"Fake" Bukkit Server Version?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by xbenas, Jun 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

xbenas

Hey everyone!
    So with the new update on the way, obviously all (I mean, ALL) the dumb-butts will update and start crying "mwhaa whaaaaaa update ur server plox" and "wtf u stoopid update the server omg you suck admin". So I think I've got an idea, because I saw some other servers do it.
    "Fake" the server vesion!
    The point is, it's going to be the absolutely the same 1.5.2, but some text which defines the version line will be changed to 1.6.
    Is this even possible in theory?
    Also, obviously they won't have any of the 1.6 features but atleast they won't be crying why they can't play in the server.

2. Offline

Necrodoom

well, stuff like this exist, but wont get support for modifying bukkit like this.

3. Offline

xbenas

Neat. Can you provide any links?

4. Offline

Necrodoom

there isnt 1.6 out yet.. and you wont get links for modified bukkit versions like this on here.

5. Offline

lycano

xbenas so instead of beeing called a bad admin you will get called something else as soon as they find out that 1.6 features will not work.

This will not resolve your problem. If they want 1.6 so bad you can setup a classic server as long as there is no 1.6 CB beta release. After doing so you will get shitloads of comments like "wtf i dont have may fancy prefix" ... Those people cant be silenced they demand over and over again.

When they grow up they will realise that they have to wait sometimes. But then they probably wont play minecraft any longer....

6. Offline

iSayCr4pAlot

I kind of actually like this idea. When 1.6 comes, you will have to rely on all of the plugin developers you have, to update their plugin. Some will still work, while some will not. Having a 1.5.2 version of bukkit, but playable on 1.6 would be good. As for lying to the players that you actually have 1.6, i dont think thats a good idea.

7. Offline

Bobcat00

Except if there's a protocol change, then everything will crash, and your users will still be unhappy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.