[Code Snippet] Workaround for the new Bukkit.getOnlinePlayers() method

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by caseif, Jun 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Garris0n

...so? Developers have to update their code. Would you like to explain how the code you've posted makes it so developers don't have to update their code, because I'm not following.

If we're talking about performance issues, the method no longer has to clone an array every time it's called. There shouldn't be any concurrent modification unless somebody does something stupid.

desht and xize like this.
  2. Offline

caseif

For the last time, the point isn't to exempt devs from updating, it's for the sake of reverse compatibility. It's nice to be able to support two versions of Minecraft at once, which is impossible when compiling against newer Bukkit builds (and please don't go on about how that breaks reverse compatibility anyway, because it doesn't necessarily).

3. Offline

Garris0n

Well, neither does this. Necessarily.

4. Offline

fireblast709

I guess we got to the point where it is clear why this exists. It is general knowledge that you should go with the plugin version that conforms with the version of Bukkit you are running.

5. Offline

xTrollxDudex

This is not the correct way to implement backwards compatibility.

Correct way:
    PHP:
    public int implPlayerCount() {

Object playerCollection Bukkit.getServer().getPlayers();

if (
    playerCollection instaceof Collection) return ((CollectionplayerCollection).size();
        else return ((
    Player[]) playerCollection).length;
    }
    We leave Collection non-typesafe since we never know when <? extends Player> might become <Player>
    We could use <?> however not all objects types have to extend java.lang.Object...

6. Offline

SpaceManiac

That doesn't actually work because the compiled bytecode still says "give me the method getOnlinePlayers that takes no arguments and returns a Collection", which won't exist on older versions, back to the original problem.

1mpre55 likes this.
  7. Offline

xTrollxDudex

SpaceManiac
    My question is, have you actually seen the compiled bytecode for such code?

Here, I'll link you to some representative code:
    http://ideone.com/fC0tqz

By the way, since I'm lazy, I just put in the raw value as an Object parameter to getCount and let the compiler typecast for me.

Edit: Also, both print out the value of 2, our expected answer.

xTigerRebornx likes this.
  8. Offline

SpaceManiac

Code:
    Code:
    import org.bukkit.Bukkit;
    import org.bukkit.entity.Player;
    import java.util.Collection;

public class Players {
        public int implPlayerCount() {
            Object playerCollection = Bukkit.getOnlinePlayers();
            if (playerCollection instanceof Collection) return ((Collection) playerCollection).size();
            else return ((Player[]) playerCollection).length;
        }
    }

Bytecode: (lines with "-" are compiled on old version, lines with "+" are compiled on new version, lines without are the same on both)
    Code:
    public class Players
      SourceFile: "Players.java"
      minor version: 0
      major version: 51
      flags: ACC_PUBLIC, ACC_SUPER
    Constant pool:
        #1 = Methodref          #7.#18        //  java/lang/Object."<init>":()V
    -  #2 = Methodref          #19.#20        //  org/bukkit/Bukkit.getOnlinePlayers:()[Lorg/bukkit/entity/Player;
    +  #2 = Methodref          #19.#20        //  org/bukkit/Bukkit.getOnlinePlayers:()Ljava/util/Collection;
        #3 = Class              #21            //  java/util/Collection
        #4 = InterfaceMethodref #3.#22        //  java/util/Collection.size:()I
        #5 = Class              #23            //  "[Lorg/bukkit/entity/Player;"
        #6 = Class              #24            //  Players
        #7 = Class              #25            //  java/lang/Object
        #8 = Utf8              <init>
        #9 = Utf8              ()V
      #10 = Utf8              Code
      #11 = Utf8              LineNumberTable
      #12 = Utf8              implPlayerCount
      #13 = Utf8              ()I
      #14 = Utf8              StackMapTable
      #15 = Class              #25            //  java/lang/Object
      #16 = Utf8              SourceFile
      #17 = Utf8              Players.java
      #18 = NameAndType        #8:#9          //  "<init>":()V
      #19 = Class              #26            //  org/bukkit/Bukkit
    -  #20 = NameAndType        #27:#28        //  getOnlinePlayers:()[Lorg/bukkit/entity/Player;
    +  #20 = NameAndType        #27:#28        //  getOnlinePlayers:()Ljava/util/Collection;
      #21 = Utf8              java/util/Collection
      #22 = NameAndType        #29:#13        //  size:()I
      #23 = Utf8              [Lorg/bukkit/entity/Player;
      #24 = Utf8              Players
      #25 = Utf8              java/lang/Object
      #26 = Utf8              org/bukkit/Bukkit
      #27 = Utf8              getOnlinePlayers
    -  #28 = Utf8              ()[Lorg/bukkit/entity/Player;
    +  #28 = Utf8              ()Ljava/util/Collection;
      #29 = Utf8              size
    {
      public Players();
        flags: ACC_PUBLIC
        Code:
          stack=1, locals=1, args_size=1
              0: aload_0
              1: invokespecial #1                  // Method java/lang/Object."<init>":()V
              4: return
          LineNumberTable:
            line 5: 0

