Inactive [FUN] MagicSpells - Add magic to your server

Discussion in 'Inactive/Unsupported Plugins' started by nisovin, May 8, 2011.

1. Offline

nisovin

MagicSpells - Add magic to your server!

View the plugin on BukkitDev!

MagicSpells is a plugin that creates spells your players can use. Its main purpose is to give your players access to certain abilities that you might not want to give them unlimited access to. Each spell can be assigned customized reagent (item) costs, cooldowns. durations, ranges, and so on. Spells can be cast by using the /cast command, swinging a wand, or both. It's all customizable.

Download

Important: Read before downloading! There is a lot of information in this post. I know, it's a lot to read. However, I spent quite a while writing it all in what I hope is a clear, informative, and understandable manner. So, please, read the entire post before asking a question. Chances are, the answer is already here. I also suggest taking a nice look through the configuration file. Is it a massive file? Yes, it is. But if your question is "can I do this?" then a look through the configuration options would be a good idea.
    Plugin Manual

There is a lot of useful information in the plugin manual, which can be found here:

MagicSpells Plugin Manual

Usage

Spells can be cast either by using the /cast command or by using a wand item. To cast a spell, a player must first know the spell. Server operators know all spells by default. They can teach spells to other players by using the teach spell. For example, to teach bob the blink spell, an operator would type: /cast teach bob blink.

Bob can now use the blink spell. He can either cast it by command, by typing /cast blink, or he can cast it with a wand item. To select the spell, he holds the wand in his hand and right clicks. Right clicking will cycle through any spells assigned to the item he is holding. When he has the one he wants, he left clicks to cast.

If Bob does not have the required reagents for the spell, or if he has cast it recently and it is still on cooldown, he will not be able to cast the spell and will instead receive an error message.

If mana is enabled, a player can use the /mana command to see how much mana they currently have.

Spells

View Spell List

Configuration

The zip file contains a config.yml file that should go into the MagicSpells folder within your plugins directory. The default configuration has appropriate spell costs, durations, and messages for each spell. However, you will most likely want to customize this to fit your server.

You can modify the config.yml file directly, or you can choose to leave it intact and instead create an alternate config file, by default altConfig.yml. Any configuration values in this alternate file will override the values in the main config file.

There are some general configuration options that apply to all spells, as well as options for each individual spell. Important: The default configuration file does NOT contain all config options, it is just an example. Just because a config option isn't in the default doesn't mean it is not available. For example, it's possible to add a duration to any buff spell, even though the default configuration file does not have a duration on all buff spells.

To reload the configuration, simply cast the fake reload spell (/cast reload). Only server operators can do this (it can also be done from the command line).

Please see the plugin manual for information about all of the various configuration options.

Frequently Asked Questions

Help me! Why isn't it working?
    If - after reading through this entire post - you can't figure out why it isn't working, please take the time to submit a proper help request. You can post your request either on in this thread or in the MagicSpells forum. You should provide the following information:
    • The CraftBukkit build you're using.
    • The MagicSpells version you're using.
    • Which permissions plugin (if any) you are using.
    • The error in the console, if there is one.
    • Your config file(s). Please don't post them directly , use a service like http://pastebin.com and just post the link.
    It says I need reagents whenever I cast a spell! Where do I get reagents?
    One of the main ideas behind this plugin is to give players cool abilities, but with a cost. The reagents are the spell's cost. This can be configured in the config.yml file individually for every spell. The config option name is "cost". You can also add your name to the list of exceptions in the general.cast-for-free option.

Can I unbind spells from items?
    Yes. Simply use the bind spell to bind the spell to your empty hand, and it will no longer be bound to any item.

Why can't my players cast spells?
    Why does it say "You cannot cast that spell right now" when I try to cast any spell?
    If you're using Permissions, please make sure your permissions are all set up correctly. Look in the Configuration: Permissions section for more information. Also double check and make sure your use-permissions config option is set to true.

What are the Permissions nodes?
    The nodes are listed on the permissions information page in the plugin manual.

I can't get my Permissions working! Can you help me?
    Remember that all nodes use the "real" spell name, rather than the name you define with the "name" option. If you cannot get your permissions working, feel free to ask for help. Make sure you specify which permissions plugin you are using, and all of the items from the "Help Me!" question above.

Will you add iConomy (or another economy plugin) support?
    With the addition of the 'tome' and 'scroll' spells, I currently have no plans to add special support for an economy plugin. You should be able to create tomes and scrolls and sell them using any plugin that allows you to sell items, thus allowing you to sell spells.

I have a great spell idea! Will you add it?
    Please tell me about it by submitting a ticket! I can't guarantee that I'll make it, but if it's a feasible idea, I'll definitely consider it. I'm always looking for new spell ideas. Note that I may not respond directly to your idea, but I always read the suggestions.

