Can't open server.log... 3.7Gb

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Matt Gill, Aug 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Matt Gill

Well I was told there was someone on the server spamming for awhile today. So I went to open my server.log (which I never have the need to) and it ended up being 3.7Gb in size. It took awhile to get working, for some reason GEdit (linux) wouldn't load it due to some character encoding or something, I changed the setting to Western or something and it loaded up.

So it begins loading this very slowly and the first section is from like 7/2... about halfway through it just crashes. Maybe a file size limit? Or just something wrong with it.

Anyway getting around this?

2. Offline

Sh8kezula

Stop the server.. Rename the file.. have the server start a new one...

Not sure how you can view it if its not opening.. But if you have the server start a new one ..... you will be able to at least view new logs.

3. Offline

Matt Gill

Well I need to view the log from earlier today.

4. Offline

Sh8kezula

what are you opening it with? notepad? try opening it with Word or something more powerful..

3.7 gigs is huge for a txt file... Never had one this big before.

5. Offline

Matt Gill

I said I'm using GEdit. The Default text editor for Ubuntu. I tried SciTE Text Editor, but it wouldn't open it at all.

6. Offline

Sh8kezula

7. Offline

Matt Gill

That is not my problem. I've got it to open, but halfway through loading it it crashes. I'll take some screenshots and upload in a moment.

So when I initially open it I get this:

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

Then I do this and hit retry:

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

So it then opens and I see this:

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

And it just suddenly stops at about here (in between the red marks, I forgot to take a screenshot once it got this far):

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

It took a about 5-8 minutes to get that far.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.