Custom death messages?

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by AppleMC, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

AppleMC

Anyone know how to set custom death messages for different events? lava death, player killing player, fell?

2. Offline

CubixCoders

Listen for PlayerDeathEvent and check if event.getCause == DamageCause.LAVA or something then use
    event.setDeathMessage("");

3. Offline

AppleMC

CubixCoders Ok thanks! Bee-tee-dubs do you know how to set & color codes for chat and configuration files? Ive been trying to figure it out..

4. Offline

CubixCoders

I believe it is
    ChatColor.translateAlternateColorCodes("&", string);
    So through the config, you would just have to do this
    player.sendMessage(ChatColor.translateAlternateColorCodes("&", getConfig().getString(yourpath)));

5. Offline

david_rosales

Or u can listen for death and do this:

Code:java
    2. if(event.getDeathMessage().contains("hit the ground to hard")
    3. {
    4. event.setDeathMessage(ChatColor.DARK_GRAY + event.getEntity() + ChatColor.GRAY + " fell a very long distance");
    5. }

6. Offline

AppleMC

CubixCoders where would I put it?.. If possible can you show me a example in a whole code?... just a simple one..

david_rosales Ok thanks, if the other doesnt work, I'll always have your code xD

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2016
  7. Offline

CubixCoders

AppleMC
    2. if(cmd.getName().equalsIgnoreCase("clan")){
    3. if(args[0].equalsIgnoreCase("list")){
    4. for(String s: getConfig().getStringList("Clan.List")){
    5. sender.sendMessage(ChatColor.Blue + "The clans are: " + ChatColor.translateAlternateColorCodes("&", s));
    6. }
    7. }
    8. }

That will check if they sent "clan" as their command, then if their arg is "list", then it will get a list from the config named Clan.List and then translate the codes to them

8. Offline

AppleMC

CubixCoders I mean players chatting with & codes, and can give me whole thing starting from @EventHandler for death message please?

9. Offline

CubixCoders

2. @EventHandler
    3. public void onDeath(PlayerDeathEvent e){
    4. if(e.getDeathMessage().contains("hit the ground")){
    5. e.setDeathMessage("Whatever");
    6. }
    7. }

And for chatting
    2. @EventHandler
    3. public void onTalk(PlayerChatEvent e){
    4. e.setMessage(ChatColor.translateAlternateColorCodes("&", e.getMessage()));
    5. }

10. Offline

AppleMC

CubixCoders the color code is for ALL codes? 123456789abcdef

CubixCoders can you tell me whats wrong with this? sender is getting error
    Code:
        @EventHandler
        public void onDeath(PlayerDeathEvent e) {
            if(e.getDeathMessage().contains("hit the ground too hard")) {
                Player player = (Player) sender;
                e.setDeathMessage(ChatColor.GOLD + player.getName() + ChatColor.DARK_RED + " didn't see where he was going and fell off a cliff.")
            }
    CubixCoders and the color code is giving me error at translateAlternativeColorCodes
    Code:
        @EventHandler
        public void onTalk(PlayerChatEvent e){
            e.setMessage(ChatColor.translateAlternateColorCodes("&", e.getMessage()));
        }
    Btw how do u insert java code so it looks like that xD

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

11. Offline

CubixCoders

3. e.setMessage(ChatColor.translateAlternateColorCodes('&', e.getMessage()));

There is no sender, you have to use Player player = e.getEntity();
    And for the cool writing use (syntax=java) (/syntax) but replace () with []

12. Offline

AppleMC

@CubixCodes thanks, but im getting this thing with yellow line saying add supression and stuff for translatecodes

13. Offline

CubixCoders

It doesn't matter Go ahead and add it if you want

14. Offline

AppleMC

@CubixCodes OMG THANK YOU they all work, does color code work for configuration files? Also how would I use config file for death message? and color code &k does it to my name too, possible to change?

15. Offline

CubixCoders

just change the string you set it to, to plugin.getConfig().getString(path);

16. Offline

AppleMC

CubixCoders but if I use the & codes for message, does it show up with color ? and when i use &k, &l it changes my name too any way to stop that?

17. Offline

CubixCoders

2. @EventHandler
    3. public void onTalk(PlayerChatEvent e){
    4. e.setMessage(e.getPlayer().getDisplayName() + ChatColor.translateAlternateColorCodes("&", e.getMessage()));
    5. }

18. Offline

AppleMC

CubixCoders lets say i have config lava death: &4died from lava. does that show as DARK_RED died from lava?
    and the alternativeTranslateColor is getting error for the new one..

@CubixCodes i fixed the error but it shows my name twice when msging with color now..

19. Offline

CubixCoders

Sorry, i keep doing "&" it's '&', then if you get rid of the event.getPlayer().getDisplayName() isn't that what your old prblem was?

