Getting Nether Portals to work with MultiVerse

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by seizure1990, Apr 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

seizure1990

Hello everyone,

I have a bukkit server with Multiverse, and can not get Nether Portals to work properly. I tried using the Multiverse NetherPortals plugin (both the last recommended, and last stable build) and both had the same issue: You would get transported to the Nether, but it wouldn't create a portal on the other side. In addition, you would often be spawned inside the rock and suffocate, and my friend says that on a couple occasions, she was sent to a "bedrock world" (I am assuming she was on the top of the Nether world, above the bedrock).

I suppose I could find a plugin that lets me manually connect portals and build the second myself with WorldEdit, but I was hoping for a solution that was less "hack-ish".

Does anyone have any advice? I'm not exactly married to the MultiVerse plugin either, so if there were another multiple worlds plugin that played nice with the Nether, feel free to point it out.

Thanks in advance!

2. Offline

Bobcat00

Are you sure you used versions which were compatible with each other? i.e., Multiverse-Core that matched Mutiverse-NetherPortals? I use the following versions, and nether portals seem to work OK.

Multiverse-Core 2.5-b686
    Multiverse-Inventories 2.5-b370
    Multiverse-NetherPortals 2.5-b681
    Multiverse-Portals 2.5-b708

3. Offline

seizure1990

I went to the dev download pages, and made sure to get the 2.5 version of each plugin, but still had the same issue... Could you please link me to the exact builds you are using, so I can make sure I'm not just making a stupid mistake?

4. Offline

LHammonds

I run Multiverse-Core-2.5-Build-670 and Multiverse-NetherPortals-2.5-Biuld-665

Here's a mini-tutorial/example for ya:

Managing Portals

NOTE: Make sure you link both ways.

/mvnp show nether
    /mvnp show end
    /mvnp link nether world world_nether
    /mvnp link nether world_nether world
    /mvnp link end world world_the_end
    /mvnp link end world_the_end world

Lets say that you create a world called "pvp" and related dimensions:

/mv create pvp normal
    /mv create pvp_nether nether
    /mv create pvp_the_end end

Now make sure the dimensions are all linked together:

/mvnp link nether pvp pvp_nether
    /mvnp link nether pvp_nether pvp
    /mvnp link end pvp pvp_the_end
    /mvnp link end pvp_the_end pvp

5. Offline

Bobcat00

I did list the exact builds I'm using.

If you're still having problems, start by listing the names of your worlds, all the plugins you're using, and the build number for CraftBukkit.

6. Offline

seizure1990

LHammonds, according to the NetherPortals plugin, if I have a world named "adventure", and I make a Nether realm named "adventure_nether", it should link automatically. I did witness this behavior, sort of. It teleported you to the world, but not always safely, and never made the second portal on the other side.

Is manually linking it somehow necessary for proper functionality, despite what the official literature says?

Bobcat00, sorry if I seem dense. I know you gave me the build numbers, but I am just at a loss as to why it won't work. I am currently using the latest recommended CB build. Other then when I tried switching versions around at your suggestion*, I am running the latest Awesome Build for Multiverse-Core, and the latest Awesome Build of Multiverse-Inventories. We tried using the latest stable build of Multiverse-NetherPortals. I might have a couple more plugins besides that, like a help pages plugin, but certainly nothing that has to do with teleportation/multi-worlds/nether/whatever. This server is relatively bare at the moment.

Is the MV-Core AB not compatible with NetherPortals or something?

* At which point, I grabbed the latest stable builds for each project. Was this the right thing to do? Their version numbers seemed to be correct.

7. Offline

LHammonds

These are mainly examples of "how" to link worlds and to ensure you understand they need to be reverse-linked as well. If you name the other worlds attaching "_nether" and "_the_end" and they work, then great. I have always forced the linkage because I had an issue with it a long time ago when the worlds should have linked correctly but didn't. So if they work, no problem...if they don't, then just link them.

I like to pre-make the bridges and spawn points before anyone gets their by making sure the spawn point is safe and protected with a WG region to avoid accidents.