public int implPlayerCount();
        flags: ACC_PUBLIC
        Code:
          stack=1, locals=2, args_size=1
    -        0: invokestatic  #2                  // Method org/bukkit/Bukkit.getOnlinePlayers:()[Lorg/bukkit/entity/Player;
    +        0: invokestatic  #2                  // Method org/bukkit/Bukkit.getOnlinePlayers:()Ljava/util/Collection;
              3: astore_1
              4: aload_1
              5: instanceof    #3                  // class java/util/Collection
              8: ifeq          21
            11: aload_1
            12: checkcast    #3                  // class java/util/Collection
            15: invokeinterface #4,  1            // InterfaceMethod java/util/Collection.size:()I
            20: ireturn
            21: aload_1
            22: checkcast    #5                  // class "[Lorg/bukkit/entity/Player;"
            25: checkcast    #5                  // class "[Lorg/bukkit/entity/Player;"
            28: arraylength
            29: ireturn
          LineNumberTable:
            line 7: 0
            line 8: 4
            line 9: 21
          StackMapTable: number_of_entries = 1
                frame_type = 252 /* append */
                  offset_delta = 21
            locals = [ class java/lang/Object ]

}

As you can see, when compiled against the old version, the old method is called, and when compiled against the new version, the new method is called. Nothing has been accomplished. My recommendation is to simply build against the oldest Bukkit version you intend to support.

1mpre55 likes this.
  9. Offline

xize

SpaceManiac
    Ive had this issue in java 6, I thought byte code wasn't the issue but it is D: it still throws an NoSuchMethodException even with using instanceof and Object, I was trying to write a wrapper what mimics an collection but also an normal Array but the thing is whenever the Bukkit.getOnlinePlayers() is compiled with the latest version it indeed expects a collection even when lowering the bukkit version:p, but I didn't know is it true a higher java version can ignore that?

10. Offline

fireblast709

xTrollxDudex NoSuchMethodError for you sir
    Code:
    [14:26:01 ERROR]: Error occurred while enabling B vbroken (Is it up to date?)
    java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: a.A.getOnlinePlayers()[Lorg/bukkit/entity/Player;
        at b.B.implPlayerCount(B.java:22) ~[?:?]
        at b.B.onEnable(B.java:17) ~[?:?]
        at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPlugin.setEnabled(JavaPlugin.java:250)
        at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPluginLoader.enablePlugin(JavaPluginLoader.java:324)
        at org.bukkit.plugin.SimplePluginManager.enablePlugin(SimplePluginManager.java:405)
        at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.v1_7_R3.CraftServer.loadPlugin(CraftServer.java:467)
        at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.v1_7_R3.CraftServer.enablePlugins(CraftServer.java:385)
        at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R3.MinecraftServer.n(MinecraftServer.java:359)
        at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R3.MinecraftServer.g(MinecraftServer.java:333)
        at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R3.MinecraftServer.a(MinecraftServer.java:289)
        at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R3.DedicatedServer.init(DedicatedServer.java:193)
        at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R3.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:450)
        at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R3.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:628)
    B was build while A.getOnlinePlayers() returned a Player[]. Then I changed A to return a Collection<? extends Player>, rebuild, dumped both in my localhost server and ran it.

11. Offline

RawCode

i already stated - you must have classes compiled for each version and factory to give class for valid version.

also you can assemble bytecode yourself - method return is not part of signature and can be omitted.

12. Offline

xTrollxDudex

13. Offline

RawCode

xTrollxDudex
    JAVA feature large amount of compile time checks and safety measures.
    All these checks can be ignored with direct bytecode manipulation.

xTrollxDudex likes this.
  14. Offline

NathanWolf

Sorry to dredge up a semi-old thread and maybe sound a little impertinent, but...

I don't think we'd all be as concerned with backwards compatibility if it hadn't been *8 months* since the latest RB.

It's really hard to hear that we "shouldn't" make a plugin that can be backwards and forwards compatible, when many server admins aren't willing to update to a dev or beta build. I like my plugin to support the latest RB, but I also want to support the newest CraftBukkit version for the admins that would prefer people not have to downgrade clients to play. This is becoming harder and harder, and I could see how changes like this would make it nearly impossible.

Personally I'm not using getOnlinePlayers so this particular change isn't an issue to me, but on a general note I think that breaking API changes should be avoided unless there's a recent RB we can build against. I understand and appreciate the challenges the Bukkit team faces, especially with the recent pace of Mojang development- but if the API itself could stay consistent between major versions, that'd help us out a lot- I think?

At this point it feels like we may not ever see an RB for 1.7 - but couldn't changes like this wait for the switchover to 1.8 dev, perhaps?

1mpre55 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.