Block Lag Issues

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by JoshArgent, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

JoshArgent

Hi,

I've been running my server for a while but recently I've noticed that when breaking a block, particually stone, the block will disappear, reappear and then finally break as it should do. All this happens quite quickly but when mining or digging large quantities of material it gets quite noticable and frustrating.

The odd thing is that this still happens when the server is close to empty, which leads me to believe it's a bukkit issue - not a server issue.

My server spec:
    2gb RAM
    Linux

CraftBukkit version git-Bukkit-1.4.6-R0.1-22-gcdb3b44-b2577jnks (MC: 1.4.6) (Implementing API version 1.4.6-R0.2-SNAPSHOT) - I'm yet to update to the next beta build

Plugins: ChestRestock, GetInventory, WorldEdit, JustWarp, WarpSigns, VanishNoPacket, Lockette, NicePM (chat plugin I made), PermissionsEx, MultiverseCore, VanillaWorld (server plugin I made, doesn't do much on the block break event except announce diamond finds), TimedMessages, Votifier, WorldGuard, Multiverse-NetherPortals.

Thanks in advance,
    Josh.

I've updated to the latest beta build and the bug is still present.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2016
  2. Offline

XD 3VIL M0NKEY

Is your server Hosted? Try to install this plugin. http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/lagmeter/
    If you type /lm it will display the current TPS and RAM usage in a fairly accurate 'chart'
    If your server is running around 15TPS you'll start getting Block lag

3. Offline

JoshArgent

I tried it and it said I was running at 20TPS! That's odd because it's 2gb ram and only 14 people were online. What can I do to reduce it?

4. Offline

XD 3VIL M0NKEY

5. Offline

JoshArgent

It's hosted by a company called PickleHosting.com, they've been pretty reliable up till now. I'm not really aware of what internet speed they have, I could probably find out.

6. Offline

XD 3VIL M0NKEY

I see, They don't look very reliable. I've found 7 bugs in the site.
    If you want a decent host, Try HostHorde.com It's a little more expensive (29.95) but it gets you unlimited slots, Unlimited RAM, unlimited disk space (SSD) and unlimited bandwidth.

Another cause to your problem may be RAMDISK. Is that set up to load the world? if it's not and you want to stay with PickleHosting, send them a ticket or something. RAMDISK stores data about the world in the RAM, If you are on a regular HDD and not SSD drives, the HDD has to do all the world saves and changes, A HDD had a physical magnetic arm and disc and is a lot slower. I recommend trying to get RAMDISK up and running.

7. Offline

JoshArgent

They may not look reliable and the name is a little tacky but they are surprisingly reliable and very helpful.

I do like the sound of HostHorde but I simply don't have the funding for that package.

Thinking about it the problem is likely that my world file is too big. You see every player gets teleported to their own chunk 100,000's of blocks away from each other. This makes the world about 10gb big, I always have to cut back on it by deleting old region files. That is probably why it's so big. Would a RAMDISK os SSD help with this?

8. Offline

XD 3VIL M0NKEY

RAMDISK would help this, But to be successful. You'd need more than 10 GB RAM. So unless you can afford that :p I would try to get your hands on a host with SSD drives. That's unfortunately your only option in the lines of hosting. You could lower the amount of blocks the players get TP'ed to, Possibly to 1000? That's still a HUGE area.

9. Offline

JoshArgent

Thanks for your help,

I think I'll enquire at Picke Hosting to see if they offer any SSD's. If not I might have to look elsewhere but I'm reluctant to do so because we're talking about 40gb of data to move and that's a lot of effort for my 3 mb/s internet speed to download and upload via ftp :p

Do you think deleting more of my world region file will help this? If I delete all region files older than a month will that speed things up or not make much difference?

10. Offline

XD 3VIL M0NKEY

You're welcome my friend :)
    If you can get the world any smaller, that's better. As I said, I would lower that amount of block distance. Minecraft is not written to support such chunk loading patterns.

11. Offline

JoshArgent

I've asked them if my server is on SSD and they said that almost all of the nodes are running on one. I asked them to double check mine is but it probably is.

If that's the case, what else would improve performance?

12. Offline

XD 3VIL M0NKEY

Having fewer plugins. Get rid of VanishNoPacket and get Essentials. They have a /vanish function.

13. Offline

JoshArgent

But does Essentials not just add more lag as there is a lot of 'un-needed' features?

14. Offline

XD 3VIL M0NKEY

No. Essentials is quite RAM and CPU saving, It contains commands and features that many standalone plugins have.
    These are my plugins, Just for reference.
    Plugins (41): World Portal, LagMeter, NoCheatPlus, WorldEdit, BlockBlocker, Buycraft, PorteCoulissante, Vault, Backpack, PermissionsEx, Multiverse-Core, Stargate, CombatTag, WorldGuard, NarrowtuxLib, MessageChangerLite, Lottery, iConomy, SuperKits, CoreProtect, Cannons, BookRules, Deadbolt, ChatLimiter, FancyText, AdminPrivateChat, BKCommonLib, ScheduledAnnouncer2, Votifier, mcMMO, MobArena, ChangeGameMode, Essentials, Jobs, JCVaultListener, Courier, EssentialsSpawn, Assassins, ChestShop, EssentialsChat, Factions

Any I have made bold are recommended as core plugins. This is my opinion anyway,
    I use about 6GB/32GB of RAM running all the plugins and the server if 20 players are on. However I can scale to 24GB/32GB if the server is full.

15. Offline

JoshArgent

I honestly don't think I can reduce lag that way, all my plugins are necessary. I removed 6 of them, including vanish no packet, and the lagged the same. I removed all plugins and still it lagged.

When there are no players online at all the chunks loaded stays at around 2000, is that normal? Or should they be unloaded?

Bump, still haven't gotten to the bottom of this. It is not plugin related.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.