Solved Are FTP connections policy-complacent?

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by ccrama, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

ccrama

Hello Bukkit,
    I am in the process of developing a highly-configurable backup plugin, and one feature I wanted to add was FTP support for backups. This would allow server owners to upload to one main backup drive from other sub servers, allow server hosts to easily backup client data with no hassle/work on their part, and allow you to upload files to your personal computer. The question I have though, is whether it is alright for a Bukkit plugin to access/modify external file systems. This would require a user inputting all their FTP details into a config.

Thanks,
    ccrama

2. Offline

Garris0n

I don't see why not. There are plugins that use databases, etc. Why not FTP?

ccrama likes this.
  3. Offline

ccrama

Garris0n That's what I was thinking, except this has the power to go in and delete files that are not part of a set database or file grouping.

4. Offline

Garris0n

The plugin itself can do that. Obviously, if your code does something malicious it will be rejected. Accessing the FTP alone isn't malicious, it's only malicious if you were to, say, delete everything, or install a bitcoin miner, etc.

5. Offline

ccrama

Yeah, good point. Thanks for clearing it up!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.