Developing Plugins with Other IDEs

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by KeybordPiano459, Dec 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

KeybordPiano459

Hey, I was curious on how people thought about coding plugins with other IDEs. Should I code my .java files on a separate program and then when I'm done, transfer them to my other computer that has eclipse on it? I'm curious because I got a chromebook for christmas today <3 and the IDE that I badly want to use is Cloud9 because it seems like the only IDE that I can get on the chrome store that is really amazing, but I'm pretty sure I can't compile or have CraftBukkit.jar as an import. What should I do?

2. Offline

fireblast709

you could probably just build it...

3. Offline

KeybordPiano459

fireblast709
    What I mean is basically should I use a text editor to code in java? The problem is that it doesn't point out errors for or syntax highlight for java, so... =/

4. Offline

fireblast709

5. Offline

KeybordPiano459

fireblast709
    Which IDE? I have Cloud9 installed, and that's the one I'm talking about above. I'm just asking this because unfortunately, eclipse hasn't been made for the chromebook yet.

6. Offline

fireblast709

KeybordPiano459 then why are you talking about coding in a regular text editor and not in your IDE?

7. Offline

KeybordPiano459

fireblast709
    Because if you code Java with Cloud9, it's pretty much a regular text editor because they don't support Java.

8. Offline

chaseoes

What's wrong with Eclipse? You can download Mac versions.

9. Offline

Sagacious_Zed Bukkit Docs

But you can't get chrome versions, which is what you need for a chromebook.

10. Offline

RealDope

Moral of the story: Don't use chromebooks.

Panjab, Ne0nx3r0 and Tirelessly like this.
  11. Offline

Giant

I don't see the problem with a plain text editor. If you're good enough, you'll won't make that many mistakes. Sure a mistake here or there can't be avoided, but those should be easily fixable during compile process in your IDE, or even console using javac or such if you prefer :)

12. Offline

Deleted user

Hmm, found this.

13. Offline

JazzaG

You're thinking outside the scope of the chromebook and trying to do something they weren't designed to do. They aren't notebooks or ultrabooks or anything of the like..they are basically computers that are only made for accessing the internet.

14. Offline

Mozio

eclipse or NETbeans

15. Offline

Tirelessly

The epitome of not even reading the thread

ZeusAllMighty11 likes this.
  16. Offline

Mozio

I thought chromebooks run on Windows sorry >.<

17. Offline

ZeusAllMighty11

Chromebooks don't run on Windows, they don't run on mac, or Linux. They may run on a variation of one/some of the listed, but it's not that to the entirety. If you don't even know what a Chromebook is, please don't even bother posting.

I have a Chromebook, But I am currently using my HP soooo I have Windows 7 and all of it's features ( :D )

If it becomes possible to emulate portable windows apps from Chrome, you can get Eclipse Portable and put it on there...

Other than that, there is nothing on Chrome that I know of that allow you to do what you need for compilation of plugins...

Also, Christmas is not today? 0_o

Edit:
    Code:
    Eclipse requires a JVM (maybe even a full-blown JDK), so there's no way to make it into a Chrome app. You could enable developer mode and try to install a Linux JDK since Chrome seems to be running Linux under the hood.

18. Offline

Cirno

It could take a long time, but it is possible to hack it (I'm also assuming that this is possible to begin with).

You need to enable the Developers mode.
    Prepare a USB with a Linux distro ready to install.
    Modify the MBR to point to the USB device as the first initial choice.
    Boot to the USB and install the distro.
    Install the JVM (or OpenJDK).
    congrats, it works.

This is assuming 3 things:
    1: You can enter command-line when booting
    2: You can edit the MBR within the command-line.
    3: You willing to wipe the entire OS.

19. Offline

tommycake50

although not OpenJDK its f'ing buggy.
    it took me at least a minute to figure out how to remove it from my ubuntu xD

20. Offline

Sushi

OpenJDK isn't buggy, it just doesn't have all the features of the full JDK.

21. Offline

tommycake50

maybe so but its still not as good as the normal jdk.

22. Offline

Ne0nx3r0

I think we're all missing the point here.

Christmas isn't for another 9 days, present HAX!!!

23. Offline

Sushi

The point of OpenJDK isn't to be better, it's to provide an viable OSS alternative.

24. Offline

KeybordPiano459

For anyone asking, I got it yesterday because this is the weekend that my relatives are spending christmas with us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.