
  14. Offline

Supersam654

I have never had too much success using Permissions in-game. I know it is possible, but it never worked right for me so I can't be much help with that. However, if you having problems configuring your permissions file correctly or don't know if default users should have certain permissions, I would be glad to help. As for MinecartMania, what features are you trying to get out of it? Honestly, the best way to learn about it is 2 watch the 23 minute video near the bottom of the original post. I recommend skipping past the installing part and just see what it does. If you want to add it, then go back to the installing part.

15. Offline

ashley

I want to learn how to use every Feature of the plugin
    espacially how to summon a Minecart (shown in the video)

16. Offline

Supersam654

Well...there is quite a bit to learn (it's a pretty major plugin). I recommend you simply start reading or watching video tutorials.

17. Offline

ashley

Is there a plugin for managing permissions plugin?
    something Like Pail but for Permissions

18. Offline

Jacobfish

I wouldn't use lockette, its inactive now, i would use LWC, which does the same thing but with a database rather than with signs.

19. Offline

Killburner

FYI, Lockette was forked to Deadbolt. You can't beat the simplicity of signs.

Jacobfish likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.