Fully developed server can't operate due to chunk errors.

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by beachbum1212, Feb 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

beachbum1212

Alright, so we currently have 7 cities and a fairly low player population, so checking all of them every day is very difficult, and doing it more often than that is impossible. Now, I'm not entirely sure if you would actually refer to this as a chunk error, but it's basically sections of the map that randomly restore to their default. (eg building gets replaced by original landscape's mountain).

This happens at least once a day, and often wipes out 1-2 structures per chunk, although it's not unusual for it to be more. Even with auto backups, there is nothing I can do, because there is no way of telling when they happened and I always end up wiping user's work. So I just wanted to find out if this is common, if it's a plugin im using, if there are any troubleshooting options,etc.

Server info:
    Craftbukkit build-165
    Plugins-Elevator,General,iChat,MagicCarpet,OChestDump,Permissions,SearchIds,Warp,woolcolor,WorldEdit,WorldGuard
    Server was run with .5gb RAM for a while since no one complained I forgot to change it for bukkit. Just changed it (moments ago) to:
    @echo off
    "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -Xms1500M -Xmx1500M -jar craftbukkit.jar
    pause

Computer info:
    Windows 7 home premium
    x64
    Java 1.6

Any suggestions appreciated, amazing community forming so far, so appreciative of the enthusiastic response to bukkit.
    [​IMG]

2. Offline

TnT

Update it.

Check them for updates, and update them.

Change that to:
    Code:
    "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -Xincgc -Xmx1500M -jar craftbukkit.jar nogui
    You poor bastard.

3. Offline

beachbum1212

Haha, alright thanks for the suggestions. And fortunately that's not the pc I have for personal use.

4. beachbum1212 said:
    Craftbukkit build-165​

Update it.

- Um, I'm running 165. It doesn't cause these errors. Newer builds DO cause other errors though, so I'm concerned you're leading him into more problems here with no guarantee that you're even fixing his current problem.

Plugins-Elevator,General,iChat,MagicCarpet,OChestDump,Permissions,SearchIds,Warp,woolcolor,WorldEdit,WorldGuard​
    Check them for updates, and update them.

- Also not aware that iChat can corrupt chunks but again this advice will force him to use a much later build which might give him more errors. Would love to know if you even know if all these work on latest or if you're gonna make him lose half his plugins as well as gain new problems.

"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -Xms1500M -Xmx1500M -jar craftbukkit.jar​
    Change that to:

Code:
    "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -Xincgc -Xmx1500M -jar craftbukkit.jar nogui
    - Since its a Home PC what benefit is there to nogui, except having no way to tell when its using too much RAM due to memory leaks and in need of a reboot?

To be fair, I guess you're telling him "tl;dr but this is my configuration so you should use the same" but you didn't list your plugins to let him duplicate your setup that works.

Beachbum1212: I've had this error, too. Before Bukkit was even written. We had a city and had to switch hosting, so for a while we were in "party mode". Reason for this was because we had the same error as you. Parts of the City kept reverting to original gen - which was a lake. This happened every reboot. It was when we had the last official HMod because we had stargates after that.

This is how I solved it or at least made it manageable until Notch's next update broke everything again:
    - problem happened on a reboot.
    - it let me do /#save-all then Zip the files when server was running ok.
    - on reboot the chunk errors would show up
    Fix:
    - save-all then Zip files before any reboot
    - before starting server, unzip the backup from before shutdown.
    - no chunk errors!

But whatever this is, my identical problem was nothing to do with Bukkit or plugins.

Let me know if this fix works for you!
    Take Care,
    Corum.​

5. Offline

TnT

You are definitely entitled to your own opinion, but my advice is sound.

As CraftBukkit is in rapid development, a lot of these issues can be traced back to old build, or old builds of plugins. When using bleeding edge software, you should try to stay fairly current. I remember seeing that problem on older builds, hence suggesting an update. If his plugins can't keep up with the updating (mine all do), he may want to look for plugins that are staying current. Looking for a "stable" build in bleeding edge software is crazy.

You so quickly point out I suggested a "nogui" option (which, btw, does nothing, as there is no gui yet), but completely missed where I replaced the -Xms1500M line with the -Xincgc command, which does incremental garbage collection (leads to improved server performance and decreased RAM consumption).

6. Offline

Pezmantbh

@CorumAnime - TnT knows what he is doing. He has hundreds of posts in this support section, and I have not seen him give any info which has lead to more problems. When he gives advice, he makes sure he knows what he is talking about - you don't need to worry about him giving bad advice :) I would trust him with my servers any day.

@beachbum1212 - Some users have reported problems like this with Warpgate and Wormhole, as well as other plugins that do similar things. I saw in your OP that you said "warp" but that isn't specific (Unless there is a plugin called warp :p )

7. Offline

Lologarithm

The problems with Wormhole are only temporary - it is caused by the server being unable to load a chunk and crashing. As soon as you restart the server everything is fine. Also, this doesn't happen with any newer builds of Wormhole as I stopped running multiple threads.

8. Offline

beachbum1212

Well thanks for the advice everyone! TnT, I've done all the things you said, and I'll try yours too corum, but due to the size of the server zipping that amount of files every time I need to reboot would take incredible amounts of time. Too soon to see if either is helping at this point.

Also, I do not use warpgate, wormhole, or anything like that. The "warp" plugin is actually SimpleWarps, sorry about the confusion, I just went down and listed everything on the .jar list.

9. TnT, thanks for the reply. Sorry my comments focussed on the negative, I was reading your post as being too dismissive of the OP and in turn ended up sounding the same way. Actually maybe it *would* be a good idea for you to list some of your plugins for the OP so he knows what works with the latest build, for example he wants some way to use warps.. etc.
    I was just trying to share my own experiences so the OP has as much info to guide him as possible, especially since I've seen his problem before. Currently with a lot of players and a lot of recent downtime I'm being as cautious as possible, however OP is in a position where he can afford to try what you suggest.
    Take Care,
    Corum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.