An official Bukkit Server?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by ZP18, Sep 22, 2015.

?

Would you like to see this happen?

1. Yes

92.9%
  2. No

7.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

ZP18

I am not sure if there already is, but I think an official Bukkit server would be cool, with like events, where people make a plugin in a day and they are tested and judged on the server. This would be really cool, I'm pretty sure Sponge does this, and I don't think Bukkit does, and this would be good to get the community closer.

2. Online

timtower Administrator Administrator Moderator

@ZP18 I can imagine the fun of it, but also the issues.
    Who is gonna host it? Who is gonna moderate it? Who is allowed on it? Because you will have loads of players wanting to join on an event based server. What kind of events?

3. Offline

ZP18

@timtower, for it to be official it would have to be hosted and managed by Bukkit staff, by events I mainly mean competitions, and it would be public! Bukkit staff don't have to be the only ones to moderate it, other Bukkit community members can apply, and help as well

4. Online

@ZP18 I can see the fun, but you still have the issue with the amount of players and a server that gets full.
    And how about time zones? The days that it is running etc? Because you probably know that we are doing this as volunteers and are living in different areas of the world.

5. Offline

ZP18

@timtower, I was thinking of a 24/7 public server, that will sometimes have event/competitions, I know there are timezones and some very far apart but, how do all servers manage with that? Player limit, there could be a player limit for the events but otherwise it will be like any other server

6. Online

@ZP18 They have more staff that they trust with what they are doing in different time zones, or they have the entire server locked down so nothing can happen, but then you need to have something on your server that keeps the players going.
    And I was more talking about the fact that you need a big number of slots for events, slots cost money, money isn't something that just rolls in anymore (if it even did once)

7. Offline

ZP18

Yes I know, money, it will take money to start up but server donations will be set up, and I am sure the server will be gaining profit after say a month or two, once it becomes popular. for events you could make it just limited to a certain amount, and first in best dressed, but I don't know if this would work, but I would love to see this happen. And like I said earlier I am pretty sure Sponge does this, "Don't you want to be better than your competition?" (Just a joke :D).

8. Online

@ZP18 Then with the money you get to the point of: it makes profit, who gets it? That is the difference between regular servers and one hosted by a community, we are volunteers, we don't need the money, we can stockpile it but what then?

9. Offline

ZP18

@timtower The people who are paying for the server (excluding donations) get the profit equally split (if more than on person).

10. Online

@ZP18 I am talking about the moment that the server is paid but there is still money left, then you would get to the point that you need to do something with it, splitting it between the hosters could become unethical as they aren't paying for it anymore (that is already done)

11. Offline

ZP18

Yes, but because they started the payment they deserve any of the profit and they may do whatever the will with it

12. Online

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  13. Offline

Necrodoom_V2

There wont be one, since bukkit is dead, and a lot of bukkit staff moved on to other things.

mbaxter likes this.
  14. Offline

Lolmewn

This has been tried before - it didn't work out too well. Since bukkit is dead too and there's no 1.8.8 Craftbukkit available, maybe just join the folks over at Sponge? ;)

mbaxter likes this.
  15. Offline

ZP18

@Necrodoom_V2 @Lolmewn, that is not necessarily true, Bukkit is still highly used, the Bukkit forums are still quite active and there are sites that provide downloads to later versions of CraftBukkit, there is also Spigot, and plus Bukkit is open-source!

EDIT: I understand it has been tried before, but just because it failed once, does it really mean it will fail again?

16. Online

Cleaned a conversation that started talking about the DMCA and Bukkit being dead.
    Would love to see a conversation that just leaves those out of the picture and just talk about the possibilities of this idea.

17. Offline

ZP18

@timtower Good Idea! People please give your say!

18. Sorry, answered to the wrong thread, anyway.

@ZP18 (the discussion here)

You do need a server software to run a server. What would constitute an "official Bukkit" server now? (1.8.8 ... Spigot? Or which successor of the Bukkit API the plugins may be written for? Spigot again? ). Concerning the "official" part, "the Bukkit project" is hard to determine these days, who owns right to impersonate "the Bukkit project", is it Mojang? That's not the fun part though, but "official + 1.8.x" reads as "complicated", if you ask me :). Of course you can also present some fun combination of plugins on this weeks random server mod, or just anything that plugins hosted here run on.

Concerning the public review of plugins, it could really be fun, i could even imagine that someone some day manages to make a profitable server of that kind, likely connected to youtube (-rs), but it does feel like a niche. The plugins to test might also have to be reviewed extra carefully code-wise. And for uniqueness, you'd probably have to be somehow more unique than all the other for-profit so-unique servers which are possibly using the very same plugins (+ a little extra perhaps). It would be more work to do it so random people can join and still enjoy testing "random plugins". You'd probably need to build extra stuff for each event and to adjust all the configuration to have the thing work with short-term playing. Possibly you even need coding to make that work and then you likely end up with a minigame-style or tournament-like event thing. For some plugins one needs a striking concept of how to organize gameplay, so the features can be presented to the maximum for players who will at most stay for an afternoon.

Usually server owners have a lot of work until they have a striking concept, and it could take even longer until a concept would pay off, for the case it is meant to create profit. It's like creating many servers, even yet unknown ones, so you need some really smart concept (not saying that it can't be simple, you can also work with bugs and oddities just like Minecraft ever has, if it is fun ....).

19. This has been tried before by the community and hasn't ended well. That's why there are none today. I also think that it will currently just cause debates due to the CB situation.

20. Offline

oceantheskatr

Spend it on giveaways! :DD

21. Online

That would indeed be a thing as that already happened, nothing has even been made yet.
    Like?

22. Offline

oceantheskatr

Steam games, maybe Minecraft: Story Mode as it comes out next month, Minecraft merch maybe? Depends how much of a hastle it would be. Stuff like that though.

timtower likes this.
  23. Offline

ZP18

Good Idea!
    That is true! Maybe it won't be official, but it can be owned and runned by the Bukkit Community still

24. Offline

Tecno_Wizard

@ZP18, the last official bukkit (including forks) is 1.7.9
    The owner of Bukkit is mojang.
    No one is in control of bukkit anymore. Not curse, not spigot, and mojang doesn't say anything about it. It's over.
    The replacements are not owned by the bukkit community.

25. Offline

ZP18

@Tecno_Wizard, Many people of the Bukkit community have access to a server jar, that has the Bukkit API, which means Bukkit plugins work with it, as long as the plugins are Bukkit it is fine I think, plus what is wrong with a 1.7.9 server?

26. Nothing, except that not too many players might join and not too many people will write new plugins running on 1.7.9. In addition the "what's official" question is slightly in the way, concerning who can speak for "the Bukkit project" by now.

Of course a "(featured) community server" can be made, or even a "Bukkit community server", but it's a much different situation compared to before the DMCA and all the following changes.

For the concept of "showcase plugins" you'd not depend on being "the official Bukkit project community server anyway", it's quite a unique concept, but in my opinion also very demanding.

mbaxter likes this.
  27. Offline

ZP18

@asofold, I said that might have to happen

28. Alright, sorry :). Was just repeating that, because it was mentioned again, slight mix up...

29. Offline

ZP18

@asofold, No problem, just making sure that you knew I was aware of that

30. Offline

DanTDM2727

@ZP18 and @timtower i would love to help with this server and i want to be staff on it i am staff on hypixel and on the server we can have all Staff that are admin and higher have access to console and plugin files and we can have a part of the server full of minigames and fun.

Edit: @timtower and @ZP18 i have an idea of and ip
    play.BukkitCommunity.me or BukkitMinigames.ddns.net or BukkitFun.net

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.