I've found a bug! What do I do?
    Please submit a ticket! Please include your CraftBukkit build number, any error in the console, the situation that caused the error (if known), and if you think it's applicable, the list of plugins you use.

Change Log

View full change log

Donate: Always gotta have a donate link for those who love their plugin authors.

2. Offline

shanko

cant get my web spell to be a spell copy...

when I try to /cast it it says I dont know a spell by that name, when i try to teach it to myself it says id ont know a spell by that name

the item i set to it wont cast it either, whats wrong here?

http://pastebin.com/T387kMWB

I just tried a different spell and it still doesnt work... no error, no prompt, when i swing the item i chose for it there is no sign that it tried to cast a spell

typing /cast mynewspell says you dont know a spell by that name x.x

i did copy=original right, i did it all just as presented

Okay so i was able to make it work by going into the spellbook and adding the spell to my known spells...

how do i make it so everyone else on the server learnst his spell too?

EDIT: okay it seems completely brand new players learn it... but the new spell wont get added to any of the old players text file... the grant node is set to true and i know it is because everyone has all the spells without learning them... except for the new one wolf.. only brand new players get it. I tried deleted my text file as a test to see if it would remake my text file and give me the spell but that just made it so i couldnt cast any spells. How can i make this plugin update everyoens text file with a new spell ?

EDIT 2: Okay it seems every player is learning the spell as they login... at least i think..
    well every player except me?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2016
  3. Offline

nisovin

@shanko Have you tried reloading the server?

4. Offline

shanko

yes I have many times, I'm also worried now... a new player just joined and his txt file ONLY had the new spell, none of the other ones x.x

5. Offline

Grammar Troll

error (open)
    14:29:53 [SEVERE] Error occurred while enabling MagicSpells v1.2 (Is it up to date?): 1
    java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 1
    at com.nisovin.magicspells.MagicSpells.loadSpellCopies(MagicSpells.java:431)
    at com.nisovin.magicspells.MagicSpells.load(MagicSpells.java:211)
    at com.nisovin.magicspells.MagicSpells.onEnable(MagicSpells.java:94)
    at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPlugin.setEnabled(JavaPlugin.java:126)
    at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPluginLoader.enablePlugin(JavaPluginLoader.java:941)
    at org.bukkit.plugin.SimplePluginManager.enablePlugin(SimplePluginManager.java:280)
    at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.CraftServer.loadPlugin(CraftServer.java:174)
    at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.CraftServer.enablePlugins(CraftServer.java:157)
    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.e(MinecraftServer.java:297)
    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.a(MinecraftServer.java:284)
    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.init(MinecraftServer.java:152)
    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:348)
    at net.minecraft.server.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:417)

I know I made a flaw in the config.yml, but can you see where by looking at this error? I have over 900 lines in the .yml, so I don't want to bother you with that burden.

6. Offline

nisovin

Looks like your spellcopies section is not set up correctly.

7. Offline

shanko

hmm weird sorry for bothering you nivo the spell copies seems to be working now, it just wont update my spells for some reason but it udpates everyone elses (maybe because i deleted my original spell list text file?)

EDIT:

also a suggestion that would make external spells much more flexible, have an option that will add the person the player is currently targetting's name to the end of the command! So you can implement outside spells that effect targets :]

8. Offline

Silvo

Super plugin. But one thing.
    Tried the plugin on my little lan server and all OPed players have their cooldowns and costs for spells ignored. I can follow the logic in that but an option in the config to apply cost/cooldowns to OPed players too would be like the holy grail of awesomeness.

9. Offline

nisovin

Those are permissions. If you are using a permissions plugin, you can just take those permission nodes away. Otherwise, don't op them?

10. Offline

Silvo

This won't do :D .. Its a lan server for trusted friends, so no permissions used. And deoping them would break all other plugin functionalities. But thanks for the reply.

And if simply deoping would satisfy my problem I wouldn't make this post :)

11. Offline

nisovin

Well, you could edit the plugin.yml file in the jar and change the default to "false" instead of "op".

12. Offline

Silvo

oh .. ty. Will try that

Works now! Good to know there are plugin developers who actually care about their plugin users. Thank you again. Your plugin is a great asset to our server.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2016
  13. Offline

Silvo

... Request.
    Support damage values for wand items when ignoring default spell binds. So we can make mutiple spell tomes that are used as wand items to cast spells ( bookworm ).

14. Offline

wooden_dinosaur

Heya, I have my external spells now working, but they are only castable by admin/op group? Do I need to put a permission node in the Temporary permissions section to use them for general users? It simply tells me I don't know this spell, there is no permissions error. And... I have a couple questions and requests.

