Inactive [FIX/MECH] RangedWolves v1.0.2 - Bring out your hunting dogs! [1988 / 1.1-R6]

Discussion in 'Inactive/Unsupported Plugins' started by ACStache, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Offline

ACStache

RangedWolves - Bring out your hunting dogs!
    Version: v1.0.2- CB 1988 (1.1-R6)

All Relevant information is now on my Bukkit Dev page!
    Here's the link: http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/ranged-wolves/

This plugin allows for having your pet wolves attack your ranged target. In other words: if you attack a creature or player with any sort of projectile (arrow/snowball/egg), your wolves will attack that target!
    I had been looking for this feature for a while and haven't come across it, so I took it upon myself to build my java skills and make it happen!

MobArena is NOT required, however it is an awesome plugin.

Many thanks to @garbagemule for helping me throughout the ordeal, and teaching me stuff about Java I didn't realize/learn yet in school. And also for making Mob Arena :)

Download RangedWolves - BukkitDev link
    Secondary Download - Github (supposedly wget friendly)
    Source Code - Github (also included in the jar file)

For the entire Changelog, look here: Changelog

2. Offline

BooGaLoo90

I had a problem trying out this plugin around OCT 30. What would happen is tamed wolves with no owners spawn randomly and in the hundreds! even in newly generated chunks if you were to explore you will find tamed wolves sitting and in pairs. upon disabling this plugin, all tamed wolves with no owners immediately disappeared.

3. Offline

ACStache

O_O eep! I haven't encountered that myself, I wonder if it's the Skeleton archers spawning and then despawning, but leaving their pet wolves behind... I'll look into this (most likely tomorrow, today is fairly busy)! Thanks for the heads up :)

4. Offline

BooGaLoo90

that actually sounds very possible, because the dogs always spawned in pairs. i literally spent about 2 hours killing about 500-1000 dogs using a powertool with lightning attached to it lol. there was a lot of dogs. at first i thought one of my ops spamming wolves, but the thing is they are tamed and i dont think its possible to spawn tamed wolves. Also, whenever i connected to the server and the chunks havent properly loaded, you could see even more dogs in cave systems under spawn >.< lol.

5. Offline

ACStache

From my searching yesterday, there is unfortunately no event that listens for creature or entity despawning. I'm going to see if I can't bug someone on the Bukkit team to maybe add something like that in, or point me in the right direction. As of right now, there's no easy way for me to do it.

I can have it run a check every so often to see if wolves that are tamed have an owner, and kill them if they don't. But ultimately, I'm not sure if that would kill Skeleton Tamer's pets or not, I haven't actually checked who the owner of that wolf would be. I'll try to do some testing in that department this weekend. If it turns out the Skeletons are marked as the owner, then I'll figure out a way to kill off the extra wolves every so often.

6. Offline

shanko

I hope this gets updated to work again :3

7. Offline

ACStache

What's not working? do you mean for 1.0? Once Bukkit releases a 1.0 ready RB, then I'll update this :)

8. Offline

Deleted user

Is there a RB 1185 version of this?

9. Offline

ACStache

@ShootToMaim there is no Current Version built against CB 1185, mainly because of the Configuration update in CB 1317. The last version built against CB 1185 is 0.7.2a. There have been a few bug fixes/updates since then. Although, you should be able to use up to v0.7.4 without issue. Check out my BukkitDev page for RangedWolves, all the old downloads are there.

If you upgrade to CB 1317 or later, you can use all the way up to 0.8.2 though.

10. Offline

ACStache

to all who've been using this:
    I'm working on updating this a bit to try and account for the reported extra wolves lurking around the map. After a Skeleton Tamer dies (supposedly a despawn is an entity dying somehow, though I'm still confused on that part), instead of his pet(s) becoming angry, it(they) will become angry for 10 seconds and then die on it's own if it's not already dead. I'm not sure if this will fix the issue or not, but I'd like you all to try.

Switching this from being built against RB 1337 to CB 1566, I had to make zero changes to the code. It *should* work for any 1.0 Bukkit build. If not, report anything to my Bukkit Dev page and I'll make sure to work on it.

