Books (Duplicating & Kits)

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by tommygoesha, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Offline

tommygoesha

As ive known many people are looking for this kind of plugin. I thought i could ask for a plugin writer to give it a shot, i have a few tricks ive read about that could maybe help a plugin dev do so.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1189266-books-guide-tips-and-hacks/

Multiplayer server & editing books. Quoted.
    Show Spoiler
    For multiplayer servers, if you are the admin, you should open a player file and edit that instead. Player files are in the "players" directory of your server's world folder. When opened, the player file will contain an "Inventory" entry at the top level - from this point, you can continue from Step 5 above. Note that the player should be logged out when you are editing their inventory!

The "tag" entry of a book has the following contents:
    • "pages", a list of Strings.
      • Any number of untitled String entries
    • "author", a String entry which only exists for signed books.
    • "title", a String entry which only exists for signed books.

Using level.dat\player.dat file to dup books. Quoted.
    Show Spoiler
    Club559 came up with a method for duplicating books, Change the "Count" value for the book you wish to duplicate. Change it to the number of books you want. Ingame, the book will now be a stack with that many books, and you can split with right-clicking as normal. Each copy will have the full contents of the book!

Goal:
    The way is see the community using this, is that there is a way to take duplicated books or atleast the data id of the book thats to be duped and put it into a kit, this will allow MANY servers to have a guide\introduction to the server with a book right in the players inventory or for multiplayer adventure maps or something :eek:.
    Addition features?
    Show Spoiler

Later on since i dont believe its doable right now, formating and adding new texts fonts and such may be able to be put in like /textbook italic or something and type in italic.
    also maybe /textbook emptyline
    since you cant double enter.
    example ( you cant do this):
    "this is paragraph 1

this is paragraph 2"

If anyone is interested let me know, itd be great to see it come to life and if its undoable currently then also please let me know :p
    Thank you!​
    -Tommygoesha.​
    Vektor Production Manager and Sponsorshop CoOrdinator.​

Refrence page:
    http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1189266-books-guide-tips-and-hacks/

2. Offline

fredghostkyle1

there is a plugin like this in devilment here

3. Offline

hawkfalcon

Devilment? :O

WarmakerT likes this.
  4. Offline

fredghostkyle1

lol i can't spell :/

5. Offline

Nebual

I have a plugin that lets you duplicate books/maps via a recipe http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/maplicate/ though thats not quite kit integration.

To any plugin author looking to do more, note that unlike maps books pages are actually stored in the item's "tag" itself, not in a seperate file + id system. Books can be easily copied in java via itemStack.clone() but that might be the extent of what we can do until bukkit finishes the custom API for book modifying.

6. Offline

Deathmarine

Object.clone()? Sounds easy enough.

Edit: More difficult, considering how bukkit creates they're itemstacks.

7. Offline

tommygoesha

whatever would get done soonest would be nice :D

8. Offline

devilquak

I'm doing whatnow?

9. Offline

ravand

Also searching for kits!

10. Offline

Stevensaurus

This has been requested many times, but this is by far the best thread.

If a written book can be put into an Essentials kit somehow, many people (including me) would be eternally grateful.

11. Offline

tommygoesha

And since the other plugin is in development, i dont see it coming anytime soon as the author is also working on 2-3 other plugins. so any temporary plugin would be nice :)

12. Offline

codename_B

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2016
    tommygoesha likes this.
  13. Offline

tommygoesha

14. Offline

codename_B

Heh, right you are about a hassle getting it presentable in-game, but such is the way of things!
    At least it's there, mine FORCES them to open the book, rather than the other one (RuleBook) which just gives them the book - so maybe RuleBook can take something from that? :)

15. Offline

tommygoesha

im no plugin developer, but is there anyway to maybe write a book.. have the contents that are in it be stored away and then basically automatically put into the config so it looks good, then itll run what yours does by giving them a "copy"?

16. Offline

codename_B

You mean like the /saverules command I just added for ya? :p

17. Offline

Deathmarine

True Yaml is a punctuation nightmare. lulz, hmm... RuleBook might have to add more events and commands. :) but whats the point of having two that serve the exact same purpose. We might just have to collaborate something.

SimpleBookClone
    Duplicates books.

Source:
    https://github.com/deathmarine/SimpleBookClone
    Download:
    https://github.com/downloads/deathmarine/SimpleBookClone/SimpleBookClone.jar
    Command:
    /clone - Duplicates books and only books.
    node: simplebookclone.use

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2016
  18. Offline

codename_B

I like the sound of that ;)

19. Offline

tommygoesha

i also have a plugin for this already, named PrintingPress, you type /copybook and if you have 1 book+feather+ink sac itll make a duplicated book.

Im sorry if im a real buzzkill im just trying to help >.<!

just in the end i would like a player to join the server and immediatly have a book thats a guide on how to play (how to claim their own land and rules in pvp and such.) also maybe with a lil welcoming message too. (and to remind them to read the rules on the forums cause thats how theyll find the code to rank up)

codename_B im not sure if your /saverules command does that? if so thats awesome, just i would like to be able to add the bold text and italic text and such from the tricks from this link http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1189266-books-guide-tips-and-hacks/ to make it seem more presentable. If itll allow me to save a book like that i will be eternally grateful as would many people :D

20. Offline

codename_B

You can add the "special characters" to the yaml file after saving the book in the format you like.