EXTERNAL SPELLS: FIXED, AND WORKING FOR ALL GROUPS WOOHOO!

1. Would it be possible to implement whitelist of allowed spells for No-Magic zones? (I haven't tried yet, but it seems like i read somewhere that worldguard allows blacklisting certain commands/command strings as one of its flags?) If this the worldguard bit is true and possible, disregard this request :D
    2. How about a spell: Enchant? Usage would be to "enchant" a held item with a known command. (Basically bind a command string with args to an item?) Like external spells only without elevated permissions. An example using worldguard /locate command (while holding compass, for instance): /cast enchant 'locate wooden_dinosaur'
    3. Are there multiple events for block damage explosions? tnt,fireball,creeper? If so; In the explode spell, would it be possible to name which explosion event is used?
    4. Request spell: Annul Magic - strips enchantments from a target player
    5. Request spell: Magic Barrier - Enchantment to protect you from being a target of spells.

15. Offline

sleite

Latest server builds break this plug-in. Stay with RB1185.
    Examples: Carpet spell doesn't work.
    Can anybody confirm this?

16. Offline

nisovin

Yes, carpet, frostwalk, walkway, and stonevision do not work with the latest RB. It'll be fixed soonish.

17. Offline

Silvo

Any chance this will be implemented anytime soon?

18. Offline

sleite

Awesome .. thanks. Might wanna check on haste as well.

19. Offline

Grifhell

20. Offline

Silvo

Well.. not really a conflict unless you bind a spell to a book or book with a damage value ( a bookworm book ).
    I made a book with bookworm called ~Fireball. I added the spell cost and some info about the spell as the text of that book. Then I binded the Fireball spell with /cast bind fireball in that book.
    The results....
    If I have selected the fireball spell and the wand is my ~Fireball bookworm book, ANY other book acts as a wand for fireball aswell.
    Plus.... If you have put the book into a bookcase and the retrive it with shift+left click ... your current active spell that is binded on books (ID340 I think) IS CAST and in my case it was fireball which ended up as a neat explosion in my library.

So... THE BIND SPELL :D .. needs to bind spell only on your specific book and not all books. Means.. the plugin needs DAMAGE VALUE support so your spell can be binded to book:1, book:2, or 340:7 etc and not only on book or 340

21. Offline

MxRacer100

my "/cast list" and "/cast help" and really any "/cast spell" that doesnt use a wand, like for help or listing ur usable spells arent working. When im not an op "/cast list" says i dont know a spell with that name and when i am an op nothing even shows up. same with /cast help it says i dont know the spell or nothing even shows up

*Just to make sure u understand all my ACUAL spells like "/cast entomb,fireball,forcetoss,blink
    etc. or in other words spells that use the stick wand and gold sword work...just not spells/help commands that require you to acually type /cast <command>

Also i did the thing to make ops still have to use mana and reagant where u edit the plugin.yml in the magicspells.jar and as an op i still dont need reagents or mana when casting any spell.

*Fix I think. I think i fixed this. it just had to do with me as owner having the "*" permission which would cover the magicspells.noreagent/mana. Though the /cast list still doesnt work. (How can i remove magicspells.noreagents from my permissions while still having "*"?)

22. Offline

nisovin

You also have the magicspells.silent permission. Removing a permission node depends on your permissions plugin, you should look at the instructions for whichever plugin you are using.

23. Offline

Godwar101

I wan't to give the spells as a benefit.
    Default people can use any spell without any permission placed ... how can I block that?
    I want that only a certain group be able to do the spells and use this plugin.

24. Offline

Silvo

Please make it work with bookworm books as wand items.

25. Offline

nisovin

Players cannot cast any spells by default, so if they are able to cast all spells you've done something wrong with your permissions. Look at the permissions config section for more information.
    This is coming in the next version.

26. Offline

Silvo

Can't wait. My favorite magic plugin with bookworm. Epic!

27. Offline

FlyJ4ck

I got a huge problem.
    I want to disable 'cost' thing, so spells are free, and only consumes mana.
    How to do that? :(

28. Offline

nisovin

Remove the cost for all of the spells.

29. Offline

FlyJ4ck

can u show how, on one spell?
    show me example :D

30. Offline

nisovin

Just remove the cost from the config. It's not hard. Look at the list spell as an example, it has no cost.

31. Offline

wooden_dinosaur

Hello again! Plugin is working as intended now that I have it set up appropriately. I have a couple more feature requests! And thinking of trying my hand at writing my own plugin! haha
    Newest Requests:
    1. Could it be made to have anti-magic zones strip buffs upon entry?
    2. Could it be made possible to have a list of blocks that telekinesis can target through?

brilliant work, nisovin!