I'd also like some feedback: I know I added Skeleton Tamers on a whim, but has anyone actually encountered a working Skeleton Tamer? Do their wolves attack you? If it all works and their wolves get angry when they die, would you like that to be able to be altered in the configuration? What of it's new 10 second duration? Let me know your thoughts (also preferably on my Bukkit Dev page :))

(my bukkit dev page)

11. Offline

ACStache

Hooray for new RBs!! Updating the Bukkit Dev site next :)

Ah shoot, I updated for 1597 but forgot to update the config to include Small Fireball projectiles and Potions lol. I'll get right on that

v0.8.4 bring about the addition of Potions and Small Fireballs (should you learn to shoot them anytime soon) to possible projectiles! Unfortunately it brings about the demise of Skeleton Tamers, as they are currently not possible to implement.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2016
  12. Offline

shanko

Wolves spawn with skeletons but they spawn sitting so they cant really do much

13. Offline

ACStache

@shanko yea, I tried to make it so the wolf knew that the skeleton was it's owner, but it started yelling at me, and threw errors in console. I hope to bring them back some point in the future though :)

14. Offline

shanko

coolio! looking foward to it

15. Offline

ACStache

updated!
    v0.8.5 is out
    • Added permissions to the plugin.yml file and their appropriate checks in the code
      • 5 total permissions, 2 minimally required to use this completely
    • Cleaned up the config handling code, had duplicate code running.
    • Merry Christmas!

16. Offline

lulitsian

It seems when you shoot yourself, the wolves target you. Also, do you think you could make this compatible with the Heroes' skill "Wolf" so summoned tame wolves are considered owned by the summoner?

17. Offline

ACStache

I will add that check into the code, although I didn't think you could actually manage to shoot yourself lol. I suppose shooting straight up would do the trick though...

As for the Heroes' skill 'wolf', I can make it check if the spawned wolf is tamed, and if so who the owner is, and add it to the person. For some reason I thought I had it doing that, but I guess I opted to not do that initially. I actually did code it to do this, but a silly error on my part made it so it never got around to adding those wolves, whoops!

I have a question though: what happens to these wolves? do they stay indefinitely or do they go away after a certain amount of time?

Thanks for the feedback! I'll tag you when I push an update out :)

18. Offline

lulitsian

The wolves are supposed to stay indefinitely. In the skill config I don't see any limited duration. You can only summon a configurable amount of wolves at once, though.

19. Offline

ACStache

Sorry for the delayed response. I'll be putting out an update soon that fixes your issues!

Edit: @lulitsian I've uploaded a v0.8.6 with the issues mentioned addressed, plus a little more fixing the config file to coincide with how MobArena is going to be handling it in it's next (not yet released) stable build

20. Offline

ACStache

So I can't update the title of the thread, but
    I've uploaded an update 0.8.7
    Plugs up a couple NPEs that rarely happen, but have since happened to some.

21. Offline

ACStache

Updated to v0.8.8
    Adds an option to the config to disable your wolves from going after Creepers.
    However, if you disable this action, there is a Permission node to override this. (no one gets this by default if you're using no permissions plugin). See my Bukkit Dev page for the information.
    Also fixed some possible spam/config error on my part.

22. Offline

shanko

you should add a feature to limit the amount of dogs a person can have!

23. Offline

ACStache

shanko I can add this, the easiest way being there's an option that says "no more than X wolves per player" and if they have permission "limit override" they aren't stopped by that cap. Would that work or would you like it done differently?

24. Offline

shanko

that would be awesome :D

25. Offline

ACStache

shanko ok then, I'll start working on that then :)

26. Offline

ACStache

I've begun working on building this against the 1.1 RB that just came out. I'm going to wait until a stable build of MobArena for 1.1 also comes out so I don't have to keep doing 2 different versions of this. From what I can tell, 0.8.8 should still work, but I could be wrong.

Edit: shanko's request for a configurable cap of wolves per player is also going in to the next version, with an overriding permission node. I'll update all the pages on my bukkit dev page accordingly when I release it.

27. Offline

groovynatureguy

I love this plugin!

28. Offline

ACStache

awesome! glad to hear it :)

29. Offline

shanko

Any word on the next update?

30. Offline

ACStache

it's in the works, I just am waiting for a stable MobArena release so I don't have to support 2 different versions of it again. I learned my lesson compiling this against his earlier dev builds :p and having 2 separate versions of RangedWolves

If you're using the current dev builds of MobArena, however, I'd be willing to let you try out the "dev" (but basically all stable & good to go) version of this. PM me if this is the case :)

31. Offline

ACStache

Just got around to pushing out an update. It's built against 1.1-R6 and should work on 1.2 as well (Haven't tested this on 1.2 yet). Please report any errors to my bukkit dev page :)