Great, Just Great

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Geertje123, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Geertje123

I replaced the craftbukkit.jar with the same file (because i thought there was an update) and now my server crashed, none of the plug-ins work anymore and none of my friends can log in anymore ('took too long to log in').

what happend and how do i solve this?

2. Offline

Redderick

You learned a HUGE lesson.

1. ALWAYS backup your working files.

Sadly, bugs happen. However, the best way to fix this is replace the old server back in (if you had it backed up), then file a response on it with support preferrably with pictures of the errors on the server.

3. Offline

Geertje123

well.
    it still isnt fixed + i now found out that bukkit and craft bukkit dont work anymore. :S

4. Offline

Orcworm

Have you tried downloading and using the old craftbukkit.jar that worked for you?

5. Offline

mughi

if you know which version of craftbukkit you had before, get it from here and put it back

otherwise, start bisecting (go back to like build 100, see if it works.. then go to 150, see if it dies, then go to 125.. etc. binary sort)

or you could fill this out (copy/paste the questions and answer them here) and someone might be able to help you get your server working as it is.

6. Offline

Geertje123

thanks for teh support guys, i can run it again and my friends can play. teh only problem now is that some plug-ins stopped working :S
    --- merged: Feb 8, 2011 8:33 PM ---
    world edit, world guard, permissions, dynmap etc.
    Everything, do i have to reinstall them all now?

7. Offline

Toasty

Best solution:

When updating your version of bukkit, run a test with the current version and the current version of all the plugins you're using, on a separate computer/VM from the one running your production server.

Hammer out the bugs there, and move everything over when it all works.

I usually wait two weeks between updating bukkit, because I don't fancy doing this for every incremental update, but this is still a good methodology for keeping your server up to date.

And ALWAYS back up your old server files. You should keep a folder for each of your past server iterations, and another folder for world backups. always keep the last two or three versions you used.

This can easily be considered overkill, but it fits enterprise-level update methodology (it's a good habit to develop).

8. Offline

Redderick

This is a great way to make sure your server doesn't explode everytime you update

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.