Cactus/Reed Farm prevention [MECH]

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by silentdojo, May 20, 2011.

1. Offline

silentdojo

Lots of lag can be created by users making huge automatic cactus/reed farms. If you don't know what I mean here are some examples:

Cactus Farms
    • Plant a 50 x 50 cactus area. (Bigger/Smaller depends on hardware)
    • Blocks are placed directly above cacti where they drop a cactus block when growth reaches the floating block.
    • Collection of all falling blocks using water group the items in one spot.
    • This caused massive amounts of lag when the chunks were loaded.
    Reed Farms
    • Mostly same as above.
    • Commonly harvested by planting/replanting large areas of land.
    • Placed in such a way where rows of water would flow over fully grown reeds.
    • All reeds would break and be collected by the running water in one spot.
    • Also causing large amounts of lag.
    Prevention
    My skills for java are non existent. I would guess preventing the cactus drop by anything other than an item or fist would be an easy fix.
    The reed farm would have to all water to flow pass reed blocks or just stop them. I am unsure if reeds drop the same way cacti blocks do. Any help on this would be appreciated. Or just a simple point in the right direction if this is already released or in progress. I have search and have been an active part of the community for a while now. I think many other servers are in need of this.

2. Offline

insanj

Seems like a cool idea, but is pretty impractical in the coding sense.
    I'll look into it this weekend, feel free to reply every once and a while, and I'll give you a quick status update on what I've determined. For now, though, I'm going to sleep. :p