20. Offline

AppleMC

CubixCoders i mean it shows name but if i use &k and &l it does random / bold to my name too

21. Offline

CubixCoders

Try
    player.setDisplayName(ChatColor.WHITE + player.getDisplayName());
    But that will automatically set it to white no matter what

22. Offline

AppleMC

CubixCoders thanks :3 but the death messages arent working with config..

23. Offline

CubixCoders

You have to get the message from the config and translate the codes

24. Offline

AppleMC

CubixCoders I tried without the & codes from config but didnt work..

25. Offline

CubixCoders

Show code please

26. Offline

AppleMC

1. @EventHandler
    2. public void onDeath(PlayerDeathEvent e) {
    3. if(e.getDeathMessage().contains("hit the ground too hard")) {
    4. Player player = e.getEntity();
    5. e.setDeathMessage(ChatColor.GOLD + player.getName() + " " + ChatColor.DARK_RED + plugin.getConfig().getString("Lava death"));
    6. } else if (e.getDeathMessage().contains("drowned")) {
    7. Player player = e.getEntity();
    8. e.setDeathMessage(ChatColor.GOLD + player.getName() + " " + ChatColor.DARK_RED + plugin.getConfig().getString("Lava death"));
    9. } else if (e.getDeathMessage().contains("swim in lava")) {
    10. Player player = e.getEntity();
    11. e.setDeathMessage(ChatColor.GOLD + player.getName() + " " + ChatColor.DARK_RED + plugin.getConfig().getString("Lava death"));
    12. } else if (e.getDeathMessage().contains("struck by lightning")) {
    13. Player player = e.getEntity();
    14. e.setDeathMessage(ChatColor.GOLD + player.getName() + " " + ChatColor.DARK_RED + plugin.getConfig().getString("Lava death"));
    15. } else if (e.getDeathMessage().contains("blew up") || e.getDeathMessage().contains("blown up")) {
    16. Player player = e.getEntity();
    17. e.setDeathMessage(ChatColor.GOLD + player.getName() + " " + ChatColor.DARK_RED + plugin.getConfig().getString("Lava death"));
    18. } else if (e.getDeathMessage().contains("went up in flames") || e.getDeathMessage().contains("burned to death")) {
    19. Player player = e.getEntity();
    20. e.setDeathMessage(ChatColor.GOLD + player.getName() + " " + ChatColor.DARK_RED + plugin.getConfig().getString("Lava death"));
    21. } else if (e.getDeathMessage().contains("shot")) {
    22. Player player = e.getEntity();
    23. e.setDeathMessage(ChatColor.GOLD + player.getName() + " " + ChatColor.DARK_RED + plugin.getConfig().getString("Lava death"));
    24. } else if (e.getDeathMessage().contains("pricked to death") || e.getDeathMessage().contains("walked into a cactus")) {
    25. Player player = e.getEntity();
    26. e.setDeathMessage(ChatColor.GOLD + player.getName() + " " + ChatColor.DARK_RED + plugin.getConfig().getString("Lava death"));
    27. } else if (e.getDeathMessage().contains("falling anvil")) {
    28. Player player = e.getEntity();
    29. e.setDeathMessage(ChatColor.GOLD + player.getName() + " " + ChatColor.DARK_RED + plugin.getConfig().getString("Lava death"));
    30. } else if (e.getDeathMessage().contains("starved")) {
    31. Player player = e.getEntity();
    32. e.setDeathMessage(ChatColor.GOLD + player.getName() + " " + ChatColor.DARK_RED + plugin.getConfig().getString("Lava death"));
    33. } else if (e.getDeathMessage().contains("suffocated in")) {
    34. Player player = e.getEntity();
    35. e.setDeathMessage(ChatColor.GOLD + player.getName() + " " + ChatColor.DARK_RED + plugin.getConfig().getString("Lava death"));
    36. } else if (e.getDeathMessage().contains("was killed while trying")) {
    37. Player player = e.getEntity();
    38. e.setDeathMessage(ChatColor.GOLD + player.getName() + " " + ChatColor.DARK_RED + plugin.getConfig().getString("Lava death"));
    39. } else if (e.getDeathMessage().contains("fell out of the world")) {
    40. Player player = e.getEntity();
    41. e.setDeathMessage(ChatColor.GOLD + player.getName() + " " + ChatColor.DARK_RED + plugin.getConfig().getString("Lava death"));
    42. }

LOL first time using - fail... and do u know how to set up alias commands in plugin.yml? alias: [alias] isnt workign for me

27. Offline

CubixCoders

2. ChatColor.translateAlternateColorCodes('&', plugin.getConfig().getString("Lava death"));

28. Offline

AppleMC

CubixCoders I tried just without the & code though, chatcolor already in code and just message, it gave error... do u know how to set alias for command? i tried alias: [alias] didnt work..

29. Offline

CubixCoders

You didn't translate the codes from the config, and does the String "Lava death" exist in the config? and sorry idk about alias's D:

30. Offline

AppleMC

CubixCoders yeah i have Lava death in my config file.. :/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.