Future server owner in a dilemma, need some help.

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by EgyptianKing, Oct 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

EgyptianKing

Hey should I wait for the dmca to be removed to make a server or go on ahead and make a 1.7.10 server? All the drama about bukkit going to shit is all over, i'm assuming. So I don't see me waiting for Sponge or any other alternative, or should I? I actually see Bukkit going in a positive direction as members of Curse and maybe even Microsoft might work on it. I don't really know what's going on, I just need some guidance.

Off topic, does anyone know how long it took Bukkit to be made?

2. Offline

JaguarJo

If you really want a Minecraft server and you like using Bukkit plugins, then you might as well go ahead and make a 1.7.10 server now (provided you have access to a CraftBukkit.jar file to run it with, as you won't be able to download one).

I wouldn't wait on the DMCA; just go into it knowing that there may not be a 1.8 CraftBukkit update and you might need to switch to other software in the future. This in-between versions time will give you good practice at server maintenance and let you get a feel for what it's like to run things. Plus you can slowly start building a playerbase, since there are still people who play on 1.7.x servers.

Or, you could try making a 1.8 server using one of the alternatives that has functioning parts already running. You won't have as many plugin options as you would with a 1.7.10 Bukkit server, but you would be one of the early servers offering players a 1.8 experience. Going this route would probably take more troubleshooting on your part though, since the software is new and still being worked on.

EgyptianKing likes this.
  3. Offline

Gamecube762

Curse is NOT working on Bukkit, they are just here to keep the forums and community alive. When and how the DCMA is removed is up to Mojang/Microsoft. The takedown request was made with the reason of MC's source code not being Open Source, Bukkit's licence requires it to be so. I don't see the DCMA request being removed soon as making MC open source is something that Mojang doesn't want.

EgyptianKing likes this.
  4. Offline

EgyptianKing

JaguarJo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.