"Cant connect to server" UBUNTU

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by pablo67340, Jul 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

pablo67340

Hi, i am hosting a tekkit server on my ubuntu VPS. for some reason the server starts perfectly and DOESNT say "failed to bind to port" infact it starts very fast and perfectly. BUT, when i try to connect i cant connect to server. PLEASE HELP!

2. Offline

MegaNarwhal

Is it running a firewall? If so, you'll have to make an exception for port 25565. Also, make sure server-ip in server.properties is left blank.

3. Offline

pablo67340

its blank and im not sure the commands to add an exception to my firewall. wouldnt it say couldnt bind to port though? Please help

EDIT: Im also using iptables.

4. Offline

Taketheword

You need to port forward your server port. Ports are used locally on the computer when you start the server. It can bind to the port perfectly, but in order for someone outside of that network to connect to the server, it has to be forwarded. You can google port forwarding for numerous guides on it.

5. Offline

MegaNarwhal

This page can help you with iptables. It wouldn't say that it can't bind to the port because it is able to bind, however network traffic to the server from outside sources can't reach it due to iptables. For easier management and better security, I recommend installing a software firewall such as CSF.

Taketheword On VPS, most ports are normally already forwarded, especially if you have a dedicated IP.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2016
  6. Offline

pablo67340

so would i do:
    sudo iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 25565 -j ACCEPT
    sudo iptables -A INPUT -p udp --dport 25565 -j ACCEPT

??

7. Offline

TnT

Try reading the stickies on this forum, however, you should be seeking help from Tekkit for your issues running their server.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.