An official Bukkit Server?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by ZP18, Sep 22, 2015.

?

Would you like to see this happen?

1. Yes

92.9%
  2. No

7.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

timtower Administrator Administrator Moderator

@DanTDM2727 Lets get the idea further up before looking at staff or IP's

2. Offline

DrScream

It would had to be running 1.8.8 but Bukkit is dead I guess. They can't use Spigot can they, it it's Bukkit's official server??

3. Offline

@DrScream community running, not official.

4. Offline

DanTDM2727

@ZP18 and @timtower we should have a portal only staff can use and we test plugins on it

5. Offline

@DanTDM2727 Or a test server that starts when a plugin needs testing.
    Again, lets get the basics first.

6. Offline

Binner_Done

Is anyone hosting this then, I have a server that I wouldn't mind being used as an 'unofficial/official bukkit server'

Its not popular but has everything installed so if this idea is going forward I can host it.

Edit; I am going to make my server an 'Community Run Bukkit Server' now, will need some help starting it all off though, got some ideas for stuff already, posting a thread asking for help ;)

Edit; I have posted my thread about this; http://bukkit.org/threads/not-my-idea-community-run-bukkit-server.388833/

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  7. Offline

Halmerson

This would be awesome, a server mainly for devs.. and the Bukkit community?

8. Offline

Just for everybody...
    But managed by people from Bukkit

9. Offline

Halmerson

Oh ok

10. Offline

oceantheskatr

@DanTDM2727 I think that it would be a bad idea to have everyone that is admin and higher have access to FTP. Especially based on how many admins it would have. I agree they should possibly have access to the panel for starting and stopping server, but only admins that have shown how mature they are.

As for the server address (The IP is a set of 4 numbers) it would be an absolutely horrid idea to have a ddns.net subdomain, or basically any free sub domain. It would have to be done right! For instance, I have a YouTube channel called "TheMineShack". I could get a free sub domain like themineshack.ddns.net or buy my own domain (themineshack.net) and set up the DNS myself, so people can just my server with "server.themineshack.net". Which looks more professional and welcoming of the two? Probably the second one. A server address like mc.bukkitcommunity.net or something like that would be a very good idea :)

The server definitely needs a lot of thought, especially the type of server it'll be, as it shouldn't be just another shitty Factions/Prison/KitPvP/Hub server. It should have a unique idea, or at the very least an idea that isn't completely overused.

timtower likes this.
  11. Offline

DanTDM2727

so does that mean all the members on bukkit who want to help can be the only that are staff

12. Offline

Did you open the link that I posted somewhere? Nothing is sure, everything is open for suggestions.

13. Offline

Rege

If you want... I know someone who works at mojang and I could ask them if they could work on it to update it to 1.8.8

14. Offline

Feel free to do so, curious about the results.

15. Offline

oceantheskatr

What are you referencing when you say "it"

bwfcwalshy likes this.
  16. @Rege Update Bukkit? Grum has already talked about this in IRC. They were working on an update and iirc weere about half way done then the DMCA hit.

oceantheskatr likes this.
  17. Offline

Rege

Oh ok.
    I still was talking to this guy and he said that minecraft does not support modding so probably not. However I sent him another email, just waiting for a response

18. Offline

Necrodoom_V2

@Rege TL;DR Mojang supports modding when its convenient. Remember that Mojang havent acknowledged the existence of bukkit for multiple years.

Mojang will not release any sort of Bukkit update.

19. Offline

DoggyCode™

Tbh, staff wouldn't be much of a problem. Developers are mature staff, especially the experienced ones. You can see by the way they act and write at this forum. Plus, the bukkit community has never got something back, money could go to the hard working people

20. Offline

Tecno_Wizard

@DoggyCode™, honestly, money should go towards the server. People would spend too much time arguing about payouts.

oceantheskatr likes this.
  21. Offline

oceantheskatr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.