Community-Sourced Plugin Dev - Looking for Takers!

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by NathanWolf, Apr 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

NathanWolf

Hello,
    You may or may not know me- I have (had?) some fans at one point, but I haven't been around much lately.

It's looking like my time for Bukkit/Minecraft is going to be minimal in the future- a few hours one day a week, at best.

As soon as I wrap up what I'm working on immediately and get Magic released, I'd like to "open source" all of the code. Beyond just sharing the code (which I already do), I'm going to start a group on github that will now own all of my Bukkit source code.

I welcome anyone to join this group as a contributor- PM me here or on github if you're interested.

Thanks for your attention! :)

2. Offline

nossr50

Welcome to the Open Source club [pig]

3. Offline

eisental

Opening a public group repository is not the same as using github to store your private projects. I think he means that anybody who joins the group can just push changes without waiting for him to pull it.

4. Offline

Don Redhorse

damm another good coder who falls away..

this is what I hate about opensource and bukkit... you (which means the admins) rely to much on single persons to supply stuff which is needed..

I don't blame you or anbody doing a great job here = every developer...

but I would rather see people working together on one plugin and trying to fork all over the place or creating the same feature again... and I would like to see some feature implemented as core..

sorry to see you go wolf, I liked your plugins and threads, but I think you know where your priorities are

NathanWolf likes this.
  5. Offline

Codex Arcanum

Well, I'm sorry to hear you're leaving, if that's the right word, but I'd like to thank you for deciding to finish Magic first. I'd like to join the previous poster in saying thank you for your excellent plugins, and wish you luck with whatever you're doing instead.

NathanWolf likes this.
  6. Offline

NathanWolf

Right.

Nah! I'm hoping to stick around, but basically I just don't have time to run all this myself. I can barely keep up with the forums, and I almost never have time for coding anymore.

Agree! That's the idea, here. There's no reason why my code can't become a secondary community-driven framework for Bukkit. The Persistence plugin needs to be re-tooled to use the new built-in persistence engine (an off-the-shelf product recently chosen by the Bukkti team), but there is still a lot of useful functionality in there that can get devs going with plugins.

As for my "real" plugins- Magic (Spells/Wand), Wandmin, NetherGate, CrowdControl- I completely agree with your second statement as well. I'd like for anyone interested in these sorts of plugins to be able to contribute directly, instead of feeling like they have to go off and make their own similar plugin just because I don't do something quite the way they'd like. :)

This will be an interesting experiment for me, if nothing else. I'm really hoping my code lives on in some form- it will be a very slow progression, though, if I'm the only one in there. And, of course, I'm hoping nobody comes in and jacks the place up- but I'll be keeping a close enough eye on things to keep that from happening, I hope.

Well, basically, priorities are always going to be about paying bills :) [creeper]

If you're interested, I recently got a new job with [torch] Spooky Cool Labs[torch]

We'll be making mobile and social games, starting with Facebook. Feel free to friend me there if you want- same avatar (my new one, not my MC blockhead), my real name is Nathan Wolf.

Anyway, I'm the lead backend architect there, a Really Big Deal for me. It also means I'll be doing a lot of the same kind of stuff that I've been doing around here, code-wise- so I really don't have time to do it all twice, basically.

But, I do love this community, and I love MC and Bukkit- I hope to be a reasonably active member here for the duration :D

See above :)

Also, I guess I should/could mention that there is a lot of contact info available in my avatar, if you're geeky enough to find it. Feel free to keep in touch should I vanish around here- though I'm hoping that won't happen [skeleton]

EDIT: Ah, maybe not- I'm not sure that Gravatar lets you see that thing high-res enough to QR scan it. Let me know if you find a way :)

I guess worth noting is that I've always been open source. Nobody's ever tried to submit a pull request, but I certainly would have been open to accepting one :)

Hey, WinSock and FrozenCow- FYI, you're both already "elBukkit devs" on github.

@WinSock, I figured you may want to take over CrowdControl, or integrate it with MobControl like we'd always talked, or just steal whatever is in there you don't have and we can kill it [creeper]

@FrozenCow- you're just awesome, so I'm hoping you'll play around in there [sheep]

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2016
  7. Offline

Archelaus

I'm a taker, if that's OK.

8. Offline

NathanWolf

I'm going on a "helpful until proven otherwise" approach- so it's always OK :)

You've been added- if you're familiar with organizations on github, have at it. I'm hoping to release everything but Magic soon, built from the new org repo. Magic is going to take a little more time to get up and running, but I can't keep holding up everything else on it.

THARIFIXEDIT

Is "community sourced" more appropriate? :p

So, all of my plugins save Magic are released from the elBukkit code. I've moved all of the info to the Bukkit wiki- forum OPs are now skeletal, since there's no way to "crowd source" that, and I kind of hate these forums anyway to be honest.

Anything else the group can think of to make sharing this stuff (responsibility-wise as well as intellect-wise) easier, we can chat in github :D

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2016
  9. Offline

Don Redhorse

looks interesting ;-)

Have fun and a good start..

NathanWolf likes this.
  10. Offline

anon

Its sad to see a plugin as good as this die in oblivion. Specially when there is no plugin that offers similar functionality.

11. Offline

NathanWolf

Thanks! It's an exciting industry...

If you're talking about Magic, it's just kind of on hold, for a long time :)

In the meantime, I brought the Spells and Wand plugins back up to date (and gave them their own repos on github), so the elBukkit devs can feel free to jump in there if they want. I still want to finish Magic, but to take the pressure off I'll try (as best I can) to keep Spells/Wand up to date.

Also, NetherGate works. CrowdControl may or may not- it builds, it runs without error, but I have not tested it. I merged my fixes in with @WinSock's EBeans update, but I have not tested that at all.

Nothing's dead, and Wand/Spells are still a great replacement for Magic :) Though I know we're all still waiting for that reagents/MP/cooldown system. :\

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.