Chunk-Gen Mod

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by stargateanubis14, Jul 29, 2011.

1. I'm looking for a mod that will change the way chunks are generated.

For me, i just need a mod that will generate a normal map, just without any grass, or leaf blocks (basically, a barren wasteland). All the grass would just need to be dirt.

Of course, the ability to toggle any other modifications of generation would be nice.

I guess the best thing to call this would be a 'custom seed' mod.

Is this already done?
    Is this even possible through a bukkit mod?

[---side note/story, useless blabber---]

So far, the only other option i can see, is to generate the entire map manually, and then going through and either replacing the blocks with worldedit, or MCedit, and re-uploading the world... the problem with that is, i fear attempting to do a 5000 block radius world would over-tax world edit, and even then, if any grass remains, it would be too dangerous to let it spread (possible glitches)... and with MCedit, it would take forever to re-upload the map.

I figure the quickest and simplest way is a generation modification

[/---side note/story, useless blabber---]

2. Offline

codename_B

How about a custom WGEN? There's a couple out there that would fit your needs - if not - I can get you one built

3. *facepalm* didn't even know these existed :p

But now i'm having trouble finding just that simple of a gen... still want random seed... just no natural spawning grass or leaves (still need the tree trunks :p ) All the ones i see dont have configuration i'm lookin for :/ (short of the hight-mapping, which is not random enough for my tastses, especially if i want to create multiple world scenarios)

I'm lookin for an outcome, sorta like this::
    [​IMG]

Leaves and grass removed... no other changes. the ONLY other thing i may chose to do, is shrink some of the ocean sizes, and replace it with partial gravel oceans, and some lava lakes... more apocalyptic in style.

Its not an immediate necessity, i'm planning on doing a special map after the adventure update, closer to this November/December (once my schedule opens up). I'm just doin my research and organizing now :)
    This type of map style would greatly help.

4. Offline

codename_B

I'll put it on the to-do list. Join us on irc.esper.net #bananacode to check on the progress!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/wg...e-end-of-the-world-as-you-know-it-1000.28798/

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2016
  5. sorry for being nub in the ways of WGEN's, but how do they work? do they just repeat a section over and over? (eg, my map is 10,000x10,000 in dimensions... not quite sure if a repeated image would quite do it :p )

If you dont wanna answer the question, you dont have to... i'll try to find info somewhere else (I already plan on playing around with multiple wgens to get a feel for em)
    Also, with the one you linked me to, its not really a randomized map, like i'm going for..
    eg, the mossy cobble that occurs en-mass, completely throws off the economy of the server.
    The occasional cobble is ok, i guess, but i'm looking for a more random map effect that the seed provides...just without grass/leaves :p

6. Offline

codename_B

No, WGENs generate terrain the same way notch does generally (unless they're a specific WGEN plugin designed to generate from images)

My plugin uses a combination of Simplex Octaves and Perlin Octaves to generate the terrain.

I can do you a custom build pretty easily - what is it you wanted? Every single chunk will be unique and apocalyptic with my WGEN there - if you want mossy cobblestone removed - I can do that for you.

7. i just want a normal map, that would be typically generated... just no leaves, and all grass changed to dirt. Not much else changed in the map.

The map that was live (on that topic), i logged on, and explored, and it didn't seem like a typical map. It had mounds of solid stone, instead of dirt hills, and the tree's were only in the valley's, etc etc... Not saying it wasn't a good map (i already thought of a few diff ways to possibly use it), but it just wan't what i was looking for..... now, if the map that is live isnt' the one you're talkin about, then i feel like an idiot -_-

8. Offline

codename_B

No, that is the map I'm talking about.

There's currently no-one who's copied the notchcode that is used to generate and converted it to use craftbukkit gen (what'd be the point?) but if anyone ever does (it won't be me) they'll be able to do this for you.

As it is - you're going to be stuck using a custom WGEN - or alternatively build the whole thing yourself using worldedit.

As it is - you inspired me to do an apocalytic WGEN plugin - so thankyou :)

9. Hahaha... kewl :D
    I guess that sort of answers the question then... i'd need to find someone who would, for some reason, spend time and effort to copy notch's gen code, to remove 2 blocks from it, which as you said, is basically pointless for anything other than this, and i doubt anyone would do it.

My best bet will probably be section-by-section editing for the map...next step... disable grass spread :p (and learn more about wgens...:D )