He mentioned the builds he is using (which is newer than the ones I'm using) and I mentioned the ones I'm using. Simply download his or my set and see if they work. The point is to try and figure out "how" to get it working, then later you can see about updating to newer versions. Keep in mind that even though the builds I'm using are older, I have not had a problem with them since the day they were released and I have used these builds on just about every build of CraftBukkit (and lately Spigot) that has come out without any issues with them. I typically don't update to new versions unless they fix something broken that I'm experiencing or introduce a new feature I want.

LHammonds

8. Offline

Bobcat00

The builds I listed are Dev builds (not "awesome builds", not Bukkit-approved builds). Follow the links on the plugin pages to the Dev builds, and get the exact builds I listed. Look at the 3 digit number after the "b".

You certainly can't mix 2.4 and 2.5 versions of the plugins, which you seem to be doing. "Latest stable build" doesn't mean anything. You need to include the actual build number for us to know what you're running.

Oh, and you're running a CraftBukkit 1.6.4 build? That's probably not compatible with the 2.5 Multiverse builds. Why are you running an old version? I suggest running the latest Beta build, 1.7.2-R0.3 #3020.

When I ran MV 2.4 builds, they did not create return portals in the Nether. And anything older than MV-NP build 681 didn't create obsidian platforms in The End and players would fall into the Void. That's why I'm running the versions I am.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2016
  9. Offline

seizure1990

Hey guys, seems there has been some confusion, so let me clarify: I was definitely keeping my version numbers matched up. I was originally using the ABs (2.4), though I'm not sure NetherPortals has a 2.4 version, which I guess may have been the start of my problems. However, I did go and get 2.5 for all plugins as suggested after, I was not mixing them. Once they proved just as broken as the previous versions, I reverted back to the ABs, but in either case, versions are all the same.

I will download the dev builds again, and make extra certain I am getting the right build number this time, and then report back on the results.

Thanks for all the help so far

LHammond, I can understand how pre-building everything would be helpful for an administrated server, but the server I am playing on is just a private one for friends, so we are trying to achieve a more "Authentic" experience, with minimal use of WorldEdit, etc. I understand that overall though, my versions need to be high enough to support the features I need, and match up.

The versioning system for CraftBukkit is confusing me though. Admittedly, I just instructed my friend who's computer is running this, to go and get the latest recommended build. Did she make a mistake? Or did she get the latest recommended build, and for some reason, there are later builds which work great and have new features but aren't listed as recommended?

I will get the exact version numbers for everything from her when I get the chance.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2016
  10. Offline

LHammonds

Well, if you want a more authentic experience, don't install multiverse and stick with the 3 default dimensions. :)

There's nothing wrong with ensuring the exit points are where they should be (and safe)...even if you are setting up a vanilla (unmodded) minecraft_server.jar. For a private server, you certainly don't have to WG everything but ensuring the spawns are safe and portals are working are the basics of any administrator setting up a server.

If you want, you can send me what exact CB version you are using and MV versions and I'll see if I can't replicate the same issues you are having and figure out a fix. I have experience with vanilla, CraftBukkit, Spigot and MCPC+ servers so it won't matter what version you specify to me.

LHammonds

11. Offline

Bobcat00

Yes, there are later builds which work great and have new features but aren't listed as recommended. In particular, the latest Beta build, 1.7.2-R0.3 #3020. It works great and has just about all the latest Minecraft features except for player renaming. 1.7.2 has the new world generator, so you might want to delete your old worlds if you decide to switch to 1.7.2.

If this is a new server (meaning you have nothing to lose) and you're feeling lucky, you could try the latest 1.7.9 development build.

Regardless of which version you're running, you need to make sure all plugins are compatible with that version.

12. Offline

seizure1990

Alright, I rounded up all the plugins as listed by Bobcat. It fixed the issues mentioned, but it is still buggy. Namely, when you die, you still respawn in the Nether. Is there something I need to do to make it so that you get sent back to the overworld?

Thanks for all the help so far.

13. Offline

Bobcat00

14. Offline

seizure1990

Alright, it seems that got it working. I used the /mv setRespawn command, which did the trick. Thanks for all the help and guidance Bobcat and LHammonds!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.