ConsoleMonitor - Send entire console output to anyone with permission

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by Uzalu, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Offline

Uzalu

As an admin of a remote server, i encounter a few problems with my server that i cannot possibly fix without access to the console and error reports. I could use a telnet console service, but Putty is not exactly user friendly, and often it times out and i have to relaunch.

This is not a post to complain about putty, i just feel that it must be possible to access console output in chat. With the new chat changes in 1.2.4 (especially chat history) i think this is very viable and could help a lot of people out.

Before i go into specifics i want to apologise if such a thing already exists, or if it has been suggested before. I have looked.

So, aside from the obvious core feature of outputting everything in console to a user with a permissions node (consolemonitor.read) for example, i have come up with a few others:
    - Omit certain lines by a complex search filter. There are plenty of things i don't want to see in chat
    - - not sure if it's possible, but omitting lines sent from a certain plugin would be adequate to replace a complex search filter
    - Customisable colours for common console fields, such as [INFO], [WARNING] etc...
    - - also of course custom colours for the text itself
    - Option to dump console output from startup to 'Done', last time the server started up. (e.g. /conmon startup)

Thanks for reading, hope to hear from someone soon!
    - uzalu

EDIT: Butchered a sentence.

2. Sorry to say that, but if you can't administrate your server (and if a SSH connection times out "and often times out and it times out and i have to relaunch." ) you should think about
    1. Not run a server at all (best option) or
    2. Pay somebody who's trustable and knows what he's doing to administrate your server.

There are many more things running at a server than just MC/bukkit... And if that small part is to much for you... :/

Sure it's possible to filter the console output and bring it to you at a silver tablet, but that's nothing a plugin should even think of doing, cause all it would help to is running more and more insecure servers...

And to your statement: "This is not a post to complain about putty" sure it's not... PuTTY is just another SSH/Telnet client... And if you don't even know what SSH (or Telnet, but if the server has Telnet access... Well... That's another story) is...

3. Offline

Codisimus

You may want to check out my plugin TextPlayer. It allows you to send commands to the console through text message. You can receive different types of alerts to your phone as well. I will be adding the possibility of receiving alerts when specific things are printed to the console if that is even possible.

4. Offline

Uzalu

You've either completely misunderstood the issue or are deliberately trolling. I'll explain again and denounce your points.

I'm just fine administrating my server, i run a well made server that i created locally. I just want it to be a bit easier. I think it's painfully obvious that what i wanted was simple, and must be possible.

I don't care if it decreases security by 1%. As long as the permissions plugin keeps working as it always has, no-one else will ever see console output.

there is a plugin called MCTelnet that allows telnet access to a server console. It's insanely out of date, i'm pretty sure the bukkit release for minecraft 1.2 broke it. That means i've basically run out of ways to access the console.

as you've said, it's possible. Plugins are designed to bring people things on 'silver tablets', as you so eloquently put it, so what's the problem?

I'm interested to know just how else you would fix this problem? I'm running windows and so is my host.. what did you have in mind when you told me to pay someone to administrate it? (a stupid idea, by the way.)

-uzalu

I appreciate the thought, but that's not what I'm after. I might have a look when you add the alerts from console.

-uzalu

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2016
  5. 1. Problem: Windows. Go get a linux server, then start your MC server within a screen session. It's not only much better handling but also faster, more stable and more secure.
    2. Install a SSH server and use it for your server (for example to attach to the screen session) or install one of the million web administrating things.
    I know that it's a stupid idea, but better than running a server without really knowing what you do.

6. Offline

Uzalu

well, that was a much more helpful comment.

1. It is a linux server, i was wondering what you would say if i told you it was windows. I'm new to linux, and don't have much time to learn it, but i'll give it a go.
    2. see 1.

as for web-admin, i can access the console via my host already, that's not what i'm after.

I know what to do, i hosted a local server for months, and saw the console output. I only suggested this plugin because i thought it was a better and easier way to do it. I was surprised it didn't exist already.

-uzalu

7. Offline

Codisimus

no worries, just thought I would throw it out there. I will let you know when I get the alerts from the console working.

8. So why do you run it?

Sorry if it may feel rude to you, but if you're new driving a car and don't have much time to learn it, would you drive a truck at a highway?

//EDIT: And the state that you hosted a local server for month doesn't tell anything. A local server (behind a router) that runs for (a few?) month isn't really known but a real server that grows and grows in public view will sooner or later attract crackers. That's what I meaned with "There are many more things running at a server than just MC/bukkit..."

9. Offline

Uzalu

the reason i run linux is a deeper issue than just 'cos i can'. One that i'm not going into here, but suffice to say, i'm running linux. Your analogy doesn't make sense because the car surely represents linux? what's the difference between that and the truck? SUPERLINUX? :D

I mentioned the local server in order to once again give you the impression that i know what i'm doing in terms of the server itself, linux is seperate issue. You are creating a straw man argument.

With all that said, this post has stopped being a request for a new plugin that could potentially help a lot of people, it's an inquisition by you into my eligibility as a server admin. That's not a conversation that interests me.

-uzalu

10. [quote uid=54539 name="Uzalu" post=1081747]Your analogy doesn't make sense because the car surely represents linux? what's the difference between that and the truck? SUPERLINUX? :D[/quote]
    Lol... No, surely not. But would you even drive a car without a driving instructor if you are new to driving a car?
    You show that you don't know what you are doing, so I go deeper and... See that you really don't know. :/
    No, that kind of plugin couldn't help a lot of people, cause once again: People who now how to administrate a server know how to access the log at any time they need to. Having it in-game is just some kind of stupid laziness... What if you're offline while something bad occurs in the log?

But well, just to bring that to a end: <Edit by Moderator: Redacted mediafire url>

Be happy with it and don't cry if your server will ever get hacked and if you'll get sued for the actions the guys are doing with it...

//EDIT: And the source: http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/co...-under-50-challenge.33264/page-8#post-1081851

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2016
  11. Offline

Uzalu

[quote uid=92350 name="V10lator" post=1081846]Lol... No, surely not. But would you even drive a car without a driving instructor if you are new to driving a car?

You show that you don't know what you are doing, so I go deeper and... See that you really don't know. :/

No, that kind of plugin couldn't help a lot of people, cause once again: People who now how to administrate a server know how to access the log at any time they need to. Having it in-game is just some kind of stupid laziness... What if you're offline while something bad occurs in the log?

But well, just to bring that to a end: <Edit by Moderator: Redacted mediafire url>

Be happy with it and don't cry if your server will ever get hacked and if you'll get sued for the actions the guys are doing with it...

//EDIT: And the source: http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/co...-under-50-challenge.33264/page-8#post-1081851[/quote]

very kind of you to take the time to put it together. I still disagree with your position, a lack of understanding of linux does not equal a lack of understanding of a minecraft server. It's not even a sufficient condition. I only wanted it to see errors as they occured, i can always access a static version of the log.

The concerns you have raised about security are probably perfectly valid. I didn't ever NEED this plugin, but i thought it would already exist, since it didn't, i suggested it.

I'm not sure how you got from 'hackers might be able to gain access to the console output' to 'you will be sued by people'. How do they damage the host machine with a plugin that reads console output?

Either way, thanks for the plugin, and i don't expect any support.

-uzalu

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2016